Old 21-10-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default TPO Problem ??

I've come to cut a tree down in my garden. I contacted the Council to
check if there is a TPO on it. They looked at the maps and said over
the phone no.

So I am now arranging it. But 1 week later I have had a letter saying
that they have slapped a TPO on the tree.

Is this right and proper, and what can I do about it.

The letter says I have 14 days to appeal, and a judgment will be made
in 6 months time ??

The tree is a Titan Cedar that is only half grown, that is very close
to a main road, and there are overhead power cables only about 6ft
away.

What can I appeal against.

What if I had cut the tree down within that 1 week, would I have been
fined £30,000 for cutting a TPO tree down.
Old 21-10-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"postandrail" wrote
I've come to cut a tree down in my garden. I contacted the Council to
check if there is a TPO on it. They looked at the maps and said over
the phone no.

So I am now arranging it. But 1 week later I have had a letter saying
that they have slapped a TPO on the tree.

Is this right and proper, and what can I do about it.

The letter says I have 14 days to appeal, and a judgment will be made
in 6 months time ??

The tree is a Titan Cedar that is only half grown, that is very close
to a main road, and there are overhead power cables only about 6ft
away.

What can I appeal against.

What if I had cut the tree down within that 1 week, would I have been
fined £30,000 for cutting a TPO tree down.

Near here, in a wealthy area, was a copse of fully mature Oak trees all of
which had a TPO on them. A very rich Pikey bought the copse for £50,000. His
men then removed all the trees, every one.

The local Council said it wasn't worth pursuing him about the TPO's, it
would cost too much in legal fees.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-10-2007, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

For some strange reason, we have always known it as a Titan, but yes
its an Atlas. Probably due to some mix up in the Greek Gods or
something LOL.
What is a Titan cedar?

Old 22-10-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:03:43 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:25:50 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"postandrail" wrote
[...]

In Pickering a couple of weeks ago, the owners of the power cables running above
trees lining one of the main streets wanted to cut down, rather than trim 20
trees, that were getting to near their cables. The company claimed that they had
a legal right and obligation to do it.

but have backed down.
http://www.maltonmercury.co.uk/news/...Out.3381912.jp

The moral of this story is to check for yourselves what trees in your
area have TPOs on them, it is available on line from a lot of councils.

Old 22-10-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"postandrail" wrote in message
news
I've come to cut a tree down in my garden. I contacted the Council to
check if there is a TPO on it. They looked at the maps and said over
the phone no.

So I am now arranging it. But 1 week later I have had a letter saying
that they have slapped a TPO on the tree.

Is this right and proper, and what can I do about it.

Common practice I believe. Right and proper? who knows - it depends on the
tree.

The letter says I have 14 days to appeal, and a judgment will be made
in 6 months time ??

Go ask them how to appeal.

The tree is a Titan Cedar that is only half grown, that is very close
to a main road, and there are overhead power cables only about 6ft
away.

What can I appeal against.

The reasons they give for slapping a TPO on it. Ask what they are.

What if I had cut the tree down within that 1 week, would I have been
fined £30,000 for cutting a TPO tree down.

Not unless you are in a conservation area. Trees in a conservation area
generally have to be treated as if there was a TPO on every one.

You haven't actually said what reason you have for cutting down the tree?

Old 22-10-2007, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Oct, 22:13, postandrail wrote:
[[snip tale of council highhandedness]]
Sorry to hear about that. I had to sell my much-loved theatre shop
because of local authority stupidity.

Sorry again, but I keep seeing your posting and getting confused.
When i was alive TPO meant Travelling Post Office (here is the night
mail, crossing the border....)

TPO's 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 4 09-05-2012 09:15 PM
A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
ST AGUSTINE (SEVILLE) PROBLEM Ian Sawers Lawns 2 03-06-2003 04:32 PM
Leaf Problem: Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii' Larry Lucchetti Gardening 11 06-02-2003 12:31 PM
Is Henbit a problem in lawn? Datura Gardening 3 02-02-2003 03:02 PM