Old 10-05-2008, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wanted a very large, almost decadently beautiful, clematis.

Judith in France wrote:
I want a clematis that has the wow factor, noting subtle, small or
delicate, I have many of those as Charlie knows. What I want is in
your face, beautiful to the extreme of being obscene, any ideas,
colour preferred would be white but the single most important factor,
is the brief in the subject line.

Judith

Miss Bateman - white with violet stamens wows me.

http://www.paghat.com/missbateman.html

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

I had a "henryi", but it died :-( That comes close. As does
"The President", which is an extreme purple.

I once had a lonicera henryi which was the most boring plant i have ever
owned, no fragrance and horrible small brown colour flowers.

Hope it wasn't named after the same plant breeder as the clematis!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-05-2008, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| I had a "henryi", but it died :-( That comes close. As does
| "The President", which is an extreme purple.
|
| I once had a lonicera henryi which was the most boring plant i have ever
| owned, no fragrance and horrible small brown colour flowers.

I have owned much more boring ones, but I eventually dug mine up and
gave it away.

| Hope it wasn't named after the same plant breeder as the clematis!

It probably was :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 11, 12:38 pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

I had a "henryi", but it died :-( That comes close. As does
"The President", which is an extreme purple.

I once had a lonicera henryi which was the most boring plant i have ever
owned, no fragrance and horrible small brown colour flowers.

Hope it wasn't named after the same plant breeder as the clematis!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I have now decided on 3!! Henryi and Marie bosselot as mentioned to
me by Charlie and Artic White by Sacha. I will Google on suppliers
round here to see if I can get them otherwise I will order them online
from England.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Judith
Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/5/08 08:35, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 11/5/08 13:14, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On May 11, 12:38 pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

I had a "henryi", but it died :-( That comes close. As does
"The President", which is an extreme purple.

I once had a lonicera henryi which was the most boring plant i have ever
owned, no fragrance and horrible small brown colour flowers.

Hope it wasn't named after the same plant breeder as the clematis!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I have now decided on 3!! Henryi and Marie bosselot as mentioned to
me by Charlie and Artic White by Sacha. I will Google on suppliers
round here to see if I can get them otherwise I will order them online
from England.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Judith

I think Marie Boisselot may be known also as Madame Le Coultre but Charlie
will know for sure.

Tis the same clematis and the same person marie married a Le Coutre!

Even as I was typing that I wondered if that had to be the answer. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 8:35 am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 11/5/08 13:14, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

[...]

Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Sounds all very French Charlie but I am not having any luck locally!!

Judith