Old 29-03-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deterring Foxes...

I'm fast reaching the point where the pleasure from watching local foxes
playing in mine and my garden in the early morning is being outweighed by
the damage they are doing to my newly emerging plants!

I wondered if anyone here has any experience with and advice on ways to deal
with these roguish pests? There are plenty of gadgets on Ebay, but the
likeliest looking one I've found is elsewhere, called 'Foxwatch'. It's a bit
pricey compared to the others, but claims to be 'the most successful
ultrasonic fox deterrent ever invented', which sounds promising:-) I want
something that scares off foxes but doesn't affect birds in any way. It'd be
nice if it kept cats away too - as the other gadgets claim they can - but
that's not essential. Apart from scaring off foxes, my main concern is not
to disturb the birds...

Any advice would be appreciated...

Regds

Mark

Old 29-03-2008, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mark
Nicholls writes
I'm fast reaching the point where the pleasure from watching local foxes
playing in mine and my garden in the early morning is being outweighed by
the damage they are doing to my newly emerging plants!

That is a shame. I wonder if you are putting food out on the ground for
birds, hedgehogs etc? If so this is likely to encourage the fox visits
to the garden. Something that does encourage foxes to dig in cultivated
areas is the use of blood, fish and bone/bone meal fertiliser.

I wondered if anyone here has any experience with and advice on ways to deal
with these roguish pests? There are plenty of gadgets on Ebay, but the
likeliest looking one I've found is elsewhere, called 'Foxwatch'. It's a bit
pricey compared to the others, but claims to be 'the most successful
ultrasonic fox deterrent ever invented', which sounds promising:-) I want
something that scares off foxes but doesn't affect birds in any way. It'd be
nice if it kept cats away too - as the other gadgets claim they can - but
that's not essential. Apart from scaring off foxes, my main concern is not
to disturb the birds...

I am not aware none of an ultrasonic device that has been proven to work
with foxes - if anyone has used one which has demonstrably worked as a
standalone deterrent I would be interested in hearing about it.

IIRC the Fox Project recommended a couple of chemical deterrents - Scoot
and Get off my garden. Deterrents such as these are most effective if
you can locate where the fox(es) are marking their territory by peeing
on specific objects or patches of ground and applying the deterrent in
the same place. Random application is unlikely to work.

Our local dog fox is a prodigious territory marker and marks the same
items on a regular basis - mainly large plant containers. We have been
lucky with damage that has been clearly down to foxes although they
visit every night and occasionally during the day. The only problem has
been their use of newly planted small shrubs as territory markers but a
rag kept soaked in Renardine on a short stick placed immediately
adjacent to the shrub solved the problem each time (Renardine has now
been withdrawn from sale).

--
Robert
Old 29-03-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mark
Nicholls writes
[...]

I am not aware of an ultrasonic device that has been proven to work with

Old 29-03-2008, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

The only sure, permanent way to keep fox out of your garden is by secure,
high fencing. It works and gives peace of mind. It also keeps two legged
predators out.

We've slept soundly since we put up plastic coated chain link fencing
attached to square section steel uprights with the same steel linking top
and bottom of the uprights, which are embedded in concrete.

It's not as ugly as it sounds, in fact because it lets light in and gives a
lot of scope for climbing plants it's an asset to the garden.

Mary

Old 29-03-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"robert" wrote in message
In message , Mark
Nicholls writes
I'm fast reaching the point where the pleasure from watching local foxes
playing in mine and my garden in the early morning is being outweighed by
the damage they are doing to my newly emerging plants!

That is a shame. I wonder if you are putting food out on the ground for
birds, hedgehogs etc? If so this is likely to encourage the fox visits to
the garden. Something that does encourage foxes to dig in cultivated
areas is the use of blood, fish and bone/bone meal fertiliser.

I only put out bird seed, and have recently used some bonemeal while
planting roses, but their visits seem to be part of a long-established
routine well preceding my cultivation of the garden, which I only acquired
last year as a virgin plot. But now you mention it they seem to have a
liking for B&Q compost - they were always having a go at the bags in the
garden, and often their digging has been around new plants which have
compost around them...But I have to say they mainly seem to play rather than
forage - spending a long time chasing each other around like puppies: I
think the two around now may be the cubs from the family that visited
throughout last summer...would that be likely, I wonder?..

I am not aware none of an ultrasonic device that has been proven to work
with foxes - if anyone has used one which has demonstrably worked as a
standalone deterrent I would be interested in hearing about it.

Well, this Foxwatch gadget is '100% guaranteed to work or your money back',
so I might give it a go and report back...

IIRC the Fox Project recommended a couple of chemical deterrents - Scoot
and Get off my garden.

Yes, they still say that ultrasonic deterrents are 'broadly ineffective',
and recommend either the above products you mention or a water propelled
gadget called 'scarecrow'. I think that has to be connected to a hose-pipe,
so I'm not too into the thought of that trailing up the garden all the
time...I might email Fox Project about Foxwatch, to see if it was one of the
ones they tested...

Deterrents such as these are most effective if
you can locate where the fox(es) are marking their territory by peeing on
specific objects or patches of ground and applying the deterrent in the
same place. Random application is unlikely to work.

I don't feel confident in locating their pee!...but I'll check out the
chemical deterrents; I found something that was a bright blue gel, but was
distinctly unimpressed by the thought of having the stuff spread all over
the garden, or even locally applied - too likely to get trodden in a walked
all over the house!..

