Old 08-02-2008, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Spring already?

About a mile away from us is a roundabout over the M4 and on the
aproach road there is a Hawthorn that is always the first into leaf,
and is my indicator of springs timing,
Last year it came into leaf mid to late Feb.
Well I went passed it today for the first time since we came back
from our Holls and it is well into leaf and quite green, must have
started about 2 weeks ago.
That makes it about 3 weeks earlier than last year, and that was
earlier than normal.
I must check for frogs spawn.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I've watched hawthorn leaves start to expand around here over the past
few days and the hazels are ever further forward. Everywhere, Prunus
cerasifera 'Purpurea' is in full flower creating great clouds of pale
lilac pink and the Magnolias are pushing their protective bracts off
as their flower buds swell. I'll not tempt providence by claiming
spring has arrived here, but it does seem that both native and exotic
plants are convinced. 3 weeks ago, blackbirds were sparring on the
marshes close to work and just yesterday a pair of goldcrests were
being ever-so-slightly amorous irrespective of my presence barely 4
yards away.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Registered User

I have a tree peony in my front garden (Surrey) that started flowering 2 weeks ago. It's now in full bloom! By my reckoning this is almost 3 months early!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/2/08 18:35, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

I've watched hawthorn leaves start to expand around here over the past
few days and the hazels are ever further forward. Everywhere, Prunus
cerasifera 'Purpurea' is in full flower creating great clouds of pale
lilac pink and the Magnolias are pushing their protective bracts off
as their flower buds swell. I'll not tempt providence by claiming
spring has arrived here, but it does seem that both native and exotic
plants are convinced. 3 weeks ago, blackbirds were sparring on the
marshes close to work and just yesterday a pair of goldcrests were
being ever-so-slightly amorous irrespective of my presence barely 4
yards away.

Yes, the birds round here are definitely getting a glint in their eye! The
rooks have been making a lot of noise and have been squabbling in their
pre-nesting fashion but we think that might be because the poor things are 3
trees short this year and are making earlier claims to space than usual.
There's a bank of hawthorn on the way up to Holne which is always the first
to come out near here. We'll have to try a drive up there tomorrow. But
today we have thick fog and I can barely see beyond the hedge at the end of
the nursery path.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-02-2008, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Feb, 11:37, Sacha wrote:
On 8/2/08 18:35, in article
, "Dave

Poole" wrote:
[...]

Here in our part of South Wales, I've given up, still fighting this
horendous cold I have and dressed accordingly to go shopping I got
home almost passing out with over heating, Just checked and the temp
here in the shade is 56f, a lovely April day
I just wish more days on our holiday had been as warm.
An afternoon of watching rugby for me. I still have loads of bulbs to
plant but what the hell, another day wont hurt them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 9, 1:32*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On 9 Feb, 11:37, Sacha wrote:

On 8/2/08 18:35, in article
, "Dave

Poole" wrote:
[...]

Abacus Nurseries- Hide quoted text -

What sort of bulbs David?

Judith
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
About a mile away from us is a roundabout over the M4 and on the
aproach road there is a Hawthorn that is always the first into leaf,
and is my indicator of springs timing,
Last year it came into leaf mid to late Feb.
Well I went passed it today for the first time since we came back
from our Holls and it is well into leaf and quite green, must have
started about 2 weeks ago.
That makes it about 3 weeks earlier than last year, and that was
earlier than normal.
I must check for frogs spawn.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Several honeybees on the Mahonia flowers this morning. And, oddly enough, a
couple of houseflies.

Quite used to seeing bumblebees around, but never seen honeybees out this
early before (W. Sussex)

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 09-02-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
About a mile away from us is a roundabout over the M4 and on the
aproach road there is a Hawthorn that is always the first into leaf,
and is my indicator of springs timing,
Last year it came into leaf mid to late Feb.
Well I went passed it today for the first time since we came back
from our Holls and it is well into leaf and quite green, must have
started about 2 weeks ago.
That makes it about 3 weeks earlier than last year, and that was
earlier than normal.
I must check for frogs spawn.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Glorious day here in Devon, cloudless blue sky, and now a spectacular
sunset, although we could see a bank of fog which did not appear to lift
from moor all day. Sat on the terrace and enjoyed the birdsong and a
Guinness until some wretch ruined the idyl with a chain saw.

Hawthorn leaves are showing and lots of stuff in bud. The clumps of
native primrose have been in flower for three weeks and a solitary
snowdrop from an Autumn planting has appeared. Miniature daffodils
started flowering last week.

First pair of amorous frogs spotted in the pond on 19 January but no
spawn as yet - last year it first turned up on 13 February
--
Robert

Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

robert writes
In message
,
Dave Hill writes
[...]

Snowdrops out in abundance in Gargrave (Yorks Dales) last weekend, and
not in our garden (which tends to be late). Lawn is full of crocuses,
and we have one daffodil out and a few in bud. Primroses now well out.
Also wood avens, which is a bit early!

--
Kay
Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 9, 6:42*pm, K wrote:
robert writes

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
[...]

Kay- Hide quoted text -

Kay, do you have any pics on the development of yor garden? I saw it
so many years ago, I'm sure it has changed now?

Judith
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kay, do you have any pics on the development of yor garden? I saw it
so many years ago, I'm sure it has changed now?

No pics, sorry. It's basically just grown up a lot. The 'woodland' at
the end is now a very private place for a hammock in the summer. The
apple trees over the pergola are now doing what they were meant to and
forming a complete tunnel - a mass of flowers in the spring, and
dripping with all the different colours and shapes of the fruit in
autumn. The medlar and mulberry are giving good crops each year, and we
have a roofed terrace area by the pond at the back. You'd recognise it
all, but there's a lot more plants in, and it's a lovely shady garden
with lots going on all the year round.

I say shady, but we've just had new neighbours who took the whole of the
next door garden and put in through a shredder. So no apple trees
festooned with clematis, rose or honeysuckle, no large viburnums, no
purple elder. And about 20 houses visible where once we had just
greenery. So I'm growing the hedge an extra couple of feet higher, and
waiting to see just how much extra sun we have, and what this means for
my plants - which ones will start drying out in the summer, and which
will appreciate the extra light.

--
Kay
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Feb, 15:48, Judith in France wrote:
On Feb 9, 1:32*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

On 9 Feb, 11:37, Sacha wrote:

On 8/2/08 18:35, in article
, "Dave

Poole" wrote:
[...]

Judith- Hide quoted text -

A whole range of bulbs Judith, Species daffs and large flowering ones,
some special crocus, with a load I planted in 40's trays before we
went away which I am planting like plugs, Tulips, 4 special varieties
of Muskari and more.
Hope to get them planted or potted in the next few days.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/2/08 17:58, in article , "robert"
wrote:

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
[...]

No fog this morning, Robert? Lucky you! We went to Yealmpton for dinner at
the Rose & Crown tonight (Superb!) and found some drifts of fog on the way
home. It's pretty cold and a very clear night, too.