Old 19-11-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default photographing flowers

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

I am safe in the knowledge that she has no interest in the computer
other
than playing card games (not poker!) and doing guide accounts/
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie. Most interested to know. What programme is she using for Guide
Accounts? I have just started a new business and am in fact doing the
first
interim accounts now and using nothing less than an Excell Spreadsheet.
(Throwing up some nasty Tax Liabilities as well:-((( )

Mike

I am afraid like me she uses an Excell spread sheet, son however uses
Sage, but thats way over the top for whats required here.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Sage WAY over the top. Used a Wages Account system in the past for paying
wages. Forgot what it's called, but with no staff, no wages :-))))))

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 19-11-2007, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Nov, 14:43, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:16:21 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/11/07 13:45, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 19/11/07 12:42, in article , "Nigel
Cliffe" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
snip
Sally, can you tell us where you got your fold up one? That sounds
extremely useful.

You'll find mini tripods in any camera shop (be it Jessops or the local high
street) for less than £20.

snip of useful info

Thanks for all this, Nigel. I'll take a trip into Totnes and see what I can
find there.

Liz may be rubbish at removing spiders webs but she makes and excellent
tripod!!

Oh yummie. A match made in heaven. ;-) You old romantic, you!

You can wrap this one around your assistant's headhttp://www.getsalt.com/news.php?id=226
--

Martin

I have asked Santa for a gorilla pod for Xmas
David Hill
Old 19-11-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Nov, 14:43, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:16:21 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/11/07 13:45, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"

Cliffe" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
snip
Sally, can you tell us where you got your fold up one? That sounds
extremely useful.

You'll find mini tripods in any camera shop (be it Jessops or the local high
street) for less than £20.

snip of useful info

Thanks for all this, Nigel. I'll take a trip into Totnes and see what I can
find there.

Liz may be rubbish at removing spiders webs but she makes and excellent
tripod!!

Oh yummie. A match made in heaven. ;-) You old romantic, you!

You can wrap this one around your assistant's headhttp://www.getsalt.com/news.php?id=226
--

Martin

I would love it if you could get an infra red remote so that you could
set the camera up neat the bird table, feeder or what ever and then
could move away a bit but still be able to triger the shots from a
distance, not like the old cable shutter release.
David Hill
Old 19-11-2007, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.ephotozine.com

I would suggest you have a look at this site, there are some wonderful
pictures on there to look at and the people are very friendly and helpful.

kate

Old 19-11-2007, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Some of you post amazing close ups of flowers and panoramic views of
gardens. What camera do you sure?
I listened to an experienced photographer some 2 years ago and got a
Fuji finepix 602 but it is incredibly complicated for what I want to do
, what with macro switches, manual controls, close up and fast and slow
speed settings etc. It is also heavy and quite bulky though I have no
doubt to an experienced photographer it is the Bees Knees.

The problem is that close up work is difficult to do well. You sometimes
need all those settings to do a good job. I recommend getting a good book
and spending some time working out how to set up your camera to take good
close ups.

Here is one I took this summer although to be honest I'm not very happy with
it...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8287/dragonvi0.jpg

Old 19-11-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* Janet Tweedy wrote, On 19/11/2007 10:27:

Brother suggest a Panasonic dmc tz3 and the original friend who is also
photographer says to consider a canon umix 750

I've got a Panasonic DMC-F27, which I'm very pleased with. It has the
option of numpty mode (they're more polite than I am and call it
"Simple" mode), where it acts as a very good point and shoot but, if
you want, it can do all sorts of clever stuff as well. Being a
numpty, I almost always use it in point and shoot mode, although I
occasionally experiment with Macro for close ups.

You can see some of my photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66407485@N00/.

--
Cheers, Serena
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful
Old 20-11-2007, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes

Hi Janet,
I have just bought a Fuji FinePix 5600 (refurbished --
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/refurb/shop.php ) for a very good
price.
It is in a different league to my old Olympus C-700.
With the new camera you can use macro to around 5 ft, and wit 10x
optical zoom it's a nice thing, geting used to it before going out to
Egypt and Jordan next year.
If you are havihg problems with your camera why not contact your local
Camera club
http://www.cameraclubs.co.uk/images/...d-Searches.jpg

David Hill

Well I do knew several camera club members but they can't resolve the
weight of the finepix and the bulkiness and there are so many variations
I am afraid I've realised that I just need a point and click which
doesn't run out of battery time in one session!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-11-2007, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Puzzled over the weight as mine is much lighter than my 35mm slr camara
and lighter than the Kodak digital it replaced.

Mine's fairly heavy if you wear it round your neck.

Very puzzled by the battery issue as I bought mine in June have taken
over 500 pictures and never changed the batteries. The only thing I can
think is you are transferring the pictures direct from the camara?

The batteries do not last very long at all. I did switch off the back
screen in the end as that saves time but they certainly don't last as
long as a friends who has the previous model. Whenever you go to use it
you know it needs the batteries changed first! Doesn't seem to hold a
charge on any batteries I use.I've bought several sets (it uses 4
rechargeable AA ones at a time. The previous model used a single small
battery that could be recharged in situ, much better.

I do shut it off between shots when I can.

I am
now able to take the card out and bung it in a slot in the computer so no
battery power is needed, either that or the batteries have had it.

I do transfer the pictures to the computer via the link but not after
each session. Never knew it took energy to transfer pictures. I've
learnt something from that anyway! Thank you.

I use the screen at the back rather than view finder as well but always
turn off after taking pictures.

Well not easy though if you are going round a garden for three hours,
you never know when you suddenly might need it

But would agree that it does not slip into a pocket, I tend to leave it
around my neck but you do look a bit of a tourist!

