Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flies persisting again into winter

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

Indeed I do. And I remember winter mornings so cold that my little fingers
couldn't fasten the rubber buttons. Why were there so many? And why were
they called *liberty* bodices when they were so binding?

I thought it was because they were a lot less binding than the corsets
they replaced?

Did children wear corsets in the thirties?

Mary

--
Kay

Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Did children wear corsets in the thirties?

They were invented in 1908.
http://www.contourandcream.co.uk/corsets.htm
Liberty Bodice introduced - this was worn by many children until the 1950s
and
was produced until 1974. The idea for the bodice came from Frederick Cox,
and
his daughter, Freda Cox, became the first model for the marketing
campaign. The
original rubber buttons came from Market Harborough's Harboro' Rubber
Co. -
still a successful industry today.
--

Martin

Live in Harborough, the Rubber company have just sold their old original
premesis and moved, most of its been knocked down apart from the original
listed mill from when it was called Danite Mills.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

Indeed I do. And I remember winter mornings so cold that my little fingers
couldn't fasten the rubber buttons. Why were there so many? And why were
they called *liberty* bodices when they were so binding?

I thought it was because they were a lot less binding than the corsets
they replaced?

Did children wear corsets in the thirties?

No idea, wasn't around then!

But the Liberty bodice seems to date from 1908
--
Kay
Old 07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong

--
It would be interesting to be able to compare what is happening now with what happened in the medieval warming period (circa 1100AD) or even the Roman warming period at about 200AD but I suspect such things were not recorded in those days as they would not have been particularly important to them.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They were invented in 1908.
http://www.contourandcream.co.uk/corsets.htm
Liberty Bodice introduced - this was worn by many children until the 1950s
and
was produced until 1974. The idea for the bodice came from Frederick Cox,
and
his daughter, Freda Cox, became the first model for the marketing
campaign. The
original rubber buttons came from Market Harborough's Harboro' Rubber
Co. -
still a successful industry today.
--

Martin

I always wanted a proper one, nagged and nagged about it, and ended up with
a plain old vest! not impressed!!

Cymbidium coming into flower again David Hill United Kingdom 1 11-10-2015 10:56 PM
White flies at it again Guv Bob Lawns 12 18-05-2011 09:51 AM
try persisting the junction's real fax and Margaret will prompt you Ratana Ponds 0 18-11-2007 04:52 PM
Steveo Spanked Again - Was: rat does the tard dance...again Aratzio Lawns 35 10-07-2004 01:02 AM