Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What can i sow this late?

Due to events this year i have been unable to have any time to do any
sowing or planting out until this week.
Apart from all my special cuttings dying from the heat in the greenhouse
I have tons of seeds i can use.
What can i salvage from this late in the season?
Can i try sungold tomatoes even if sowing them now?
Just planted the Charlotte sets to see and also the onion sets as you
never know till you try.
Trouble is I'm not sure about the other vegetables or sweet peas etc.
--
Janet
Hedgerows & lawns
Old 10-05-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 May 2008 01:37:16 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote
(in article ):

Due to events this year i have been unable to have any time to do any
sowing or planting out until this week.
Apart from all my special cuttings dying from the heat in the greenhouse
I have tons of seeds i can use.
What can i salvage from this late in the season?
Can i try sungold tomatoes even if sowing them now?
Just planted the Charlotte sets to see and also the onion sets as you
never know till you try.
Trouble is I'm not sure about the other vegetables or sweet peas etc.

Janet, I am very much a bumbling amateur and not at all a winter gardener and
sow seeds at very variable times of year depending on weather, what I'm doing
elsewhere etc, and I find that no matter when I sow them they tend to crop at
about the same time!

For instance, one year I sowed runner bean seeds on 23 March and started
picking them on 18 July, and another year I sowed them on 14 May and started
picking on 28 July! Same with tomatoes - I have sowed them at different
times between 24 March and 14 May and they always start cropping at about the
same time each year. I have also sown sweet pea seeds at about this time,
with great success. So I would go for it!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| Due to events this year i have been unable to have any time to do any
| sowing or planting out until this week.

It's not solely a question of time in my case, but the same applies
to me. I shall also have to resow everything that I sowed just before
the hot weather, if things run true to form.

| Apart from all my special cuttings dying from the heat in the greenhouse
| I have tons of seeds i can use.
| What can i salvage from this late in the season?

Everything that doesn't need a very long growing season. Even things
like chillis, sweetcorn and squashes are not too late, as they don't
start growing until it warms up, anyway. You need to wait for cooler,
damper weather before sowing things like carrots, and spinach is now
a waste of time until autumn, but the success of all those is in the
bladder of the gods.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 10, 10:00 am, Sally Thompson
wrote:
[...]

I echo what you say Sally. We have often had to resow after failure
of germination and yet we cropped the tomatoes at about the same
time. We have found that very early sowing makes little difference so
I too would say sow everything you have got, after all you have
nothing to lose and I would love to hear the outcome.

Judith
Old 10-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Due to events this year i have been unable to have any time to do any
sowing or planting out until this week.
Apart from all my special cuttings dying from the heat in the greenhouse
I have tons of seeds i can use.
What can i salvage from this late in the season?
Can i try sungold tomatoes even if sowing them now?
Just planted the Charlotte sets to see and also the onion sets as you
never know till you try.
Trouble is I'm not sure about the other vegetables or sweet peas etc.
--
Janet
Hedgerows & lawns
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/plants
Give them a try - it's early May. Sometimes the late seeds catch up and you also have crops going on later in the year.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

You need to wait for cooler,
damper weather before sowing things like carrots,

Yes, i am germinating the lettuce in a cooler spots in the house as I am
fairly sure the heat at the moment will inhibit germination.
Just sown runner beans and planted onions.
i have a spare bag of red onions if anyone wants them, I bought two by
mistake. i had forgotten I bought the first ones
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-05-2008, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Due to events this year i have been unable to have any time to do any
sowing or planting out until this week.
Apart from all my special cuttings dying from the heat in the greenhouse I
have tons of seeds i can use.
What can i salvage from this late in the season?
Can i try sungold tomatoes even if sowing them now?
Just planted the Charlotte sets to see and also the onion sets as you
never know till you try.
Trouble is I'm not sure about the other vegetables or sweet peas etc.

Onions etc will be fine, just a little late and probably a bit small,
depends on the summer.
Peas and beans will be OK as will carrots, leeks and parsnips. Lettuce is
planted throughout the season anyway. Sweetcorn, provided it's one of the
modern quick growing type will be OK too.
All the cucurbits will be Ok, and will probably catch up with earlier
planted ones, given a bit of extra TLC.
If you plant some summer cabbages you will get nice autumn ones, but it's
still the right time to plant winter/spring cabbages, cauliflowers, and
sprouts.
You can plant some Toms for outside now but I would probably buy in plants
this late.

Basically it all depends on our summer.

Hope that helps

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-05-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

You can plant some Toms for outside now but I would probably buy in plants
this late.

Basically it all depends on our summer.

Hope that helps

Thanks Bob for the suggestions, duly printed for reference.
I wanted sungold but couldn't find any locally so i looked on Ebay and
received three plants for just over a pound!! Really well packed and
healthy plants. So i shan't miss out on that front either

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph