Old 20-10-2007, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree seat

I have just been watching a video of Monty`s shade garden and I like the
simplicity of the tree seat that I saw, is it as simple as it looks and
would it be difficult to make without plans, does any one know ?

kate

Old 20-10-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I have just been watching a video of Monty`s shade garden and I like the
simplicity of the tree seat that I saw, is it as simple as it looks and
would it be difficult to make without plans, does any one know ?

kate

You could buy a plan for a few pounds or dollars..........
http://www.woodcraftplans.com/u352.htm

Free woodworking plans for loads of stuff:
http://absolutelyfreeplans.com/OUTDO...r_projects.htm

Or just look at pictures on the web and improvise :~)
http://www.handmadeplaces.co.uk/seating_solutions.asp
http://www.birstall.co.uk/products/wglos0223.html
http://www.marmaxproducts.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=34
http://www.reelfurniture.co.uk/Tree%20Seat.htm
http://www.weddinggardencompany.co.u..._furniture.php

And no for something completely different:
http://www.gardenworld.co.uk/project-willow.asp

Jenny

Old 20-10-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for the links Jenny, all interesting but most a tad difficult
for me I think :-) I do however like the look of the Willow Tree seat,
delightful and possibly easier to do than woodwork :-)

kate

Old 20-10-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Kate Morgan" writes:

| Thank you for the links Jenny, all interesting but most a tad difficult
| for me I think :-) I do however like the look of the Willow Tree seat,
| delightful and possibly easier to do than woodwork :-)

I find it a LOT easier to ignore plans for such things, and design
my own - I can then redesign around problems. But, like most
ex-mathematicians, I have very good visuospatial abilities and no
problems with simple calculations and geometry - and I also have
a fair amount of experience at such things.

However, this is how you could do it, easily.

Get some 3'x2" round, treated posts, pointed at one end. You will
need at least 8, and perhaps 12. If you can get a post protector
(like a tin can with one end out, only of fairly heavy steel), that
would help, but I have never found one. Hammer them in until they
are level and the right height (be careful, both of the ends and
the level and height), and nail the top onto them with 4" nails.

To make the top, cut 4-6 sections for a hollow circle, octagon or
hexagon and fix them together with 8-12 6" metal strip connectors
and zinc plated screws on the bottom. O-level geometry helps with
the cutting, and you may have to lie on your back to fix the last
two joints around the tree. And, of course, the position of the
posts needs to be matched to the sections, for stability.

You need something like 2" timber for the top. Treatment is not
as critical as for the posts, but untreated deal won't last long.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-10-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you Nick that does sound a good way of doing things, I am still not
convinced that I can do it on my own but I expect I can get hubby to help or
do it for me :-) We do have one of those - post banging in things - very
useful it is too.

I like your idea Sacha, I know that I can do that and I know just where I
can out one, job for the winter. I have an old tree stump which is hollow so
last year I put some earth into it and grew thyme on the top, that makes a
lovely seat.

thank you both

kate

Old 20-10-2007, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/10/07 23:10, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:
snip
bit

snip

Tsk. 'big'.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-10-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Oct, 10:55, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I have just been watching a video of Monty`s shade garden and I like the
simplicity of the tree seat that I saw, is it as simple as it looks and
would it be difficult to make without plans, does any one know ?

I wanted one for years and wanted to be able to lie down ... I'm
lazy ;o) We didn't make any plans for it, but concidered the space and
how many of us could seat together, also eat, read and sleep on it.
The only difficulty was to cut around the trunk and we used a jigsaw
for it. The rest was cut with an ordinary saw. A friend has done a
huge one, several actually, for whole families to loundge on them.
There's the choice of shade, right under the tree and sun for
sunbathing further from the tree canopy. The designs are endless ....

http://cjoint.com/?kymbnRv4pm
http://cjoint.com/?kymcDjpBNS
http://cjoint.com/?kymc3DSfjs

Old 25-10-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for the links, the bed/seat looks delightful, something else to
think about during the dark winter evenings :-)

kate

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Rope around bench seat [email protected] United Kingdom 0 13-06-2007 09:00 AM
LT 125 - like to bypass the seat auto shut off zm Lawns 15 16-11-2006 12:22 AM
Replaced needle and seat. TP Lawns 5 09-08-2006 11:56 PM
Finding turf seat kits Nicky United Kingdom 1 25-05-2004 10:08 PM
OT - Is that seat saved? TOM KAN PA Gardening 1 26-07-2003 05:42 AM