Old 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

In message , Granity
writes

someone;763069 Wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
...-
In article , Sacha
writes
-
Er.......I don't know who you are. This seems to be an unusual shrub.
If
give you the name of the street, effectively I give the world the
location
of an individual I don't even know. This plant is in a private
garden.
-

On the other hand Sacha, if you wrote a nice letter to the occupants
on
the lines of
"The Gardening UK Internet group is enthralled by the tree in your
front
garden and would love to identify it. Can you tell us more about it?.

Adding your name and address

I am sure that they wouldn't mind you asking and might give you an
answer!
-- -

That's a good idea. I saw a lovely small tree flowering at the back of
front garden in Cheltenham some years ago, so I plucked up my courage
and
knocked on the door. When I asked what it was, the elderly lady said
it was
a Magnolia 'Wada's Memory', and she was very pleased that someone had
noticed it.

someone

Found it. Solanum integrifolium. they come in green red or yellow

http://tinyurl.com/2zpugq

http://tinyurl.com/ynlmtl

I don't think you have.

The photographs you cite show a persistent calyx or epicalyx at the
proximal end of the fruit; Sacha's photographs don't have that.

Also, from

http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garde.../eggplant.html

"Fruit of the Solanum integrifolium and S. gilo lack a solid interior
and resemble their tomato relatives. The "tomato-fruited eggplant" plant
ranges in height to about 4 feet and typically bears fruit that is 2
inches in diameter or less. Common skin colors range in hues of green,
red or orange, as well as bicolor or striped. "

"A gentle reminder here - temperatures below 50°F can damage these
tropical natives so, if an unexpected cold spell hits, cover the plants
to provide protection. "
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

someone;763069 Wrote:
"Janet Tweedy"
wrote in message
...-
In article , Sacha
writes
-
[...]

Fruit is right on the outside, but I don't think if you sliced it that it
would look like the original but more like a tomato!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Granity
writes

someone;763069 Wrote:
[...]

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/...asp?prodid=988

"“Mini Pumpkins” Solanum integrifolium (also “Hmong Eggplant”)

Have you seen those cute miniature pumpkins on a branch at the florists
before? Well, this is the plant that makes them. To 3’ tall with
interesting leaves having spines along the mid-rib. "

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-12-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/12/07 16:18, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
snip Found it. Solanum integrifolium. they come in green red or yellow

http://tinyurl.com/2zpugq

http://tinyurl.com/ynlmtl

Fruit is right on the outside, but I don't think if you sliced it that it
would look like the original but more like a tomato!

It does look right on the outside, though the pics I found show the fruit as
the wrong colour and possibly too large - hard to tell. I've forwarded the
link to my friends and will see what they think. They didn't appear to
think the leaf was in any way 'complicated' but as I said before, they're
not gardeners so might not realise the importance of anything other than
'the leaves are green' ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk