Old 24-10-2004, 10:12 AM
mcloone

Default leylandii hedge overtrimmed?

Hi,
moved into my house about 1 yr ago. Our neighbours have a high
leylandii hedge. It was around 18 ft high but they've trimmed it to
around 14ft. It was planted about 6 inches from the border fence. They
employed a gardener to trim the side and top. I asked their gardener
to trim the sides back to the boundary which he has done.
Now the bottom 10ft or so is brown and the top 4 ft is dark green. I
did not particularly like the high hedge extending into our garden but
now that its almost all brown and dead looking i like it less.
Will the brown parts turn green in the spring? Frome my searches on
this forum it looks like it will stay brown. If teh hedge will not
turn green is there anything I could plant such as ivy which might
grow over the dead branches to provide some greenery next year?
Thanks for any advice, Mike
Old 24-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Mike

Hi Mike

Not a 'gardening gardener' but I can answer that one. We have two of the
beasts and they are of a different variety.

Number One I trimmed right back to the main trunk, then read on the
newsgroup what you have read, that it will stay brown. Not so in our case,
it has sprouted right back from the main trunk and needs trimming again.

Number two is a big one, (The former only about 10 ft high) running up to
about 20 - 25ft. I topped it about 12 feet and cut one side right back to
the mass of branches within about 6 inches from the main stem. That has
stayed brown with just a few whispers of green sprouting, but in answer to
you question re Ivy, that has started to climb the brown side this year. Not
reached such a height to cover the brown, but we wait and see.

Another Mike

--
..
m...

Old 24-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Pam Moore

On 24 Oct 2004 02:12:44 -0700, (mcloone)
wrote:

Will the brown parts turn green in the spring?

No

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Sacha

On 24/10/04 10:12, in article
, "mcloone"
wrote:

Hi,
moved into my house about 1 yr ago. Our neighbours have a high
leylandii hedge. It was around 18 ft high but they've trimmed it to
around 14ft.

snip

Will the brown parts turn green in the spring? Frome my searches on
this forum it looks like it will stay brown. If teh hedge will not
turn green is there anything I could plant such as ivy which might
grow over the dead branches to provide some greenery next year?
Thanks for any advice, Mike

Once C. leylandii is hard pruned it won't grow back, so I'm afraid you're
left with the unsightly dead growth. Ivy will possibly take over naturally
of its own accord but it can be difficult to grow anything at the foot of
this particular tree.
This hedge is still very high though, from your point of view and I wonder
if it's possible for you to suggest to its owners that they fell it
completely and plant something more friendly, such as beech? If kept below
8' or 9' that retains its leaves, even if they're dead. If finances permit,
perhaps you could suggest sharing the costs of doing this with them, if the
possible outcome seems worth it to you?
I'm surprised their gardener agreed to do this for you, really. He should
really have known before starting of the effect this trim would have.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
mcloone wrote:
Hi,
moved into my house about 1 yr ago. Our neighbours have a high
leylandii hedge. It was around 18 ft high but they've trimmed it to
around 14ft. It was planted about 6 inches from the border fence. They
employed a gardener to trim the side and top. I asked their gardener
to trim the sides back to the boundary which he has done.
Now the bottom 10ft or so is brown and the top 4 ft is dark green. I
did not particularly like the high hedge extending into our garden but
now that its almost all brown and dead looking i like it less.
Will the brown parts turn green in the spring? Frome my searches on
this forum it looks like it will stay brown. If teh hedge will not
turn green is there anything I could plant such as ivy which might
grow over the dead branches to provide some greenery next year?

For next year, you need an annual. Morning glory, runner beans,
or whatever turns you on. For the longer term, ivy would be good,
but it is worth checking with your neighbours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-10-2004, 04:01 PM
ned

"mcloone" wrote in message
[...]

Despite the advice already given, it might regenerate.
For a start, is your side north facing or south facing?
If the latter you stand a better chance.
I would suggest you don't use Ivy.
I have Ivy growing through mine (by nature, not design) and while I
can control what I can get at, it will grow through to your neighbours
side and whether he appreciates it is a question to face.
If you didn't like Leylandii, are you sure you will like Ivy? It can
be just as vigorous a problem.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 15.10.2004

Old 24-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Mike

Despite the advice already given, it might regenerate.
For a start, is your side north facing or south facing?

