Old 03-01-2008, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberrries

Hello all,

We have a new allotment, and it has a patch of very neglected raspberry
canes. I am used to a variety of rasp which fruits on last years wood
which then dies and is pruned out completely, but the the canes in the
new allotment are different. They are huge in comparison, 8 to 10 foot
high, and they have obviously fruited on the last years growth, but only
on the top foot or so, there is also lots of dead wood from earlier
years. Can you tell me from this description what variety they might
be, and should I prune the last years growth (on the assumption that
this is a variety which fruits on the current years growth)?

Thanks for any help,

All the best,

Chris Potts
Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Chris
There are two types of raspberries - Summer fruiting which fruit on
last years canes and autumn raspberries that fruit on this years
canes.
Anne suggests cutting the lot down - which has some merit in that you
clear the groound, remove any infected material and can clearly see
what is there - but you might not get a crop of berries if they are
the summer fruiting kind.
An alternative, if you can't stand the thought of being without fruit
is to prune out all wood that shows signs of having fruited, you
should see the flower stalks still in the canes. Those will fruit
next year - even if they are autumn fruited ones. Leaving non
fruiting primocanes (autumn fruiting raspberry canes) will yeild a
summer crop.
So how will you know what kind you have. Well if you leave the non
fruiting canes and they fruit in the summer - it could be either,
however if the new canes that grow this year fruit, then you have
autumn raspberries.
Raspberries have a life of 12-15 years before becoming tired. 10 new
canes can cost around the £10-12 mark out of the catalogues. So the
choice is yours....
Good luck

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Chris J Potts contains
these words:

Hello all,

We have a new allotment, and it has a patch of very neglected raspberry
canes. I am used to a variety of rasp which fruits on last years wood
which then dies and is pruned out completely, but the the canes in the
new allotment are different. They are huge in comparison, 8 to 10 foot
high, and they have obviously fruited on the last years growth, but only
on the top foot or so, there is also lots of dead wood from earlier
years. Can you tell me from this description what variety they might
be, and should I prune the last years growth (on the assumption that
this is a variety which fruits on the current years growth)?

Thanks for any help,

Most raspberries will fruit on old growth, but you'll only get tiny fruit.

I'd slash the whole lot down and give the new growth a chance...

--
AnneJ

would u charge £15 per hour for that?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all the advice on rasps. I think I will prune out the old
wood and leave the strong last years growth and see what happens. It
seems a pity to clear the lot, and, if they aren't autumn fruiters, lose
a years crop.

We shall see.

Thanks again,

Chris Potts
Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Jan, 13:32, Chris J Potts wrote:
Thanks for all the advice on rasps. *I think I will prune out the old
wood and leave the strong last years growth and see what happens. *It
seems a pity to clear the lot, and, if they aren't autumn fruiters, lose
a years crop.

We shall see.

Thanks again,

Chris Potts

Chris
Do as you have said and you will get a crop this year - so you will
not loose out.
Clifford

Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:53:39 +0000, Chris J Potts
wrote:

Hello all,

We have a new allotment, and it has a patch of very neglected raspberry
canes. I am used to a variety of rasp which fruits on last years wood
which then dies and is pruned out completely, but the the canes in the
new allotment are different. They are huge in comparison, 8 to 10 foot
high, and they have obviously fruited on the last years growth, but only
on the top foot or so, there is also lots of dead wood from earlier
years. Can you tell me from this description what variety they might
be, and should I prune the last years growth (on the assumption that
this is a variety which fruits on the current years growth)?

I have a lot of raspberry canes on my allotment, and although some
were planted as Summer-fruiting and some as Auntumn-fruiting, I now
cut them all down in the winter and get a good succession of fruits.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-01-2008, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jan, 16:50, Pam Moore wrote:
I have a lot of raspberry canes on my allotment, and although some
were planted as Summer-fruiting and some as Auntumn-fruiting, I now
cut them all down in the winter and get a good succession of fruits.

My friend does this and she says it hasn't made any difference, she
still gets a good yield every year.

I am searching desperately for the rubus caesius, the dewberry. It is
listed but I can't find suppliers. Also I'm looking for a crabapple,
malus pumila Red Glow. Listed is the 'pink glow' but not red glow. Any
idea?

