Old 21-10-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another question about planting ivy

I have finally had enough of looking out of our patio doors into next doors
conservatory. So I have decided to screen it from my view.

our garden is north facing and any plants to provide a screen would be in
the shade.

I need all year cover. I tried bamboo but it will take forever to grow to
the desired height.

so I am now considering a 6ft x 4ft trellis and covering it with ivy. which
ivy will not take over my entire garden?!!

Old 21-10-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 21/10/07 14:22, in article , "Space"
wrote:

I have finally had enough of looking out of our patio doors into next
doors
conservatory. So I have decided to screen it from my view.

our garden is north facing and any plants to provide a screen would be in
the shade.

I need all year cover. I tried bamboo but it will take forever to grow
the desired height.

so I am now considering a 6ft x 4ft trellis and covering it with ivy.
which
ivy will not take over my entire garden?!!

I'm not sure where you live but for evergreen screening, flowers and rapid
growth, I would recommend Holboellia coriacea. Ivy can take some time to
get going, even though it is attractive. Holboellias are quite rampant
but
you can hack them back to where you want them quite mercilessly, after
they've flowered. The flowers are small, open in May and are very sweetly
scented.
In a fairly mild climate you might consider Clematis armandii, winter
flowering and evergreen.

Thanks for the suggestions - I am in Liverpool. Where we live can be quite
windy, our back garden has an open aspect.

ideally I would like to erect a pergola outside the patio doors and grow a
climber over it. A trellis may be a bit in your face to the neighbours.

also a flowering shrub, or one that should flower in the right conditions,
is more preferable to dense curtain of ivy.

I've checked out the clematis - it would not flower all over the pergola.
but I would get some flowers where the pergola does not sit in the sun.

I tried planting bamboo in pots but they are taking forever and a day to
creep their way over a five foot fence.

Old 21-10-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message
I've checked out the clematis - it would not flower all over the pergola.
but I would get some flowers where the pergola does not sit in the sun.

or even

"I've checked out the clematis - it would not flower all over the pergola.
but I would get some flowers where the pergola does sit in the sun."

Old 21-10-2007, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/07 14:43, in article ,
"Space" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

[...]

I think you'd need Holboellia latifolia which is a bit hardier. Charlie at
Roseland House may well have that. I hope he'll be along in a moment to
give his opinion! If it will work with you, I think it would be just what
you want and would be lovely over a pergola. You could, perhaps plant a
rose which doesn't mind a bit of north in its planting and then you'd have
both spring and summer flowering.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-10-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message
I have finally had enough of looking out of our patio doors into next

doors
conservatory. So I have decided to screen it from my view.

our garden is north facing and any plants to provide a screen would be

in
the shade.

I need all year cover. I tried bamboo but it will take forever to

grow to
the desired height.

so I am now considering a 6ft x 4ft trellis and covering it with ivy.

which
ivy will not take over my entire garden?!!

Plenty of choice he http://www.ivy.org/list.html Note that Hendera
Lelix 'Amber Waves' shows well in the shade. They will only grow as
large as you allow them, although I appreciate that some are more robust
than others. Best to chose your colour and variety and then research
its habits and cultural requirements.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 21-10-2007, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | In a fairly mild climate you might consider Clematis armandii, winter
| | flowering and evergreen.
|
| Not for a 6'x4' trellis! It really doesn't like being cut back to that.
| I have one that I try to keep on an 8'x5' wall, and am going to change
| it for something less vigorous.
|
| Would it 'go' like that in Liverpool? It's one of those things I've never
| had much personal success with but would colder areas not keep it under
| check? Or not enough?! You won't be going for C. rehederiana, then? ;-)
| Ours is a thug - all over the Rosa banksia, flowering madly now and
| evergreen with us, to boot. But goodness it's hearty!

Probably. It's a lot hardier than often given credit for.

But that isn't the only reason - it dislikes very hard pruning.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-10-2007, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/07 19:47, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | In a fairly mild climate you might consider Clematis armandii, winter
| | flowering and evergreen.
|
| Not for a 6'x4' trellis! It really doesn't like being cut back to that.
| I have one that I try to keep on an 8'x5' wall, and am going to change
| it for something less vigorous.
|
| Would it 'go' like that in Liverpool? It's one of those things I've never
| had much personal success with but would colder areas not keep it under
| check? Or not enough?! You won't be going for C. rehederiana, then? ;-)
| Ours is a thug - all over the Rosa banksia, flowering madly now and
| evergreen with us, to boot. But goodness it's hearty!

Probably. It's a lot hardier than often given credit for.

But that isn't the only reason - it dislikes very hard pruning.

Thanks, Nick. I hadn't experienced that with it myself so valuable info for
me and the OP.

Old 25-10-2007, 01:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Oct, 14:22, "Space" wrote:
I have finally had enough of looking out of our patio doors into next doors
conservatory. So I have decided to screen it from my view.
our garden is north facing and any plants to provide a screen would be in
the shade.
I need all year cover. I tried bamboo but it will take forever to grow to
the desired height.
so I am now considering a 6ft x 4ft trellis and covering it with ivy. which
ivy will not take over my entire garden?!!

Hiya Space. I always wanted the Hedera hibernica 'Digitata Crûg Gold'
because it is SO golden yellow.The Crug Gold is the closer I've found
to the one I planted out but mine has very little leaves. It has
brighten up the corner of my garden so brilliantly, all year round,
north facing and is climbing all over John, a sculpture below. Failing
that give any ivy a bright background, like I've done for our porch.
Green and pink is yummy and will have you smile all year round ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?kyp54dJos5
http://cjoint.com/?kyqchXwR6k

Old 25-10-2007, 02:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hmmmmm

I Would think or explore something else as we all now ivy
can take over the Garden & Cause all sorts of Problems
Regards
Skinty

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 25-10-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/07 02:33, in article , "skinty"
wrote:

Hmmmmm

I Would think or explore something else as we all now ivy
can take over the Garden & Cause all sorts of Problems
Regards
Skinty

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 21 Oct, 14:22, "Space" wrote:
[...]

How peculiar that 'skinty' and Helene Rudlin should write absolutely
identical posts. Yet another shape shift?

Old 25-10-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Oct, 09:29, Sacha wrote:
How peculiar that 'skinty' and Helene Rudlin should write absolutely
identical posts. Yet another shape shift?

FFS!!!! Would you give me a break and let me be?! Why are you
persecuting me this way at every chances you have, repeating what I
say, being rude at every opportunities, disrespecting me, accusing me
at every chance with any facts or ground or anything. LEAVE ME ALONE!!
I am Helene aka La Puce, everybody knows me, they know who I am, where
I work, what I do, my passion for gardening etc.

STOP YOUR VENDETTA SACHA HUBBARD FROM HILLHOUSE NURSERY and let people
be !!!!!

Old 25-10-2007, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Hmmmmm

I Would think or explore something else as we all now ivy
can take over the Garden & Cause all sorts of Problems
Regards
Skinty

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 21 Oct, 14:22, "Space" wrote:
[...]

Right. Sorry for the knee jerk reaction here everybody, but with Sacha
and I history - it's quite understandable.

Sacha, look closely at the post. Skinty has top posted and
contradicted me in fact. Second, he/she has never came here before and
I suspect a troll. Please for the peace of this newsgroup try to
refrain from fights. You've tried several times with Mike - it's
tedious now. Just enjoy people's post and don't think you are policing
this forum. Just take it easy and all will be well.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Another English Ivy Question Suzie-Q Gardening 4 22-11-2003 09:02 PM