Old 28-10-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaf wars

The annual leaf war has commenced with a vengeance this weekend. A bit of
rain combined with quite high winds over the last couple of days has seen
leaves building up in drifts all around the back of the house and blowing
into the kitchen. I try to clear them before they turn to mush but the big
leaves of the Tulip tree seem almost indestructible. On a positive note the
Billy Goat is completely on top of the job and chops them up well, with the
wet leaf bag 100% functional again thanks to the new zip slider I mentioned
a few weeks back.
I love it when a cheap fix really works well.
My second big compost bin will soon be full at this rate, just as well I
finished emptying the one I built three years ago, the slightly improved
version will be needed again after a couple more weeks like this one. I have
re used the mesh side panels from the old one but have replaced the front
with some of the old shed floor boards, sprayed with a bit of fence
treatment it looks quite smart. I look forward to having masses of
leafmould/compost again next year to condition the poor soil we have here.

Mike

Old 29-10-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:00:12 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

[...]

I saw something recently that said collect them in black bin bags and
poke holes in with a fork, water and leave for 3 years.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 29-10-2007, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

[...]

I tried that and I got a black mucky smelly mess in black bags.

What does work is the leaf vacuum which cuts them up finely, then just dump
them in a pile somewhere in the corner of the garden out of the wind, and
use as necessary.

It doesn't do a good job in the wet though, best to get them daily while
they're still dry and easy to "hoover" [1] up. Soul-destroying job on
Saturday, when I looked again on Sunday there were more on the road,
pavement, lawn etc than there were when I started :-)

[1] With apologies to Dyson.

Old 29-10-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

[...]

That's the good thing about the Billy Goat. It sucks up everything wet or
dry, chops it up, and loads it into the bag. I find that when done wet the
leaves compact down more and compost better. It is better still if you have
a "wet leaf" bag for the machine, as the normal bag is not nice to handle
after its been filled with wet leaves.

Mike

Old 29-10-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
What does work is the leaf vacuum which cuts them up finely, then just

dump
them in a pile somewhere in the corner of the garden out of the wind, and
use as necessary.

I've been out on the ride on mower every other day for the last two weeks.
Got a compost heap that's now 15 foot x 10 foot and 5 foot high :-(

Old 30-10-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:56:45 -0000, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

[...]

Have you moved out of your narrowboat?
--

Never. But at weekends I'm Mandy, the contract gardener :-)

Leaf wars Muddymike United Kingdom 12 18-11-2008 05:15 PM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
A 'miracle' in the forest: Deal to save old trees shows there's room for compromise in timber wars Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 01-08-2003 07:42 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
Stars Wars logging machine? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 9 19-12-2002 10:54 PM