Old 29-11-2007, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit and therefore plant ID, please

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/11/07 09:01, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , (Nick
Maclaren) writes:

| In article ,

(Nick Maclaren) writes:
| |
| | There is one species of Chaenomeles that I have not seen (or at
least
| | not noticed at Kew or elsewhere!) - C. cathayensis. Given that it
| | looks SO much like one of that group of the Rosaceae, and I can't
| | think of any that match except for Chaenomeles, that's work looking
| | into.
|
| There is also Pseudocydonia sinensis, but that doesn't usually have
| grooved fruit, either!

And Docynia, and possibly a few other genera that I have never heard
of! But I can't find any pictures or fruit descriptions of most of
them - Bean has enough to make grooving on Docynia doubtful, and to
rule out Heteromeles, but the Web fails pretty dismally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks to you Nick, Stewart and Janet but I'm afraid it's still not pinned
down. None of the fruits you've discussed are grooved enough. I think
you
could say these are about the size of a chestnut and in fact, the ribbing
makes me think of a peeled, cooked chestnut, though on these fruit it's
deeper, more pronounced. As I say, there's a faint citrus scent from it.
However, you've given me a few tracks to go down, so I'll let you know if
it
does turn anything up. In the end, I suspect she'll just have to knock on
the door and ask - probably to be told it was there when the owner moved
in!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Looks rather like a Japanese Flowering Quince there is a similar variety
at
www.obsthof-wassermann.de/cido2.jpg or Vulgaris
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...refnum=1301516 don't be
too phased by the ridging on our plant the fruits varied from almost smooth
to very wrinkly not supposed to be edible although Quince Jelly is a
possibility the thorns are probably on par with Himalayen Blackberry though
not a long.
Derek

Old 29-11-2007, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Derek" writes:

| Looks rather like a Japanese Flowering Quince ...

Very true! The Latin name for that is Chaenomeles :-)

What none of us can remember seeing is one of them that is ridged
like a pumpkin.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-11-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/11/07 23:46, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/11/07 10:48, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Thanks to you Nick, Stewart and Janet but I'm afraid it's still not
pinned
down. None of the fruits you've discussed are grooved enough.

What about posting to the RHS?

Could do - good idea. I'll also ask her to knock on the door, though and
take a photo of the whole thing. She describes the bush as looking as if
it's covered in lots of little pumpkins!

Couldn't...ahem...tell us what street it's on, could you...?

someone

Sorry, no! Even if I could, I don't think I should, if you see what I mean.

Old 30-11-2007, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/11/07 23:07, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| The seeds are loose in their chamber with no flesh clinging to them and
| there seem to be two seeds to each chamber on each half of the fruit
halves.
| IOW more like an apple, yes.

Yes, but what's the outside the the chamber like? Does it have a
definite, relatively tough, inner layer or not?

And, related to that, how many chambers are there? Robert said
that cutting it the other way would help. If there really are only
two chambers, each with two seeds, the plot thickens ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Cutting it transversely there are five seed chambers. Some have two small
seeds in, some have one larger seed, about the size of an apple seed, just a
little smaller. The chambers are well defined and yes, I suppose you could
say there's a lining to them which is whiter than the pale green flesh of
the fruit itself.

Old 30-11-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Cutting it transversely there are five seed chambers. Some have two small
| seeds in, some have one larger seed, about the size of an apple seed, just a
| little smaller. The chambers are well defined and yes, I suppose you could
| say there's a lining to them which is whiter than the pale green flesh of
| the fruit itself.

That matches the Pomoideae pretty well! I would still bet on it being
Chaenomeles or similar, because only the ridging is anomalous. But
exactly what?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-11-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Cutting it transversely there are five seed chambers. Some have two small
| seeds in, some have one larger seed, about the size of an apple seed, just a
| little smaller. The chambers are well defined and yes, I suppose you could
| say there's a lining to them which is whiter than the pale green flesh of
| the fruit itself.

That matches the Pomoideae pretty well! I would still bet on it being
Chaenomeles or similar, because only the ridging is anomalous. But
exactly what?

