Old 22-01-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default raspberry stalks - how to bush?

Hi,

This new house we're in has some raspberries that last summer were
seeming to grow rather well on the edge of our septic tank soakaway
area. The fruit were big and delicious. However, each plant consisted
of just one stalk, about 1.5m high, and, of course, dangling about and
falling all over the place, particularly in the winds.

Is there a way to force raspherries to bush and, if so, when and how
should I do this?

Thanks.

Eddy.

Old 22-01-2008, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
Hi,

This new house we're in has some raspberries that last summer were
seeming to grow rather well on the edge of our septic tank soakaway
area. The fruit were big and delicious. However, each plant consisted
of just one stalk, about 1.5m high, and, of course, dangling about and
falling all over the place, particularly in the winds.

Is there a way to force raspherries to bush and, if so, when and how
should I do this?

Thanks.

Eddy.

It's how they grow, on one cane each. They need to be tied, we have a stake
at each end of the line with several wires between them. The new canes are
tied to the wires when the old ones are cut down in autumn.

Don't let them get too tall either, ours are not more than 4'6" but other
growers might have other sizes. in our case it's because we're small and
couldn't reach much higher :-)

Mary

Old 22-01-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! Right! (My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) I
shall get some stakes ready.

Thanks, Mary.

Eddy.

Old 22-01-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! Right! (My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) I
shall get some stakes ready.

Thanks, Mary.

Eddy.

You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll send out lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot

Old 22-01-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Robert
(Plymouth)" writes

"Eddy" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! Right! (My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) I
shall get some stakes ready.

Thanks, Mary.

Eddy.

You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll send out lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot

s/gradually/rapidly/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 22-01-2008, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Eddy wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! Right! (My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) I
shall get some stakes ready.

Unless they fruited in September (Autumn Fruiting) when no staking is
really needed. Just cut down all the old canes now and a new lot will
soon appear.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 23-01-2008, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll
send out lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Any suggestions how to get them to march 'along' (in line with
the stakes and wires) rather than 'across' (filling in the
spaces between rows)?

Old 23-01-2008, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Old OakTree" wrote in message
You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll send out
lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Any suggestions how to get them to march 'along' (in line with the stakes
and wires) rather than 'across' (filling in the spaces between rows)?

The only way is to dig the rogue ones up as far as I know

Old 23-01-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message

"The Old OakTree" wrote in message
You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll send out
lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Any suggestions how to get them to march 'along' (in line with the stakes
and wires) rather than 'across' (filling in the spaces between rows)?

The only way is to dig the rogue ones up as far as I know

Same here.

But it's not guaranteed that you'll get every little bit.

One of my rows marched right along the garden until I realised what was
happening. The other came from next door - and it's now been tamed (sort of)
to be at 90 degrees from the original.

Whatever that was :-)

Mary

Old 23-01-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

To get the raspberries to march down the row, one trick is to line the
sides with visqueen - heavy duty plastic - just the sides not the
base. It only needs to go down 12 - 18 inches as the rasps are not
need rooted.
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry Doncaster South Yorkshire

Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Luton wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! Right! (My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) I
shall get some stakes ready.

Unless they fruited in September (Autumn Fruiting) when no staking is
really needed. Just cut down all the old canes now and a new lot will
soon appear.

I've grown autumn fruiting rasps for over 15 years, and upto last year I'd
have agreed with you. However last year my autumns grew very tall (maybe
the excellent april/may) and during the june/july heavy rain fell about
all over the place - some support was needed.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Paul Luton wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! Right! (My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) I
shall get some stakes ready.

Unless they fruited in September (Autumn Fruiting) when no staking is
really needed. Just cut down all the old canes now and a new lot will
soon appear.

I've grown autumn fruiting rasps for over 15 years, and upto last year I'd
have agreed with you. However last year my autumns grew very tall (maybe
the excellent april/may) and during the june/july heavy rain fell about
all over the place - some support was needed.

I planted one last spring and it hardly grew at all - certainly didn't
fruit.

If it doesn't do better this year I'll be complaining :-(

Mary

Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message

... autumn fruiting rasps ...

I planted one last spring and it hardly grew at all - certainly didn't
fruit.

If it doesn't do better this year I'll be complaining :-(

Mine took two seasons. I planted a load in spring 2006, and got two
crops in 2007. I'm planting 18 more canes this year and don't expect any
fruit from them till next year.

So they did well at Tod, that's encouraging.

Mary