Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper Anti Slug and Snail Rings

I have some old scrap cable under the bench somewhere. Thought I would give
it a try on making some rings/hoops and putting them round the plants as
they come up :-)

Could try to be clever ;-) and put two rings round, one inside the other
about 1 Centimetre apart, but one made of tinned copper wire, then, when the
slug/snail goes over it, there just might be an Electric Current formed by
virtue of two dissimilar metals thus we have our own little Cathodic
Protection system ;-)

Watch this space

Mike

Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote
I have some old scrap cable under the bench somewhere. Thought I would give
it a try on making some rings/hoops and putting them round the plants as
they come up :-)

Could try to be clever ;-) and put two rings round, one inside the other
about 1 Centimetre apart, but one made of tinned copper wire, then, when
the slug/snail goes over it, there just might be an Electric Current
formed by virtue of two dissimilar metals thus we have our own little
Cathodic Protection system ;-)

Watch this space

The ground is going to have to be very flat for those to work Mike, usually
they are copper rings made out of strip copper, a bit like a large pastry
cutter, so one side can be pushed into the soil so the little blighters
can't crawl under. Of course none of them work for those slugs that live
underground.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote
[...]

Got some copper pipe I could flatten on the Anvil :-))

Mike

Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote
[...]

You can tell Mikes background!

I would have thought it was worth a try, true the commerialy made slug rings
are fairly deep, but on the other hand, the adverts for bronze garden tools
say that the minute amount of copper that ends up in the ground acts as a
slug dererent, so who knows.

Slugs are not too much of a problem for me (Wirral, well drained sandy
soil), touch wood, but where i used to live, only three miles away they were
a disaster.

John

Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied to "'Mike'"
[...]

If you could split it lengthways first so it's twice the depth, even better.
I too have quite a bit of copper pipe in the garage so I'll try the metal
cutting disc on the angle grinder... should work.

BTW our Hostas that have had the benefit of coffee grounds are still OK but
the clump that had nothing have already been devastated.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Got some copper pipe I could flatten on the Anvil :-))

If you could split it lengthways first so it's twice the depth, even
better.
I too have quite a bit of copper pipe in the garage so I'll try the metal
cutting disc on the angle grinder... should work.

How much would you need? I could send you some of our scrap pieces of
the copper ridge we use on roofs, so you could experiment, if you want?

It is 15 cms deep, with flutes (just like a scone cutter) on each side.
Being shaped in an inverted 'V', it would probably be best to cut it in
half, for posting, though. (You can see it on the website.)

That's very kind Anne but it would cost a fortune from Perthshire surely?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 2, 8:12 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Got some copper pipe I could flatten on the Anvil :-))

If you could split it lengthways first so it's twice the depth, even
better.
I too have quite a bit of copper pipe in the garage so I'll try the metal
cutting disc on the angle grinder... should work.

How much would you need? I could send you some of our scrap pieces of
the copper ridge we use on roofs, so you could experiment, if you want?

It is 15 cms deep, with flutes (just like a scone cutter) on each side.
Being shaped in an inverted 'V', it would probably be best to cut it in
half, for posting, though. (You can see it on the website.)

--
AnneJ

www.copperridge.co.ukwww.freedomcollars.co.uk

Anne, think what you could do with your scrap pieces!

Judith
Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lnw lnw is offline

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have some old scrap cable under the bench somewhere. Thought I would give
it a try on making some rings/hoops and putting them round the plants as
they come up :-)

Could try to be clever ;-) and put two rings round, one inside the other
about 1 Centimetre apart, but one made of tinned copper wire, then, when
the slug/snail goes over it, there just might be an Electric Current
formed by virtue of two dissimilar metals thus we have our own little
Cathodic Protection system ;-)

Watch this space

Mike

Copper is very expensive so I've bought a few of those copper-coloured pot
scrubbers from Wilko. They're cheapish and appear to have a thin copper
coating, maybe they will work and snarl up the slugs. I intend to pull
apart a pot scraper and make it into a circle to fit around the top of a
pot. At any rate, the slugs will get theyselves cut up trying get through
the pot scraper, I hope.

someone

Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Judith in France contains
these words:
On May 2, 8:12 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

I too have quite a bit of copper pipe in the garage so I'll try the
metal cutting disc on the angle grinder... should work.

How much would you need? I could send you some of our scrap pieces of
the copper ridge we use on roofs, so you could experiment, if you want?

It is 15 cms deep, with flutes (just like a scone cutter) on each side.
Being shaped in an inverted 'V', it would probably be best to cut it in
half, for posting, though. (You can see it on the website.)

Anne, think what you could do with your scrap pieces!

Well, I'm much too busy to even think about diversifying, Judith, but
I'm willing to sacrifice some short lengths of copper, in the pursuit
of knowledge. Anything to beat the damned slugs! ;-)

--
AnneJ

Absolutely, that'll work:

1. Grasp short length of copper firmly in hand, watch & wait
2. When snail or slug appears, beat it to a pulp.

Actually, I just stripped out the copper earth from a spare length of ring
main, and coiled it around the stem for a few inches.
No snail appears to have passed this since -which proves very little,
without seeing a queue of them trying to get past.

Lol

Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John T" wrote in message

... the adverts for bronze garden tools say that the minute amount of
copper that ends up in the ground acts as a slug dererent, so who knows.

If that were true slug deterrance would be easy by watering in a soluble
copper salt.

Mary

Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 2:38 am, Anne Jackson wrote:
[...]

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion
now accepted was once eccentric. ~Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

It's a pity I don't live near, I would be up for some. p.s. off
topic but a few days ago I sent an enquiry direct to your company for
a copper bangle, did your office manager get it?

Judith
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 May 2008 09:25:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

"John T" wrote in message

... the adverts for bronze garden tools say that the minute amount of
copper that ends up in the ground acts as a slug dererent, so who knows.

If that were true slug deterrance would be easy by watering in a soluble
copper salt.

You could make it sound exotic by calling it Bordeaux mix.
--

Martin

Its all very true!
I dont know if Bordeaux mix deters frogs, and i haave never used bronze
garden tools myself. What i do know is that there isnt an easy answer to
slugs, and Mikes original experiment idea might hit on something.
There is more in electrical copper than pure copper anyway, the whole idea
of tinned wire creating an electrolytic effect MIGHT be a deterrent for a
problem.

Encouraging frogs seems to work to! for me and some friends anyway, but i
know it doesnt work everywhere.

Where i used to live, only three miles away, slugs wewe endemic. Here they
are not so much of a problem, which says to me that the sciel=nce of
deterency is a delicate one.

So i think Mike should be encouraged to go on with his wire experiment.

John

Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John T" wrote in message

Its all very true!

It's sales pitch.

Mary

Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 12:16 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Judith in France contains
these words:

It's a pity I don't live near, I would be up for some. p.s. off
topic but a few days ago I sent an enquiry direct to your company
for a copper bangle, did your office manager get it?

She didn't mention it, but I know that we're waiting for a new
supply of bangles to come in. They do rather well, up here...

Might be something to do with the weather? 8-(

Oh, if anyone has a small, arthritic dog, I have a copper collar
going begging...'small terrier' size. E-mail me direct. The address
I use is not munged.

--
AnneJ

www.copperridge.co.ukwww.freedomcollars.co.uk

If she didn't get my email, I will send it again.

Judith
Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 1:28 pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:34:19 GMT, "John T" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"John T" wrote in message

[...]

Feeding them with Heineken and other gnats essence works well too.
--

Martin

Gnats essence, would that be red or white?

Judith