Old 14-01-2008, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Jan, 14:52, wrote:
On 12 Jan, 16:50, Pam Moore wrote:

I have a lot of raspberry canes on my allotment, and although some
were planted as Summer-fruiting and some as Auntumn-fruiting, I now
cut them all down in the winter and get a good succession of fruits.

My friend does this and she says it hasn't made any difference, she
still gets a good yield every year.

I am searching desperately for the rubus caesius, the dewberry. It is
listed but I can't find suppliers. Also I'm looking for a crabapple,
malus pumila Red Glow. Listed is the 'pink glow' but not red glow. Any
idea?

Pink glow not in the national collection at Brogdale, so can't
propogate it for you. Keepers do it - to order.
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/dolgo_variety.aspx

As for the Rasps, If the fruit in the same season the likelyhood is
that the autumn fruited ones have taken over, because if you cut a
summer fruiting raps down it will only fruit the following year.
Commercial plantings for a crop of summer fruiting rasps, the plants
are sold as long canes, not cut down, inorder to get a crop the same
year. They also irrigate heavily inorder to encourage new growth.
Regards
Old 14-01-2008, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 14, 6:11*pm, cliff_the_gardener
wrote:

Pink glow not in the national collection at Brogdale, so can't
propogate it for you. *Keepers do it - to order.http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/dolgo_variety.aspx

Thank you very much Cliff but it's the malus pumila that I'm after not
the dolgo. I'm no expert and perhaps I'm making an obvious mistake. Am
I?

Old 15-01-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You got me thinking on that on! I do not know.
Pink Glow is a synonym for Dolgo (according to Mr Habibi @ Keepers).
As for it being a M. pumilla, I note that online RHS plant finder its
listing for it don't go down to the species, just cultivar. (
http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSPLANTFINDER....asp?ID=169623 )

How is that for a non answer!

Old 15-01-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Jan, 18:22, cliff_the_gardener
wrote:
You got me thinking on that on! I do not know.
Pink Glow is a synonym for Dolgo (according to Mr Habibi @ Keepers).
As for it being a M. pumilla, I note that online RHS plant finder its
listing for it don't go down to the species, just cultivar. (http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSPLANTFINDER....asp?ID=169623)
How is that for a non answer!

Well Cliff thank you and sorry for the headache! The funny thing about
this malus pumila Red Glow and what attracted me to this little tree
is that, according to Robert A de J Hart, this crabapple's leaves are
red in summer and turn green in the autumn! But thank you again and if
I find it I will let you know!
Old 16-01-2008, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah red leaves, the crab that I am familiar with that has a similar
habit is Laura. It has a darker pink flower and purple leaves turning
green, with red fruit. Would have said it is more widely available
given that one of the major fruit tree wholesalers list it. I do not
grow it myself but have seen it on the Northern Fruit Group's stand at
the Harrogate Spring Show and it certainly contrasted from standard
blossoms. Picture located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8272033@N08/2197636889/
Laura is on top row, LHS.

Regards
Clifford
Old 16-01-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Jan, 22:11, cliff_the_gardener
wrote:
Ah red leaves, the crab that I am familiar with that has a similar
habit is Laura. *It has a darker pink flower and purple leaves turning
green, with red fruit. *Would have said it is more widely available
given that one of the major fruit tree wholesalers list it. *I do not
grow it myself but have seen it on the Northern Fruit Group's stand at
the Harrogate Spring Show and it certainly contrasted from standard
blossoms. *Picture located athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/8272033@N08/2197636889/
Laura is on top row, LHS.

Wonderful. I'm giving myself another 2/3 weeks and if I cannot find
the pumila Red Glow I'll go with the Laura. It will compliment my
little woodland garden and that will be that! Thanks a lot Clifford.
Old 24-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_gardener View Post
[...]

Last winter I planted 6 early, 6 mid and 6 late fruiting raspberries in a single row. I thought I had taken a note of the sequence, but am now confused. I thought I might get some clues as to which were which when they fruited but didn't. In the autumn I pruned out all canes that had fruited. I understand I should now be pruning the autumn variety down to the ground. How can I tell which is the Autumn variety?