Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Allotments

Could all my fellow allotment holders give me some idea how much they are paying for there allotments I have ten rod plot and my rent for 2007/2008
was £60. 72 pence and a further increase of 25 pence per metre for the year
2008 /2009.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotments

In message , Billit
writes

Could all my fellow allotment holders give me some idea how much they
are paying for there allotments I have ten rod plot and my rent for
2007/2008
was £60. 72 pence and a further increase of 25 pence per metre for the
year
2008 /2009.

136.62 square metres (5.4 rods) for £16.39 here in Bletchley (just
changed administration so I'm not certain if this is for the year or 9
months as I can't remember what I paid last year), we also get mains
water on site and regular deliveries of manure for this.

Will
--
e-mail news dot will at lancre dot net
'98 300Tdi Defender 110 CSW, 1/12th NB Sometimes
Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Billit wrote:
Could all my fellow allotment holders give me some idea how much they
are paying for there allotments I have ten rod plot and my rent for
2007/2008
was £60. 72 pence and a further increase of 25 pence per metre for the
year
2008 /2009.

10 rod plot (1/16 acre) in Worcester, £32 this year, £31 last year

http://www.worcester.gov.uk/index.php?id=1263

Tom

Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Billit" wrote
Could all my fellow allotment holders give me some idea how much they
are paying for there allotments I have ten rod plot and my rent for
2007/2008
was £60. 72 pence and a further increase of 25 pence per metre for the
year
2008 /2009.

In Runnymede BC area for the full 10 Rods..
Full cost.... £84. paid by DD it reduces to £79
Over 60.... £42. paid by DD it reduces to £39.50

Mains water is laid on but hosepipes are banned permanently. No other
concessions.

I seem to remember Wandsworth in London was the most expensive, it was £100.
some years ago.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We are stunned here in Swinton (Manchester) we have been charged a 10 %
increase for no additional services -now
£ 38.50.

Jimbo ;o(

Incidentally forgive my naivety but how is a 'Rod' measured ?

"Billit" wrote

Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Incidentally forgive my naivety but how is a 'Rod' measured ?
A long tape measure would do the trick. When they say their allotment is so many rods, they actually mean square rods. Allotments are probably the only thing that is still measured in square rods, though by law rents now have to be presented in square metres.

A rod, pole or perch is 5.5 yards or 16'6". This may seem odd, but it fits in with the imperial system of measures which has a factor of 11, ie 1760, the number of yards in a mile, is 160 times 11. There are 4 rods to a chain, 10 chains to a furlong and 8 furlongs to a mile, so 40 rods to the furlong and 320 rods to the mile. Railways are traditionally measured in chains. A chain (22 yards) is also the distance between the wickets on a cricket pitch.

An acre is the area of a plot 4 rods (a chain) wide by a furlong long, or 160 square rods. This comes from the days of ridge and furrow agriculture, where agricultural strips were traditionally 4 rods wide.

10 square rods seems to me to be a huge allotment, much bigger than most individual plots I see in allotment areas. In fact I think it is a bit bigger than my back garden. A nursery, now closed down, in Surrey told me that they were paying about £8,000 a year for their 1 hectare holding. That's 40 times as large as a 10 rod allotment. So if you are only paying £100 for a 10 rod allotment, that's only half the price of a commercial smallholding rent in the home counties. And I bet your allotment has plenty of unused land between the individual plots to provide access, that isn't charged for. Think yourself lucky.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote:

Billit wrote:
Could all my fellow allotment holders give me some idea how much they
are paying for there allotments I have ten rod plot and my rent for
2007/2008
was £60. 72 pence and a further increase of 25 pence per metre for the
year
2008 /2009.

10 rod plot (1/16 acre) in Worcester, £32 this year, £31 last year

http://www.worcester.gov.uk/index.php?id=1263

Mine's a half-plot (300sq yds) and last year I paid £8 in rent, and a
one-off payment of £6 in shares in the association.

