Old 22-05-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chelsea broadcasts

Am i just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female
personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves?

i don't know who she is, some afternoon TV presenter, certainly not a
gardener of the keen kind and too easily made to do 'media' stuff such
as pace up and down (cue pacing music) waiting for the girls who give
out the cards, then running behind them giving girlish shouts of alarm
as they hurry on. Probably trying to get rid of her i should think!.
Sorry don't think she's the right personality/media presenter for the
programme, she even asked one entrant who had just received a bronze for
goodness sake, if he was pleased!! Not sure if the answer wasn't edited
a bit

Why not Penelope Keith or any other 'personality' gardener if that's
what is needed?

Think Andy Sturgeon comes over very self effacing and still pleased to
get a medal, but weird fence/hoops. Glad not to see the dreaded Dermuid.

Did anyone go and were the gardens as good or bad as they appear?

Afraid Mrs Lennox-Boyd is going to find the immaculate pond she built
needs to be cleared every day or it will get weed and floaty bits of
rubbish under those trees every few seconds. It will never look
immaculate after the first ten minutes! In our garden there would also
be blown in plastic pots, the wrapper from some chocolate, leaves, the
dogs ball would land in it and heavens know what other rubbish and
especially duck weed!!

Did like that huge stone ball in the sensory/dementia garden, very
tactile and unusually acceptable, don't know why.
Nobody commenting?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-05-2008, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
[...]

What's happened to Tichmarsh's hair? His sideburns seem to be heading
for his eyebrows.
Old 22-05-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:56:53 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

[...]

I agree with you Janet. I have been staying with a friend, and we
have watched most of the coverage, getting more and more frustrated by
the zooming in and out on plants, dashing about, close-ups of the
presenters and celebrities IN the gardens but not enough detail of the
gardens themselves, except for some of the top ones which got too much
coverage. Yes I like Andy Sturgeon and his garden, apaart from the
cylinders!
My friend IS going tomorrow (Friday) and I await her verdict.

For people who can't go, it would be nice to have at least one
programme with a tour round the gardens and the stands, telling us
about them without so much of the presenters.

I also wondered who that lunchtime girl is, and why she was chosen.
Why can't we have Carol Klein doing it? I've not got digital, so
can't see the extra programmes which sound as though they are much
more plant orientated.
The whole TV coverage is getting more and more gimmicky. I've had
enough!

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-05-2008, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What's happened to Tichmarsh's hair? His sideburns seem to be heading
for his eyebrows.

I am glad someone else noticed that, he looks like a silent movie film star,
but I still like him :-)

kate

Old 22-05-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Am I just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female
personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves?

No idea who she is either !

Think Andy Sturgeon comes over very self effacing and still pleased to get
a medal, but weird fence/hoops.

I like the hoops..........any idea what they are made of?

Glad not to see the dreaded Dermuid.

I would like to see his garden tho. They seem to show the same ones over and
over again... :~(

Afraid Mrs Lennox-Boyd is going to find the immaculate pond she built
needs to be cleared every day or it will get weed and floaty bits of
rubbish under those trees every few seconds. It will never look immaculate
after the first ten minutes! In our garden there would also be blown in
plastic pots, the wrapper from some chocolate, leaves, the dogs ball would
land in it and heavens know what other rubbish and especially duck weed!!

Andy was saying all the exhibitors go in every morning at 6am to 'clear up'
!!!!
Not RL at all !

Did like that huge stone ball in the sensory/dementia garden, very tactile
and unusually acceptable, don't know why.

Gorgeous but my roof garden would collapse !

Nobody commenting?

Noticed that Carol Klein was wearing the same multi coloured jacket she had
on a couple of years ago. A woman after my own heart - none of this silly
fashion rubbish :~))

Jenny

Old 22-05-2008, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote

What's happened to Tichmarsh's hair? His sideburns seem to be heading for
his eyebrows.

He's lost weight............ maybe a face lift as well ?
Jenny

Old 22-05-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Am i just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female
personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves?

My friend IS going tomorrow (Friday) and I await her verdict.

The crowds look HORRENDOUS !

For people who can't go, it would be nice to have at least one
programme with a tour round the gardens and the stands, telling us
about them without so much of the presenters.

YES !!

We all make this comment every eyar but the BBC takes no notice..........

The whole TV coverage is getting more and more gimmicky. I've had
enough!

Even if the TV coverage is bad, at least you can tape it and zap through the
boring bits :~)
Jenny

Old 22-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Am i just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves
Only caught a bit of it and agree the breathy excitement just annoyed me. Yes, it should be someone who gardens. But not one of those 'professional' presenters!

I've never been but would love to go, just for some ideas and to see layouts etc. I just doubt that anything from 'down south' will grow in my exposed windy site with about 18 inches of soil!

Love the sound of the large ball - if I ever get round to having plants that grow I'll be asking you guys for ideas for unusual garden 'stuff'
Old 22-05-2008, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote (snip))

Afraid Mrs Lennox-Boyd is going to find the immaculate pond she built
needs to be cleared every day or it will get weed and floaty bits of
rubbish under those trees every few seconds. It will never look immaculate
after the first ten minutes! In our garden there would also be blown in
plastic pots, the wrapper from some chocolate, leaves, the dogs ball would
land in it and heavens know what other rubbish and especially duck weed!!

