Old 26-01-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flagstone cleaning

Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?

I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong detergent, and I
don't possess a power-washer and don't really want to buy one just for this.

Is there anything strong and effective I can brush on and rinse off?

Thanks.

Barb

Old 26-01-2008, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Barb" writes:
| Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?
|
| I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong detergent, and I
| don't possess a power-washer and don't really want to buy one just for this.
|
| Is there anything strong and effective I can brush on and rinse off?

Sharp sand, a stiff broom and elbow grease. Seriously. They work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Near Peterborough UK
Wink

Call me lazy, but i use a jet washer, cost £100 but have used it for the past 2 years, to be honest, it does take time but really gets it clean and is good for the car too!

Mrcass

__________________
www.topgardencentres.co.uk
Garden Centres and Related Businesses
Old 26-01-2008, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Barb wrote:
Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?

I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong
detergent, and I don't possess a power-washer and don't really want
to buy one just for this.
Is there anything strong and effective I can brush on and rinse off?

Thanks.

Barb

I use Jif (Cif) scrubbing brush and elbow grease.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-01-2008, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:40:34 +0000, Aries
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:29:17 -0000, Barb wrote:

Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?

I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong detergent, and I
don't possess a power-washer and don't really want to buy one just for this.

Is there anything strong and effective I can brush on and rinse off?

Thanks.

Barb

My father always used Jeyes Fluid but I believe that isn't available any
more? Have you tried bleach Barb ?

Original Jeyes is still available.
I recently bought 5litres on-line.

They also do a specific patio stone or flagstone cleaner.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 26-01-2008, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:16:54 +0000, Sacha
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

Jeyes Fluid is still available but, apart from the horrible smell that
lingers for so long, both that and bleach might kill off any vegetation near
the slabs.

A highly diluted Jeyes fluid watered on your beds will do no harm to
vegetation or animals. However, cats hate the smell and will decide
to do their business elsewhere.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 26-01-2008, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?

I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong detergent, and I
don't possess a power-washer and don't really want to buy one just for this.

You can hire them, or hire a man with one. The quickest and most
efficient, and only uses water.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-01-2008, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?

I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong
detergent, and I don't possess a power-washer and don't really want
to buy one just for this.

You can hire them, or hire a man with one. The quickest and most
efficient, and only uses water.

And electricity.

Yes, very good for cleaning any stone. Mind you, everything else will end
up filthy with the spray bouncing off - including the operator (been there,
done that, got the soaking wet clothes). But great fun on a hot day.

And it is also useful to clean the greenhouse at the end of the season. But
watch out that you use the spray only on glass. It will blast a hole
through plastic, particularly if it is brittle with age.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 26-01-2008, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Jan, 14:29, "Barb" wrote:
Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?
I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong detergent, and I
don't possess a power-washer and don't really want to buy one just for this.
Is there anything strong and effective I can brush on and rinse off?

You got lots of answers there but didn't the stuff you got from the
garden centre, vinegar etc worked?! I supposed you've use a stiff
brush - I do and use hot water too. What do you have on these
flagstones?! I find it very little point doing it now - I usually wait
until beginning of april.

I used to have a fantastic power-washer, a wolf one but it broked. The
kids kept messing with it. Now like you I won't buy one but looking to
borrow one or share buy one with friends. It makes sense since I use
it once a year. And it won't be in my house at the reach of my kids!!
Old 26-01-2008, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:06:32 -0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Yes, very good for cleaning any stone. Mind you, everything else will
end up filthy with the spray bouncing off

Not if you use one of the paving stone cleaning heads rather than a bare
lance. Less likely to rip any grout/cement out from between the flags as
well.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 26-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Last winter I left a large unopened bag of compost lying flat on the patio, when I moved it in the spring the slabs underneath were cleaned to the original state, I've been trying to work out why so that I can reproduce the effect over a large area.
Old 26-01-2008, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Jan, 21:27, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:06:32 -0000, Jeff Layman wrote:
Yes, very good for cleaning any stone. *Mind you, everything else will
end up filthy with the spray bouncing off

Not if you use one of the paving stone cleaning heads rather than a bare
lance. Less likely to rip any grout/cement out from between the flags as
well.

Oh... I miss that lance for cleaning my old stone pots. I have a
couple with very intricate sculptures of flowers and leaves. It's
impossible without it, unless I use a toothbrush!!!
Old 27-01-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
MrCass writes:

| Call me lazy, but i use a jet washer, cost £100 but have used it for the
| past 2 years, to be honest, it does take time but really gets it clean
| and is good for the car too!

Well, since you insist :-) "You are lazy."

I never clean cars, except to sell them, and I haven't done that in
decades. Why should one bother with anything except the windows,
lights etc.?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.