Mind you, it's a private allotment association rather than council run,
which may make a difference.
--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:44:09 +0000, Billit
wrote:

Could all my fellow allotment holders give me some idea how much they
are paying for there allotments I have ten rod plot and my rent for
2007/2008
was £60. 72 pence and a further increase of 25 pence per metre for the
year
2008 /2009.

Oldham pay £31.32 or £15.66 for consessions
but they are looking at upping it and rumours of £200 are floating
about.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jimbo" wrote
We are stunned here in Swinton (Manchester) we have been charged a 10 %
increase for no additional services -now
£ 38.50.

Jimbo ;o(

Incidentally forgive my naivety but how is a 'Rod' measured ?

That's so cheap.

A Rod is actually a linear measurement of 5.5 yards. They really mean Square
Rods when they talk about allotment measurement but in my experience most
Council folk don't understand it all.
So a Sq Rod is 5.5 yards by 5.5 yards or 30.25 sq yards. 10 rods is
therefore 302.5 sq yards.

Ours now talks in Metric Lettings(??) which is 5 metres by 5 metres. (so 250
sq metres)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/2/08 17:54, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:45:36 -0000, Charlie Pridham

wrote:

In article ,

says...
We are stunned here in Swinton (Manchester) we have been charged a 10 %
increase for no additional services -now
£ 38.50.

Jimbo ;o(

Incidentally forgive my naivety but how is a 'Rod' measured ?

Used to be quite literally with a measuring rod, it is equivalent to 16.5
feet, and sometimes refered to a pole, you will find large old buildings
like cathederals are often laid out in multiples of rods, for longer
lengths a chain was used

100 links = 1 chain
10 chains = 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 mile
4 inches = 1 hand
22 yards = 1 chain
5.5 yards = 1 rod, pole or perch
4 poles = 1 chain
40 poles = 1 furlong

Area was measured in roods amongst other thing

1 furlong x 1 pole = 1 rood
40 (sq) poles = 1 rood
1210 square yards = 1 rood
1 furlong x 1 chain = 1 acre
4 roods = 1 acre
160 (sq) poles = 1 acre
4840 square yards = 1 acre
640 acres = 1 square mile

Thank Gawd for the metric system.

But it's so bland, so boring. Thank God for Ye Olde English, if only
because it IS ours! I'm really intrigued that in house sale advertisements,
land is still measured in hectares in some cases.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/2/08 22:18, in article ,
"Zhang DaWei" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:54:52 +0100, Martin wrote:

Area was measured in roods amongst other thing

1 furlong x 1 pole = 1 rood
40 (sq) poles = 1 rood
1210 square yards = 1 rood
1 furlong x 1 chain = 1 acre
4 roods = 1 acre
160 (sq) poles = 1 acre
4840 square yards = 1 acre
640 acres = 1 square mile

Thank Gawd for the metric system.

A concert pianist was invited to the Embassy of Poland to give a
recital. Instead of playing the music of Chopin, Beethovem Greig,
Liszt, and others all evening, he decided to "jazz it up" a bit and
began to regale with them Scott Joplin, Gershwin, and so on. The
guests were outraged at this and threw him bodily out into the night
and onto the pavement. Angered, the pianist got to his feet and
started swearing long, loudly, and fouly at the embassy, which greatly
offended a pair of old ladies passing by. He realised his mistake, and
turning to them gently explained. "I'm very sorry, but you must
realise that forty square poles do make one rood."

I'm get my coat...

I do like that - definitely a cut above some of the punny stuff!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:45:36 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,

says...
[...]

Doesn't work at sea though! chains, cables, fathams and nautical miles
all work exactly with the size of the earth, meters don't work at all and
french ships have a much harder job of trying to navigate in metres which
all has to be corrected and adjusted to fit :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ((huge snip))

Thank Gawd for the metric system.

Until you try to divide it by three!

--