Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spring already?

Sacha wrote:
And the Oemleria cerasiformis that Ray put in the garden last
year has come into flower and promises to be very beautiful,
especially as it gets larger.

I wonder why this plant isn't seen more often. It's a delightful shrub or
small tree, with nicely scented flowers. And it flowers when not much else
is in flower (well, maybe not this year!).

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 23-02-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The cherry plums have been flowering for a while now. Crocuses are
beginning to show in the front wall. Daffs are just about out. Mum's
bees are out whenever it warms up a bit.

AND there's definatly something stirring in the pond!

JW

Dave Hill wrote:

About a mile away from us is a roundabout over the M4 and on the
aproach road there is a Hawthorn that is always the first into leaf,
and is my indicator of springs timing,
Last year it came into leaf mid to late Feb.
Well I went passed it today for the first time since we came back
from our Holls and it is well into leaf and quite green, must have
started about 2 weeks ago.
That makes it about 3 weeks earlier than last year, and that was
earlier than normal.
I must check for frogs spawn.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries