Old 27-11-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strange plant, can anyone idenify it for me?

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

I don't share your certainty. It gives me the impression of one of the
giant Herb Roberts. Geranium maderense seems the best match for the
leaf shape. (And I don't see a match among the umbellifers in
Keble-Martin.)

Same thought here Stewart, looks like some of my more vigorous
geraniums.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-11-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Bob is quite right, there is no doubt that the plant in the pic is
Geranium palmatum. Whilst the leaves appear similar to those of G.
maderense as mentioned by Stewart, the pinnae of the latter species
are just that bit more narrow, more deeply indented and sharper at the
apices. Although it is one of the more tender species, it seems to be
hardier than both G. maderense and G. canariense. G. palmatum is well
established in my garden - as prolific and almost as 'weedy' as our
native 'herb robert' (Geranium robertianum). It has escaped and is
naturalised in the lane at the back of the garden. Luckily it is
easily removed where it is not wanted.

As a garden plant it has much to commend it; carrying very large
clusters of sizeable purple-red flowers over several weeks in summer.
It is sometimes claimed to be biennial, but I have a plant that will
be 7 years old by next spring. Well worth holding on to Phil - I
think you will enjoy the show of flowers next summer. By then the
plant will have developed into a fair sized mound of foliage and you
can expect many hundreds of 3cms+ flowers carried on branching racemes
to 1m. high or more.
Old 27-11-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote ...
[...]

None of mine ever last more than a few years, however they do seed about
(especially in the block paving!!!) so we are never without a few in various
stages of growth. I have not had to plant any after being given the first
few some years ago but neither have I had a problem with it becoming over
abundant. Whilst not as spectacular as G.maderense in flower, it is still a
lovely plant and well worth growing for both it's rather exotic looking
leaves and form and it's attractive flowers which are held up to 4ft tall.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-11-2007, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/11/07 13:54, in article
, "Phil"
wrote:

Hi,

I found a strange plane growing in my garden, not sure if it's a weed
or not so left it for the moment.
Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks

Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21280746@N02/2068854382/

Herb Robert, at a guess. Do a Google. If it is that, it's a pretty thing
but keep an eye on it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-11-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
Hi,

I found a strange plane growing in my garden, not sure if it's a weed
or not so left it for the moment.
Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks

Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21280746@N02/2068854382/

---------------------
There's five plants there.
Which one do you mean?.
Doug.
---------------------

Old 28-11-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

None of mine ever last more than a few years, however they do seed about
(especially in the block paving!!!) so we are never without a few in various
stages of growth. I have not had to plant any after being given the first
few some years ago but neither have I had a problem with it becoming over
abundant. Whilst not as spectacular as G.maderense in flower, it is still a
lovely plant and well worth growing for both it's rather exotic looking
leaves and form and it's attractive flowers which are held up to 4ft tall.

Not hardy in Leeds, but self seeding, so I have had it every year for
the last ?8 years. Not as tall as 4 ft, but a very welcome plant.
--
Kay
Old 28-11-2007, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:10:44 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I don't share your certainty. It gives me the impression of one of the
giant Herb Roberts. Geranium maderense seems the best match for the leaf
shape. (And I don't see a match among the umbellifers in Keble-Martin.)

That was my first instinct too. I'd not pull it up. See if it
survives the winter and flowers, and then identification will be
easier.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-11-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/11/07 15:10, in article lid, "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article
,
Phil writes:

| I found a strange plane growing in my garden, not sure if it's a weed
| or not so left it for the moment.
| Can anyone tell me what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21280746@N02/2068854382/

Almost impossible to tell until it flowers. It's almost certainly
one of the Umbelliferae, but that leaf shape isn't rare in them.
Nor are purplish stems. Somone may well be able to make a good
guess, but that's all it can be - I can't.

I don't share your certainty. It gives me the impression of one of the
giant Herb Roberts. Geranium maderense seems the best match for the leaf
shape. (And I don't see a match among the umbellifers in Keble-Martin.)

G. maderense isn't hardy even down here. Would it be in Worthing? G.
palmatum goes through the winter here sending up searingly bright green
leaves in early spring. That pic does show the red stems of G. maderense,
though.

Old 28-11-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:19:45 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/11/07 13:54, in article
, "Phil"
wrote:

Hi,

I found a strange plane growing in my garden, not sure if it's a weed
or not so left it for the moment.
Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks

Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21280746@N02/2068854382/

Herb Robert, at a guess. Do a Google. If it is that, it's a pretty thing
but keep an eye on it.

Leaves too big for herb robert, not shiny enough for sweet ciceley,
but just like g. maderense, which seeds like a weed in my friend's
coastal garden in Weymouth but never survives a winter in mine near
Bristol.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-11-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/07 14:48, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:19:45 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/11/07 13:54, in article
, "Phil"
wrote:

Hi,

I found a strange plane growing in my garden, not sure if it's a weed
or not so left it for the moment.
Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks

Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21280746@N02/2068854382/

Herb Robert, at a guess. Do a Google. If it is that, it's a pretty thing
but keep an eye on it.

Leaves too big for herb robert, not shiny enough for sweet ciceley,
but just like g. maderense, which seeds like a weed in my friend's
coastal garden in Weymouth but never survives a winter in mine near
Bristol.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks,Pam. That answers my re-think post of today. We can't grow G.
maderense here so it's interesting to know it can grow in gardens nearer the
coast. I've seen it in Tresco but don't think I've seen it round here.