Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default raspberry stalks - how to bush?

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message

Mine took two seasons. I planted a load in spring 2006, and got two
crops in 2007. I'm planting 18 more canes this year and don't expect
any
fruit from them till next year.

So they did well at Tod, that's encouraging.

They did remarkably well. Unlike the gooseberry bush (dead) and the
currants (feeble).

Our (new) red, black and white currants were extremely feeble last year. We
want to move them and the gooseberry and build a proper fruit cage for them
this year but it's always either too cold (frozen ground) or too wet (sodden
ground). Usually the latter.

The gales blew all the empty bags and plant pots all round the garden,
luckily they didn't get out but I'm fed up :-(

Sun shining today, it might improve ...

Mary

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 08-02-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

I planted one last spring and it hardly grew at all - certainly didn't
fruit.

If it doesn't do better this year I'll be complaining :-(

Mine took two seasons. I planted a load in spring 2006, and got two
crops in 2007. I'm planting 18 more canes this year and don't expect any
fruit from them till next year.
Linz
Wet Yorks

Nah can't be yorks - a true yorkshire person would do as mary did - plant
1 and wait for it to take over :-) I planted 1 Autumn bliss and 1 Fall
Gold 15 years ago, and have a very large bed, and have to pull up the
invaders from the neighbouring veg beds
Old 08-02-2008, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

I planted one last spring and it hardly grew at all - certainly didn't
fruit.

If it doesn't do better this year I'll be complaining :-(

Mine took two seasons. I planted a load in spring 2006, and got two
crops in 2007. I'm planting 18 more canes this year and don't expect any
fruit from them till next year.
Linz
Wet Yorks

Nah can't be yorks

Only just ...

:-)

Mary

Old 11-02-2008, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message

I'm in Wet Yorks, but I'm not from Wet Yorks! I did think about just
letting the canes take over but I want the fruit faster than that!
--
Linz
Wet Yorks via Cambridge, York, London and Watford

As long as you ended up in the right place we'll forgive your early career
:-)

Not wet today though, is it! Very foggy this morning but now as clear as
clear, sunny and quite warm.

Spouse is digging holes so that he can move the soft fruit trees. Then he'll
have to build a proper cage. I'm a short term hedonist too and don't want
the hens to get at the berries before I do!

Mary

Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 22, 5:17*pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:
"Eddy" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! *Right! *(My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) *I
shall get some stakes ready.

Thanks, Mary.

Eddy.

You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll send out lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot

It wouldn't be so bad if it were just "along". You'll soon find them
*all over the place*!!
My love of raspberries means I am prepared to forgive them for the
amount of pulling of stray stems I have to do throughout the year.

Cat(h)
Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Eddy" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:
It's how they grow, on one cane each.

Ah! Right! (My face has gone a little red with embarrassment!) I
shall get some stakes ready.

Thanks, Mary.

Eddy.

You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll send out lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot

It wouldn't be so bad if it were just "along". You'll soon find them
*all over the place*!!
My love of raspberries means I am prepared to forgive them for the
amount of pulling of stray stems I have to do throughout the year.

Cat(h)

Same here but they do disturb my veggies in their small plots so those have
to go. That is, I pull and pull and cut - but of course they still come up.
Too deep rooted to deal with by any other means than digging and I can't do
that when there's a crop.

Mary

Old 22-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old OakTree View Post
You'll find that to compensate for not being a bush, they'll
send out lots
of new stems and gradually march along your plot

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Any suggestions how to get them to march 'along' (in line with
the stakes and wires) rather than 'across' (filling in the
spaces between rows)?
I regularly put a mulch of manure along the line. The new roots seem to look for that instead of spreading. Maybe more luck than judgement but it does seem to work. Good for cropping too, about 1/2 cwt over 25ft row.