Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.garden,rec.gardens

Default Anti Slug and Snail Experiment

Following postings about slugs and snails and copper wire etc., I am
performing some experiments which gardeners, (that does not include me, I am
a non gardener, 'her outdoors' is the gardener) might like to follow.

Pictures at http://www.myalbum.com/Album-NSVC6IM7

One of the pictures shows a slug which is reluctant in going over the copper
wire.

Other pictures are self explanatory .

The three pots of beans are now under the tender care of 'her outdoors' in
her greenhouse. Once the plants show above the compost, they will be placed
in a 'vulnerable' position outdoors where the slugs and snails seem to
frequent.

Watch this space.

Be delighted to answer any questions.

The Cathodic/Electrolytic Action experiment with two dissimilar metals round
a pot may follow later.

Mike

Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 May 2008 13:42:16 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

One of the pictures shows a slug which is reluctant in going over the copper
wire.

Um - yes but - the slugs are supposed to be /outside/ the perimeter fence...

Geo
Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.garden,england.rec.gardening

"Geo" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 May 2008 13:42:16 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

One of the pictures shows a slug which is reluctant in going over the
copper
wire.

Um - yes but - the slugs are supposed to be /outside/ the perimeter
fence...

Geo

Yes. That is one we found inside, so it was lifted up and placed alongside
the copper cable. It wasn't happy ;-(

The cable on that bed only went on a couple of days ago so we can only
assume it was already in the bed.

Follow this thread :-))

Watch this space :-))

Mike

Old 10-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

Uh, the slug appears to be "in" the raised garden. Maybe he is reluctant
to leave a free lunch. In the picture with the copper tape, there is no
plant to attract the slugs or did they already eat it?;-)
--

Billy
Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,england.rec.gardening,rec.garden

"Billy" wrote in message

Uh, the slug appears to be "in" the raised garden. Maybe he is reluctant
to leave a free lunch. In the picture with the copper tape, there is no
plant to attract the slugs or did they already eat it?;-)
--

Billy

It is indeed on the inside and we are not sure if it was there when the
copper cable was stapled on only a few days ago.

With regards to the beans in the pots, they were planted today and now in
the loving care of 'her outdoors' in the greenhouse. Once they put their
heads above the compost they will be placed in the most venerable place in
the garden, i.e. where we get most slugs and snails and watch :-))

Watch this place :-))

Mike

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
Following postings about slugs and snails and copper wire etc., I am
performing some experiments which gardeners, (that does not include me, I
am a non gardener, 'her outdoors' is the gardener) might like to follow.

The Cathodic/Electrolytic Action experiment with two dissimilar metals
round a pot may follow later.

Mike

Many years ago (about 30+) I read about copper deflecting the onslaught of
slugs. It so happened soon after reading this tidbit of information I
spotted a box of copper tape on the counter of my company 'store' while I
was getting spare fuses for my truck. I asked the fellow what it was for. He
had no idea nor who ordered it. We paved roads. He said if I wanted it I
could have it. Whoopie! Two dozen lovely 100ft rolls of 2 inch wide copper
'tape'.

I ran a single strip of tape this all around the outside of my wooden raised
vegetable beds and flower planter boxes. I live in the Pacific NW,
USA.......we have SLUGS! I did this in early spring, just before I planted.
The first few weeks I picked slugs out of the beds and boxes but I assume
these were already there or hatched from existing eggs. I never saw trails
or evidence of slugs crossing the tape. By mid summer my raised beds and
boxes were slug free. THEN......as the corrosion started covering the tape
(heavy green-bluish stuff) the slugs began to creep over the most heavily
corroded areas. Apparently this insulates the electrifying effect. Problem
easily solved organically. I cleaned the copper bottoms of some of my
cooking pans with tomato juice. I poured tomato juice into a small bucket,
rubbed down the tape using a rag dipped in the juice, hosed off the residue
and once again the tape was shiny and repelling slugs. This continued to
work the 15 years I lived there.