Old 20-11-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Some of you post amazing close ups of flowers and panoramic views of
gardens. What camera do you sure?
I listened to an experienced photographer some 2 years ago and got a
Fuji finepix 602 but it is incredibly complicated for what I want to
do , what with macro switches, manual controls, close up and fast and
slow speed settings etc. It is also heavy and quite bulky though I
have no doubt to an experienced photographer it is the Bees Knees.

Would like to get a new camera (flog the old one - we're not a 2
camera household!) something I can use on flowers plus getting
panoramic views of gardens and our club shows etc to put in the
newsletter. (As Editor and printer I have to resort to drastic
measure sometimes to get content for the pages!)

Brother suggest a Panasonic dmc tz3 and the original friend who is
also photographer says to consider a canon umix 750

Any recommendations?

Janet

I have a Ricoh Caplio R6 (R7 just released). Macro will focus down to 1 cm
(NB can access macro with one touch, which is true of many digital cameras
these days). Optical zoom is 28 - 200 mm - fine for panoramic shots.

It's very light -160 g inc battery. Size is 100 x 55 x 23 mm (lens retracts
completely into body).

Although I haven't tried it yet, you can set it up to take photos at set
intervals of from 5 secs to 3 hours. Might be interesting to take a flower
as it opens and closes.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 20-11-2007, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:27:37 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

I would love it if you could get an infra red remote so that you could
set the camera up neat the bird table, feeder or what ever and then
could move away a bit but still be able to triger the shots from a
distance, not like the old cable shutter release.

Google finds plenty of them out there.

Canon for example (works over 300' away)

Some are not cheap, mind you.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 20-11-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/07 13:19, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:52:43 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 19/11/07 11:46, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:27:40 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Whatever you get, it is worth its weight in gold to get a tripod. I have a
standard one and a mini, fold-up one which fits into a handbag. Also if you
are doing close-ups, get a friend to stand out of shot and hold the flower
still :-)

We have a Panasonic DMC-LZ5 but that's now about 2 years old. We're very
pleased with it and it has a setting for taking e.g. flower close ups.
There are probably newer models. But I agree about the tripod. My hands
are shaky at the best of times (family trait) and my son has begged me to
get a tripod. ;-)
Sally, can you tell us where you got your fold up one? That sounds
extremely useful.

Tony bought it for me as a present some years ago, and thinks it came from a
local camera shop, Capital Cameras (we were then in Sussex); they don't seem
to have a web site that I can find easily. There is absolutely no maker's
name on it, but it looks a bit like the Manfrotto MN709B Digi Tabletop Black
Tripod shown on the Park Cameras web site:
http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/880

It's available in quite a few other places as well, for instance:
http://www.camera-
shop.co.uk/acatalog/Manfrotto_Digi_Tripods_with_Integral_Head.html (watch
the line wrap) so you could always shop around - or ask in a good camera
shop.

Mine measures just over 7 inches in length collapsed, and the retractable
legs pull out more-or-less sideways so that it's only about 7 and a half
inches extended. It's absolutely brilliant to give you that extra bit of
stability, and very lightweight (like you, I have a back problem, so don't
like toting around lots of heavy clutter).

Thanks for all this, Sally. I've ordered one of the gorilla pods for Ray
and one for my son but would also like the more conventional type you're
describing.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-11-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/07 16:24, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:41:03 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/11/07 15:29, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:48:08 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/11/07 14:43, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:16:21 +0000, Sacha

wrote:

On 19/11/07 13:45, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
snip

Liz may be rubbish at removing spiders webs but she makes and excellent
tripod!!

Oh yummie. A match made in heaven. ;-) You old romantic, you!

You can wrap this one around your assistant's head
http://www.getsalt.com/news.php?id=226

3 kilos of revenge. ;-)

http://gorillapod.nl/

http://gorillapod.nl/images/action11.jpg

http://gorillapod.nl/images/action09.jpg

Amazing that's the Cahor we used to buy direct from the vineyard.

I really, really hope Charlie knows better than to show these to Liz. I can
just imagine her reaction to being asked to wear a tripod on her head! Can
I buy this in UK, I wonder. Might be a rather good present for someone.

This one attaches to champagne bottles

http://reviews.cnet.com/MonsterPod/4...1.html?tag=vid

So do I! ;-)

Old 20-11-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/07 16:28, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:41:03 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/11/07 15:29, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:48:08 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/11/07 14:43, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:16:21 +0000, Sacha

wrote:

On 19/11/07 13:45, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
snip

Liz may be rubbish at removing spiders webs but she makes and excellent
tripod!!

Oh yummie. A match made in heaven. ;-) You old romantic, you!

You can wrap this one around your assistant's head
http://www.getsalt.com/news.php?id=226

3 kilos of revenge. ;-)

http://gorillapod.nl/

http://gorillapod.nl/images/action11.jpg

http://gorillapod.nl/images/action09.jpg

Amazing that's the Cahor we used to buy direct from the vineyard.

I really, really hope Charlie knows better than to show these to Liz. I can
just imagine her reaction to being asked to wear a tripod on her head! Can
I buy this in UK, I wonder. Might be a rather good present for someone.

amazon.co.uk sells them

Done. Very many thanks for that, Martin - those will make a good couple of
presents.

Old 20-11-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/11/07 15:50, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 19/11/07 13:19, in article
, "Sally Thompson"

wrote:

[...]

I apologise for following my own post but I asked my son which is his camera
and his response was" Mine is a Nikkon D70 and the lens is the one that
comes with the camera. *If someone wants to do REALLY good photos, they need
to get a special macro lens." Being of the point and press brigade myself,
this means little to me but I hope it helps others. (And this new Mac
keyboard is going to gibber me into an early collapse!)