Our South facing is still brown and has the Ivy steadely climbing :-))

The one regenerating, (regenerated!) is West facing :-))

Old 24-10-2004, 07:48 PM
ned

"Mike" wrote in message

Despite the advice already given, it might regenerate.
For a start, is your side north facing or south facing?

Our South facing is still brown and has the Ivy steadely climbing

:-))

The one regenerating, (regenerated!) is West facing :-))

OK. I think you also said that it was the younger section that was
regenerating - which is what one might expect.
I'd be inclined to have a bit of patience and see how/if the older
section recovers.
It will certainly be slower and might be patchy for a year or two.

But, going back to square one, a 'proper' gardener should have been
more helpful in suggesting what the consequences of his actions might
have been.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 15.10.2004

Old 24-10-2004, 11:53 PM
mcloone

Ok,
the gardener seemed helpful at the start, but the owner of the hedge
expressed similar concerns that the hedge was now thin. The said
gardener charged 150 quid to spray cut branches with "fungicide". He
said this would ensure it turns green again. I now think the gardener
was just trying to make a fast buck.
I have since discussed the hedge with a garden centre owner. She
doubts that there will be regrowth and also said that because the tree
root system will have extended into my garden i will not be able to
grow anything underneath them. I've noticed that our grass did not
take well underneath either. The leylandii suck all the goodness from
the soil apparently. One thing suggested was a "Montana Clematis"
which is quite prolific and may compete with the trees.
I understand I can cut the roots on my side of the fence. If I cut the
roots and place some kind of barrier to prevent the roots crossing
over again and fertilize the soil on my side, should I be able to grow
what I want? What might an effective root barrier be?
If I do cut the roots could this encourage fungus and death in the
trees? Could the trees having a viable root sytem on one side only
cause them to blow over in the wind?
Obviously the trees are a nuisance to me and judging by the amount of
material on the internet, overgrown leylandii cause quite few
neighborhood disputes throughout the country.
Thanks for ant further advice, mike
Old 25-10-2004, 12:58 AM
ned

mcloone wrote:
Ok,
the gardener seemed helpful at the start, but the owner of the hedge
expressed similar concerns that the hedge was now thin. The said
gardener charged 150 quid to spray cut branches with "fungicide". He
said this would ensure it turns green again.

.................. He stopped short of spraying green paint, then?
:-))

I have since discussed the hedge with a garden centre owner. She
doubts that there will be regrowth and also said that because the

tree
root system will have extended into my garden i will not be able to
grow anything underneath them. I've noticed that our grass did not
take well underneath either. The leylandii suck all the goodness

from
the soil apparently.

Now don't you go believing all that the anti-leylandii crowd tell you.
My experience is that grass grows well enough up to and under my
hedge.
Even in the drought conditions of 2003 the only patch of grass to
suffer was where an apple tree had spread its roots from the other
side of the leylandii hedge.
Many things will grow under and through the hedge. I have trouble
keeping my hedge free of intruders.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 15.10.2004

Old 25-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , mcloone
writes
Hi,
moved into my house about 1 yr ago. Our neighbours have a high
leylandii hedge.

You see, if you had come here and mentioned this problem *before* you
had agreed to buy the house . . . . . you would never have bought it!!!
See a leylandii hedge and steer well clear would have been the
overwhelming advice you would have been given ((((((((((((
Unless, of course, it was yours so that you could have cut it down
))))))))))))))))))))))))

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 25-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Sacha

On 24/10/04 11:53 pm, in article
, "mcloone"
wrote:

Ok,
the gardener seemed helpful at the start, but the owner of the hedge
expressed similar concerns that the hedge was now thin. The said
gardener charged 150 quid to spray cut branches with "fungicide". He
said this would ensure it turns green again. I now think the gardener
was just trying to make a fast buck.

I think the gardener is not a gardener! Are you sure there wasn't a faint
cry of "Hiyo Silver" somewhere in the distance? ;-)

I have since discussed the hedge with a garden centre owner. She
doubts that there will be regrowth and also said that because the tree
root system will have extended into my garden i will not be able to
grow anything underneath them. I've noticed that our grass did not
take well underneath either. The leylandii suck all the goodness from
the soil apparently. One thing suggested was a "Montana Clematis"
which is quite prolific and may compete with the trees.