One hint about attaching your copper. I used roofing nails and soon saw that
electrolysis occurred from the metals reacting to each other. It wouldn't be
long before it corroded through and the tape would fall off. I pulled the
nails, predrilled holes about every 3-4 feet or so, applied a dab of
silicone caulk and inserted a nylon staple type peg. The 'peg' was from a
piece of crap Buttoneer Tool I was given, never used the useless gadget. My
young son had been using the tool for a "ray gun", had to dig that out of
his toy box. Never throw anything away, never know when you might need it

Val

Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.garden

"Val" wrote in message

Val

Sounds good Val

Many thanks

Mike

Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 AM posted to rec.garden,uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

I'm going to try copper wire around unglazed pots. We have voracious
slugs, some are over 7" long and hunt a couple hours after dark. Beer
traps didn't work so well, snail/slug bait is much better. Some years
are much worse than others, I think it depends on the past winter
temperatures and duration. I've heard the slugs dislike hair, sharp
sand, gravel or diatomaceous earth. But, I've seen pictures of
slugs/snails crossing a razor or knife without getting cut, I guess
due to slime protection. The west coast has some huge slugs that
invade many gardens. Some pick them off early in the morning.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0082.JPG

That is my daughter - she will sit for an hour watching these things crawl
on her hands....

Would you like me to send our slugs and snails for her to play with? ;-)

Whereabouts are you?

Mike

Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On Sat, 10 May 2008 12:55:18 -0700, "Val"
wrote:

~
~"'Mike'" wrote in message
~news ~ Following postings about slugs and snails and copper wire etc., I am
[...]

I bought some adhesive copper tape from the Organic Garden Catalogue
and have stuck it round the potting shed window to stop them getting
in, and also around the large pot of my main hosta plant.

Sadly they don't seem to be stopped by it - keep having to remove
snails from under the pot rim daily... have to admit I was rather
disappointed. I'm just hoping that some are discouraged and I don't
have lace for hosta leaves in a month... but I'm glad I didn't buy
slug rings - much more expensive and it would have been really
annoying to find they don't work!

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

It may be worth hitting them with a liquid slug killer now the barriers
are up as there will be lots living on the inside :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , jane
writes

I bought some adhesive copper tape from the Organic Garden Catalogue
and have stuck it round the potting shed window to stop them getting
in, and also around the large pot of my main hosta plant.

Sadly they don't seem to be stopped by it - keep having to remove
snails from under the pot rim daily... have to admit I was rather
disappointed. I'm just hoping that some are discouraged and I don't
have lace for hosta leaves in a month... but I'm glad I didn't buy
slug rings - much more expensive and it would have been really
annoying to find they don't work!

The two things that we have learned during the past 3 years of using
copper tape around containers of hostas are to ensure that you do not
have any slugs hiding under the container rim before applying the tape
(and check for any minute beasts already in the container at this time
of year) and
standard copper slug barrier tape works very well on slugs but not on
snails (apparently there is a serrated edge copper tape that is supposed
to work on snails and slugs but it is of course, more expensive.
Luckily we have very few snails as we have some permanently hungry
thrushes.

--
Robert

Old 13-05-2008, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

... I'm glad I didn't buy
slug rings - much more expensive and it would have been really
annoying to find they don't work!

The rings work for me.

The tape doesn't work for me.

Mary

Old 20-05-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.garden,rec.gardens

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Now been brought out into the open and placed where slugs and snails are
always quite 'busy' :-((

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-HLLCEHR8

Watch this space.

Mike

Old 21-05-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

They sell rolls of copper in the gardening section of most home
improvement stores. It works great.
Copper is getting so expensive though! I'm thinking of finding a way
to use pennies instead.

You can also use some lemon to clean your copper.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

"Laura at theGardenPages" wrote in message
They sell rolls of copper in the gardening section of most home
improvement stores. It works great.
Copper is getting so expensive though! I'm thinking of finding a way
to use pennies instead.

You can also use some lemon to clean your copper.

and Coca Cola and Daddies Sauce :-)

Just think what they do to your stumick ;-)

Mike

Old 22-05-2008, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Laura at theGardenPages" wrote in message
They sell rolls of copper in the gardening section of most home
improvement stores. It works great.
Copper is getting so expensive though! I'm thinking of finding a way
to use pennies instead.

You can also use some lemon to clean your copper.

It doesn't need to be clean to work :-)

Mary