5 locules is right for Chaenomeles (but also for Cydonia, and several
other pome fruits).

The fruiting pedicels of Chaenomeles are short or absent, which would be
another feature to verify.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-11-2007, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/11/07 11:11, in article , "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Cutting it transversely there are five seed chambers. Some have two small
| seeds in, some have one larger seed, about the size of an apple seed, just
| little smaller. The chambers are well defined and yes, I suppose you
could
| say there's a lining to them which is whiter than the pale green flesh of
| the fruit itself.

That matches the Pomoideae pretty well! I would still bet on it being
Chaenomeles or similar, because only the ridging is anomalous. But
exactly what?

5 locules is right for Chaenomeles (but also for Cydonia, and several
other pome fruits).

The fruiting pedicels of Chaenomeles are short or absent, which would be
another feature to verify.

Here's another pic of it cut across the fruit. You can see the indentations
of the ridges clearly. As I say, it's about the size of a chestnut and a
little reminiscent of one when peeled and cooked.
http://i4.tinypic.com/7yofkfd.jpg

--
Sacha

Old 30-11-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Here's another pic of it cut across the fruit. You can see the indentations
| of the ridges clearly. As I say, it's about the size of a chestnut and a
| little reminiscent of one when peeled and cooked.
| http://i4.tinypic.com/7yofkfd.jpg

The latter is NOT like Chaenomeles! I remain baffled.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-11-2007, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/11/07 12:25, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Here's another pic of it cut across the fruit. You can see the
indentations
| of the ridges clearly. As I say, it's about the size of a chestnut and a
| little reminiscent of one when peeled and cooked.
| http://i4.tinypic.com/7yofkfd.jpg

The latter is NOT like Chaenomeles! I remain baffled.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I'm almost relieved, Nick because I wondered if I was trying to ID something
incredibly obvious. The nearest seems to be the Hodgsonia for external
appearance but not remotely like it for size. These just look very small
pumpkins! I'm going to prod them to take a photo.

Old 30-11-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/11/07 23:05, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/11/07 23:46, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/11/07 10:48, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Thanks to you Nick, Stewart and Janet but I'm afraid it's still not
pinned
down. None of the fruits you've discussed are grooved enough.

What about posting to the RHS?

Could do - good idea. I'll also ask her to knock on the door, though
and
take a photo of the whole thing. She describes the bush as looking as
if
it's covered in lots of little pumpkins!

Couldn't...ahem...tell us what street it's on, could you...?

someone

Sorry, no! Even if I could, I don't think I should, if you see what I
mean.

Why not? It takes years to grow a tree from seed, so it's not interrupting
anybody's business.

I have some small (half-metre) Dovyalis caffra trees looking for good homes
in a warm environment (maybe IoW), and also Eugenia uniflora that produces
delicious fruits. I have enough trees so that I can test test/sacrifice
some of them this winter. If some of them die, I'll know to keep the rest
indoors.

Er.......I don't know who you are. This seems to be an unusual shrub. If I
give you the name of the street, effectively I give the world the location
of an individual I don't even know. This plant is in a private garden.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Er.......I don't know who you are. This seems to be an unusual shrub. If I
give you the name of the street, effectively I give the world the location
of an individual I don't even know. This plant is in a private garden.

On the other hand Sacha, if you wrote a nice letter to the occupants on
the lines of
"The Gardening UK Internet group is enthralled by the tree in your front
garden and would love to identify it. Can you tell us more about it?.
Adding your name and address

I am sure that they wouldn't mind you asking and might give you an
answer!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes

Er.......I don't know who you are. This seems to be an unusual shrub. If
give you the name of the street, effectively I give the world the location
of an individual I don't even know. This plant is in a private garden.

On the other hand Sacha, if you wrote a nice letter to the occupants on
the lines of
"The Gardening UK Internet group is enthralled by the tree in your front
garden and would love to identify it. Can you tell us more about it?.
Adding your name and address

I am sure that they wouldn't mind you asking and might give you an answer!
--

That's a good idea. I saw a lovely small tree flowering at the back of a
front garden in Cheltenham some years ago, so I plucked up my courage and

someone