The gc owner is right. With regard to grass, different conditions produce
different results. If you're fairly lucky, grass will grow but usually not
of a very lush kind and almost nothing else will. However, if you *can* get
anything to grow, try planting Rosa kiftsgate and feeding it well. If the
hedge is very long, plant one at each end and one in the middle. That
should sort it out. This is an enormously prolific, vigorous rose that
colonises things like mature walnut trees.

I understand I can cut the roots on my side of the fence. If I cut the
roots and place some kind of barrier to prevent the roots crossing
over again and fertilize the soil on my side, should I be able to grow
what I want? What might an effective root barrier be?
If I do cut the roots could this encourage fungus and death in the
trees? Could the trees having a viable root sytem on one side only
cause them to blow over in the wind?
Obviously the trees are a nuisance to me and judging by the amount of
material on the internet, overgrown leylandii cause quite few
neighborhood disputes throughout the country.
Thanks for ant further advice, mike

I would think cutting the roots would destabilise them but at the same time,
I'm not at all sure where you stand legally on this because it damages
someone else's property. The better course would be to talk to your
neighbour and see if some other form of compromise can be achieved. As I
said before, perhaps a new and different form of hedging or fencing might be
agreeable to all of you. After all, their leylandii are also taking up a
good deal of their garden width and nourishment from their soil.
Alternatively, using a different gardener (!) the hedge owner could strip
the trees of all their branches, leave the trunks, nail wire, swagged rope
or chains or trellis to them and grow climbers up them.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 25-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , ned wrote:
mcloone wrote:
Ok,
the gardener seemed helpful at the start, but the owner of the hedge
expressed similar concerns that the hedge was now thin. The said
gardener charged 150 quid to spray cut branches with "fungicide". He
said this would ensure it turns green again.

................. He stopped short of spraying green paint, then?
:-))

I suspect that it was a weak solution of bullshit.

Now don't you go believing all that the anti-leylandii crowd tell you.
My experience is that grass grows well enough up to and under my
hedge.

It isn't leylandii's roots that are the problem, it's the umbrella
effect. Provided that a reasonable proportion of light and rain
reaches under them, you can grow any of the underplants that can
grow in fallen pine needles. And that is a lot.

If virtually no rain reaches there, then it's Cyclamen coum or
hederifolium and not much else. If the needles are ALWAYS dry,
nothing much will grow.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-10-2004, 08:23 PM
ned

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 25/10/04 12:58 am, in article ,

"ned"
wrote:

snip
My experience is that grass grows well enough up to and under my
hedge.
Even in the drought conditions of 2003 the only patch of grass to
suffer was where an apple tree had spread its roots from the other
side of the leylandii hedge.
Many things will grow under and through the hedge. I have trouble
keeping my hedge free of intruders.

How high is your hedge and how old? IME, nothing grows easily under
leylandii, except perhaps, ivy.

I hope you appreciate this :-)
I've just been out - in the dark - to measure it.
60ft Section A :- 8ft high. Tree spacing 2'6" to 3' apart. Base of
trunks, 7" to 9", probably 18 to 19 years old
60ft Section B :- 8'6" high. Spacing 3 ft. Base of trunks 9" to 12".
Probably 25 to 28 years old.
I've been tending it (lovingly) for the last 11 years.
In order to suppress all the normal hedge bottom weeds (nettle,
woundwort, nipplewort, goosegrass, bindweed, hedge garlic, ground ivy
and ivy, etc.) I am mulching with leylandii clippings and that is only
moderately successful. And grass grows right up to the south facing
hedge line without problem. The north facing side has a Leylandii
clipping mulch path between the hedge and the boundary line (allowing
access for trimming). Because I want to mow up to the hedge I have not
deliberately planted anything but, Honesty grows better there than
anywhere else. We have also had Michaelmas Daisy, Phlox, Strawberries,
Gooseberries, Mysotis, Aubretia, Lobelia, Allysum, Potentilla, Ash and
Elder saplings and Damson runners show up there of their own accord.

Now. Does that sound like the kiss of death to competing vegetation?

Properly managed, Leylandii is just another plant.
There are some magnificently kept Leylandii hedges around.

Allowed to run wild, - sure, its a weed. Like Ivy. Like Russian Vine.
I do not know what all the fuss is about. :-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 15.10.2004