Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Septic Tank: how often to clean?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Most people I know with modern ones have a yearly contract.

I think there might be quite a lot in that last sentence, Charlie.
I'm a
bit concerned that the OP is hearing about people who haven't
touched a tank
in 15 years

If it's working and not causing any problems why should it be
interfered with?

Those who have such working installations are confident that they
don't need interference for any reason.

Mary

Incorrect attribution Mary.

?

I didn't attribute to anyone :-)

THIS is an attribution:
" "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in message"

You were responding to something that Sacha wrote, not something that I
wrote. You snipped what I wrote but left my name in.

Oh NO!!!

I'm most frightfully sorry - on my knees :-(

Thank you for your sincere apology. It's nice to know that there are still
some people around who can maintain a high standard of personal
responsibility.

That can never have occurred before ... it must have brought you into
terrible disrepute ...

I'm glad that you can see the possible implictions of such a misattribution.
Thankfully on this occasion, I wasn't left having to defend myself from
being accused of posting an idiocy.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:19:40 GMT, brian mitchell wrote:

Rainwater is a no, no. The volumes of even a small shower on a decent
sized roof will flush a septic tank through far to quickly...

What is the ill effect of that?

Well apart from the fact the muck doesn't stay in the tank long enough to
acted on by the bacteria effectievly the sludge gets washed into the
soakaway blocking it up...

Thanks, also to Charlie Pridham.
My system (also on a Welsh 'mountain') had nearly all the roof runoff
plus grey- and blackwater running through it when I arrived. I'm
gradually diverting the rainwater but expect to leave the greywater as
is, though there's no biological soaps or other heavy-duty cleansers
used.

I have to say, though, that the system --which is easy to inspect--
seems to look and function exactly the same as it always has, without
needing emptying and with a clear soakaway chamber. Perhaps being on
extremely well-draining land makes the difference.

One last point, during the summer of 76 (which was dry for those too
young to know) we like a lot of people saved water by reducing usage, and
diverted all our grey water for garden use - result - one septic tank
that stopped working! they apparently need some throughput to be happy,
so I would leave the grey water going through, but rain water could
overwelm the system.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Registered User

it is very important to clean septic tanks once in every 3-4 years and you may have to use very good septic tank cleaners to do the job for you

please read the following site for more information

www.septic-waste-treatment.com[
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered User

its very important to clean once in every 3-4 years
check out for more information
www.septic-waste-treatment.com
Old 23-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
On 3/12/07 17:44, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Malcolm"
wrote in message

I've lived with septic tanks (if you get my meaning!) for the last 35
years. At our last house, we had it emptied about every three years, which
seemed to be adequate until the day it started overflowing following a
torrential downpour, which just happened to coincide with higher than
normal use of baths, etc. The clear-up was not pleasant and involved some
expensive alterations. I've gone for annual emptying ever since, which has
been well worth the cost, in my view. I now have a standing order with the
local council and don't even have to remember to ask for it to be emptied.

A daughter lives on a Welsh mountain with a septic tank, they've been there
for at least twelve years and have never had the tank emptied. I thought the
system developed bacteria which dealt with solids and they drained away
harmlessly.

Hers is an organic farm and she is scrupulous about not allowing anything
which would be hostile to the bacteria down the drain. She uses special
dishwasher tablets, laundry and other preparations. There are two adults and
a small child so baths are frequent and laundry is too - she only uses
washable nappies.

No, no no and no. If the previous owners of the OP's house have had their
tank emptied every year and paid for it, it's for a reason. Maybe they
don't live on top of a mountain with excellent drainage, no input from the
water table etc. If by 'special' products you mean Ecover, we use those
here, too. We have two septic tanks and soakaways and on the whole, try to
leave them to get on with it which mostly they do. But not all are the same
and sometimes ours have to be emptied, too.

When we go we live in our tiny caravan and have to use similar
bacteria-friendly products if we empty into the tank - which we do. When I
use conventional washing up liquid for dishes the waste is poured into a
ditch.

I daren't do anything else!

Mary

The OP is talking about a permanent residence though, not a holiday.
I repeat, the previous owners did what they did for a reason. If he wants
to save £10 a month and risk an overflow of sewage he could try leaving it
for two years, for example, and see what happens after heavy rainfall or a
couple of summer's worth of guests etc. Again, not everyone lives on top of
well draining land with few neighbours. I'm sorry, Mary, but clearly not
emptying his septic tank for 12 years would be disastrous for this poster if
the previous owners have found it necessary to do it every year.

--
Sacha
Buy plants online, including rare and exotic plant varieties from Hill House Nursery

In my experience it is much better to spend the money having an annual empty than risking the consequences. Some good resources for septic tanks and emptying can be found at SEPTIC TANK MAINTENANCE and septic tank emptying help.

Old 25-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Bentley View Post
Forgive me asking this "odious" question in this group, but I know that
a lot of keen gardeners live on isolated properties which are not
connected to the usual sewage system.

We have a reasonably-sized septic tank embedded in the front garden and
we understand that the previous owner had it cleaned every year, at a
cost of about £120. There has been a suggestion that this annual
cleaning is a bit excessive. On the other hand, I have read that if the
solids mount up and leave the tank and move into the soakaway area then
the soakaway area becomes clogged and you then have to build a new
septic tank at another (clean) spot - which is a real bother and a
considerable expense. So, clearly, regular cleaning is worthwhile.

But how often is regular for a two-person household?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddy.
Probably just have it pumped by a an expert then ask when should be the next one to gauge how often you need to pump out your septic tank.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Bentley View Post
There has been a suggestion that this annual
cleaning is a bit excessive. On the other hand, I have read that if the
solids mount up and leave the tank and move into the soakaway area then
the soakaway area becomes clogged and you then have to build a new
septic tank at another (clean) spot - which is a real bother and a
considerable expense.
We are a four-person household and have ours emptied yearly. We are just following what the previous owners did....

Laura