Our local dog fox is a prodigious territory marker and marks the same
items on a regular basis - mainly large plant containers. We have been
lucky with damage that has been clearly down to foxes although they visit
every night and occasionally during the day. The only problem has been
their use of newly planted small shrubs as territory markers but a rag
kept soaked in Renardine on a short stick placed immediately adjacent to
the shrub solved the problem each time (Renardine has now been withdrawn
from sale).

I was prepared to let them keep playing until they destroyed two newly
growing peonies, after which their fate was sealed...:-)

Thanks for your info anyway!

Mark

Old 29-03-2008, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

The only sure, permanent way to keep fox out of your garden is by secure,
high fencing. It works and gives peace of mind. It also keeps two legged
predators out.

We've slept soundly since we put up plastic coated chain link fencing
attached to square section steel uprights with the same steel linking top
and bottom of the uprights, which are embedded in concrete.

It's not as ugly as it sounds, in fact because it lets light in and gives
a lot of scope for climbing plants it's an asset to the garden.

How tall is yor fence?...When I moved here last year my first garden task
was to extend the fences all round with trellis - they're now about 8 feet
high - except for one stretch of about 20ft which is waste high chain-link
fence, which is of course where the foxes hop over. This belongs to my
neighbour, along with the stumps of the 3 x 60ft leylandii which I pursuaded
him to chop down last summer. He's promised to replace the fence with a
taller wooden fence and then I will extend that to about 8ft with trellis,
planted with the prickliest climbing roses I can find, which I hope will
keep out both four and two legged interlopers! But I'd hoped in the meantime
to find something to keep the foxes out - I may end up just knocking the
window at them every morning, as I'm up early!...

Many thanks for your suggestion, anyway!

Mark

Old 30-03-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Nicholls" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

The only sure, permanent way to keep fox out of your garden is by secure,
high fencing. It works and gives peace of mind. It also keeps two legged
predators out.

We've slept soundly since we put up plastic coated chain link fencing
attached to square section steel uprights with the same steel linking top
and bottom of the uprights, which are embedded in concrete.

It's not as ugly as it sounds, in fact because it lets light in and gives
a lot of scope for climbing plants it's an asset to the garden.

How tall is yor fence?...

Two metres.

Mary

Old 30-03-2008, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
garden.

How tall is yor fence?...

Two metres.

Thanks for that - when my neighbour gets his act together and replaces the
short section of fence over which they currently jump, my problem should be
solved....

Mark

Old 29-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nicholls View Post
[...]

I've got a foxwatch, had it for 6 months now and no problems! We used to have a regular visitor who used to be rather attracted to the birds on the birdtable, we got a foxwatch, and we have visits no more! I've noticed a couple of foxes in the neighbours garden, beyond the reach of the ultrasonic, so thats enough proof it works for me! I got mine from amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept-Rese...291929&sr=8-10

Old 15-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered User

Location: North & East London

I control foxes for a living in North & East London areas. If anyone needs any assistance, I would be please to offer users of "Gardenbanter" a 10% discount on a trapping cycle. For more information, my website is www.pestgo4u.com.

Being a professional, I am licenced, certified, trained and hold all necessary equipment. I am definately not 'the man down the pub'!

It is illegal to poison foxes are use non-approved methods to control or repel them.

It is also illegal to release trapped foxes under The Abandonment Act 1960, therefore all trapped foxes will be humanely dispatched and taken away for clinical waste disposal.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered User

Hi, there are repellers which deter fox by producing high frequencies which irritate the fox so it leaves the area they can be found on http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/pes...-c-24_197.html. hope it helps
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieR View Post
Hi, there are repellers which deter fox by producing high frequencies which irritate the fox so it leaves the area they can be found on Fox Repellers. hope it helps
hi i live in the thurrock area of essex and foxes are causing havoc in my garden with bags of topsoil and compost etc but even moreso are damaging my childrens play things ie the bumper and safety net on my sons trampoline. they have chewed & destroyed a 10 ft and then the replacement 12 foot by 3 foot easy up swimming pool....... after looking in deterants we tried the foxwatch for the last2 weeks only to get up this morning to find it pulled from its position taken a 100 foot up the garden where the better half found it this mornin and upon retrieving came in complaining of hands stinking of fox wee......... guess thats what they thought of that then aye ??? if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to tell me im tearing my hair out....... as for the fox watch..........draw ya own conclusions !!!!!

regards

richie
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered User

I used to be a caretaker at an infant and primary school.

We had plenty foxes which I had to deterr for obvious dangers of safety and hygiene to the youngsters. Here are some of my methods.

1. Make sure you block up all runs. Use wire concrete especially go below soil level so they can't dig threw. Check and check again. The harder you make their journey they will go elsewhere.
2. Use brambles. Foxes hate brambles and thorn bushes. Use these to block up all holes in fences. Grow them close to a fence. Also use chicken wire. Wire this to the top of fencing so it is proud.
3. In a home garden I make sure all fences are well covered with shrubs and climbing plants e.g honeysuckle, climbing roses. The foxes are then unsure of their route over a fence. Make fences are high. Add chicken wire extension.
4. Remove all items close to a fence e.g. water butts that will give them a leg up.
5. Use human urine in a garden.

Hope this is useful
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered User

I used to be a caretaker at an infant and primary school.

We had plenty foxes which I had to deterr for obvious dangers of safety and hygiene for the youngsters. Here are some of my methods.

1. Make sure you block up all runs. Use wire concrete especially go below soil level so they can't dig through. Check and check again. The harder you make their journey (the foxes)they will go elsewhere.