Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed potato sorts

Hi..

Next season I'd like to try out the following sorts (seed potatoes are
available here):

# Arran Victory
# King Edward

Any suggestions..?

Other recommendations..?

Thanks in advance..
--
cu
Marco
Old 01-12-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marco Schwarz wrote:
:: Hi..
::
:: Next season I'd like to try out the following sorts (seed potatoes
:: are available here):
::
:: # Arran Victory
:: # King Edward
::
:: Any suggestions..?
:
:
::
:: Other recommendations..?
::
:: Thanks in advance..
:: --
:: cu
:: Marco

King Edwards are wonderful but the slugs think so too. I would definitely
use nemaslug if I were to grow those to reduce/stop any damage. My favourite
for an early is Pentland Javelin and I am moving to the T and M blight
resistant ones on the whole as we always get blight here at some time in the
season

Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message ...
Marco Schwarz wrote:
:: Hi..
::
[...]

They have slug resistant ones too.

I like to grow old, rare types but you don't get heavy yields.

It really depends what the OP wants to achieve, there are so many different
properties among potatoes..

Mary

Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Next season I'd like to try out the following sorts (seed potatoes are
available here):

# Arran Victory
# King Edward

Any suggestions..?

Other recommendations..?

Thanks in advance..
--

I don't think you're writing from the U.K. so unfortunately you won't be
able to take advantage of Potato Day next February (type Potato Day into

Alan Romans has written a splendid book on seed potatoes, we have the
condensed version which we buy at Potato Day every year. It gives the
characteristics, colour, cooking qualities, bug resistance, and lots of
other qualities, as well as if it's Early, Mid-Early, Maincrop, or Late.

http://www.alanromans.com/p-1530-ala...-potatoes.aspx

We love Arran Victory (1918), it's a Late Maincrop, great for mashing.
To paraphrase Alan Romans, "This is the oldest Arran variety still available
and is rare. High yielding if given a long growing season. Vivid
blue/purple with bright white flesh. High dry matter, very floury and
tasty. Foliage is vigorous, weed suppressing and has blight resistance.
The tuber almost certainly has some blight resistance and stores well."

King Edward (1902), Early Maincrop. Good cooking and eating quality .
It's not as fluffy as Arran Victory, but OK for most things.

You might want to think about a lower dry-matter potato like Charlotte for
making a potato salad. Don't even consider Arran Victory for a potato
salad.

someone

Old 01-12-2007, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Thanks, Robert and Mary..!

Well we're of Old Saxon origin and at home we always had sandy soil
and "mealy" sorts similar to Arran Victory, good for potato puree,
dumplings and fried potatoes but we also had salad potatoes..

Now we're located in Hesse, in the centre of Germany, in an ancient wineyard
area and our property is situated on a hill side. We have a loamy soil
(pure clay!) and a lot of big brown slugs. We're actually interested in
some _excellent_ potatoes for our own and we love old sorts (heirlooms)..

Did I mention we're "Jacket Potato" fans, too..? :-)

They have slug resistant ones too.

Any recommendations..?

I like to grow old, rare types but you don't get heavy yields.

See above mentioned..

--
cu
Marco

Old 02-12-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:31:10 +0100, Marco Schwarz
wrote:

Hi..

Next season I'd like to try out the following sorts (seed potatoes are
available here):

# Arran Victory
# King Edward

Any suggestions..?

Other recommendations..?

Thanks in advance..

Depends on your soil. The onethat does best for me, on clay soil, is
Desiree.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

someone wrote:

I don't think you're writing from the U.K. so unfortunately you won't be
able to take advantage of Potato Day next February (type Potato Day into
Google to see where is closest to you).

Fine. First hit was the 10th Hampshire Potato
Day in January 2008..

Unless of course you take a day trip. At the Potato Day near where
I live there are about 140 varieties for sale, at about 12p a tuber,
so you can buy as much or as little as you like. We usually buy 12
varieties and see how they come out.

I guess I will be limited to the potato seed offered here..

Alan Romans has written a splendid book on seed potatoes,

Found its ISBN-10 and -13 on internet and will try to get it..

Arran Victory (1918),
King Edward (1902),

Thanks for the quotes..

You might want to think about a lower dry-matter potato like Charlotte for
making a potato salad. Don't even consider Arran Victory for a potato
salad.

There's a French salad sort called "Charlotte" available here..!

--
cu
Marco
Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Pam Moore wrote:

The onethat does best for me, on clay soil, is
Desiree.

Desiree: Seed potatoes are available here - thanks..! :-)
--
cu
Marco
Old 02-12-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

King Edwards are wonderful but the slugs think so too. I would definitely
use nemaslug if I were to grow those to reduce/stop any damage.

Thanks for the warning..!

My favourite for an early is Pentland Javelin and I am moving to
the T and M blight resistant ones on the whole as we always get
blight here at some time in the season

Thanks but not available here..

--
cu
Marco

Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi..

Next season I'd like to try out the following sorts (seed potatoes are
available here):

# Arran Victory
# King Edward

Any suggestions..?

Other recommendations..?

Thanks in advance..

Depends on your soil. The onethat does best for me, on clay soil, is
Desiree.

Interestingly I heard on the radio this morning that Desiree is
reckoned good for drought resistance.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marco Schwarz" wrote
Next season I'd like to try out the following sorts (seed potatoes are
available here):

# Arran Victory
# King Edward

Any suggestions..?

Other recommendations..?

Depends on your soil type and the age old Ground Slug problem.
For example...
King Edwards do not seem to like clay soil so we only ever got small tubers
(with holes in!).

Aran Victory is rather uncommon so may be difficult to find and it needs a
long season ( so not good if slugs are a problem for you)

If you have a problem with slugs eating your potatoes then there are a
number of Slug resistant varieties some of which we have tried and can
recommend (marked with **) for clay soil...

Kestral** - second early (good keeper for a SE)
Lady Rosetta - se
Maritiema - se
Romano** (red skinned)- early maincrop
Hermes - maincrop
Midas- mc
Pentland Dell - mc
Spey **(child of Kestral, very similar)- maincrop

Not slug resistant but makes wonderfully tasty chips... Majestic .. like
they used to taste.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Bob Hobden wrote:

Depends on your soil type and the age old Ground Slug problem.
For example...
King Edwards do not seem to like clay soil so we only ever got small
tubers (with holes in!).

Good to know, thanks..

Aran Victory is rather uncommon so may be difficult to find and it needs a
long season ( so not good if slugs are a problem for you)

I see..

If you have a problem with slugs eating your potatoes then there are a
number of Slug resistant varieties some of which we have tried and can
recommend (marked with **) for clay soil...

Kestral** - second early (good keeper for a SE)
Lady Rosetta - se
Maritiema - se
Romano** (red skinned)- early maincrop
Hermes - maincrop
Midas- mc
Pentland Dell - mc
Spey **(child of Kestral, very similar)- maincrop

Thanks, will do some Google searches..

Not slug resistant but makes wonderfully tasty chips... Majestic .. like
they used to taste.

:-))
--
cu