That's why a properly designed pond has a skimmer just like a swimming pool.
:-)
You can by aftermarket ones too...

http://www.koizone.co.uk/products/fi.../skimmers.html

See Oase Skim Swim (it does work but will need emptying a lot at first if
you suffer with Duck Weed)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-05-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Am i just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female
personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves?

delurk

Nicki Chapman is her name and yes I find her somewhat irritating. I saw
here trying to do some filming but I think the sunlight was mucking up
the shot the Beeb were trying to get.

i don't know who she is, some afternoon TV presenter, certainly not a
gardener of the keen kind and too easily made to do 'media' stuff such
as pace up and down (cue pacing music) waiting for the girls who give
out the cards, then running behind them giving girlish shouts of alarm
as they hurry on. Probably trying to get rid of her i should think!.

I almost walked in to the "medal girls" today as I exited the Floristry
exhibition. That was very interesting and a pleasing interlude from the
throng outside.

Sorry don't think she's the right personality/media presenter for the
programme, she even asked one entrant who had just received a bronze for
goodness sake, if he was pleased!! Not sure if the answer wasn't edited
a bit

Why not Penelope Keith or any other 'personality' gardener if that's
what is needed?

I think they need to change the focus of the show for a personality
gardener to work as lead presenter.

I saw Mr Titchmarsh today - he was chatting away to the public and
signing autographs. This was being filmed as well but people just wanted
to talk to him and he seemed happy to do so. I know people will say "he
has to do that if the cameras are rolling" but I think he genuinely
likes chatting to other gardeners. He did appear to be going grey around
the edges though!

I saw him last year, just after he'd done a broadcast, being led away by
his "minder" and he looked fed up and possibly wishing he could just
look at the plants or else just switch off.

Think Andy Sturgeon comes over very self effacing and still pleased to
get a medal, but weird fence/hoops. Glad not to see the dreaded Dermuid.

I wasn't very impressed by the Diarmaid garden to be honest nor the
other "celeb" garden - Rachel de Thame. The latter did have big crowds
every time I went past but no sign of the lady herself.

Did anyone go and were the gardens as good or bad as they appear?

I went today and got there reasonably early. I had mixed feelings about
many of the gardens. Television really doesn't convey the right
impression. I liked the BUPA garden, that Chinese one with the wooden
structure - much better than on the telly, I wasn't so struck on the
Laurent Perrier (best in show) but did like Andy Sturgeon's garden.
There is much more to it in terms of levels, the water and the planting.
I loved the Japanese urban garden - the one with the moss - as it was
exquisite and beautifully detailed. The best in show of the urban
gardens was a delight too - great plants, design and really what I'd
love to come home to. The australian (Flemings) garden was also not bad
but it was more structural than plant orientated.

The courtyard gardens were a bit variable for me but the Shetland garden
and the best in show with the children's veg garden were both good -
perhaps I just like gardens with a combination of flowers and veg?!

The Great Pavilion was excellent and seemed better managed this year -
no one way system and I only encountered one jam. There were many
excellent stands here - the Alpine Society, the NFU stand, Hilliers,
Knoll Gardens, Kelways etc. I happen to like grasses and perennial
plants so I guess those stands are the ones I prefer. The big floral
displays of lillies, chrysanthemums, narcissi etc were also excellent.

I felt the show was better this year than last although I wasn't
completely convinced about the "green theme" this year. I did hear some
grumbles from other people who I think prefer to see lots of flowers in
gardens. Having done a lot of NGS garden visiting recently there are
some of those gardens that I think would transplant to Chelsea very well
- some are certainly more inspirational than the show gardens.

Afraid Mrs Lennox-Boyd is going to find the immaculate pond she built
needs to be cleared every day or it will get weed and floaty bits of
rubbish under those trees every few seconds. It will never look
immaculate after the first ten minutes! In our garden there would also
be blown in plastic pots, the wrapper from some chocolate, leaves, the
dogs ball would land in it and heavens know what other rubbish and
especially duck weed!!

True but the planting at the rear of the garden was really good with
some good contrasts. Having viewed from different angles I think I got
"the point" of the garden more than I had from seeing it on the box.

Did like that huge stone ball in the sensory/dementia garden, very
tactile and unusually acceptable, don't know why.

That was a good garden and the planting was great from all angles. The
people explaining what it meant for the people who will use it - it'll
be moved after the show to a nearby care facility - were very clear and
helpful.

The digital "extra broadcasts" in the Great Pavilion are much better
than the normal shows. I've only recorded the Carol Klein / Chris
Beardshaw ones which have focused on the plants and some practical but
basic tips about propagation, planting and pruning.

Nobody commenting?

yes but relurking
--
Paul C

Old 22-05-2008, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

wrote:

Am i just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female
personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves?

My friend IS going tomorrow (Friday) and I await her verdict.

The crowds look HORRENDOUS !

I was there today :-) Yes, it's busy! But it's a good crowd and although
people gather around the exhibits, people are moving so you get to the
front within 30 seconds.

It's a great day out (a GREAT day)... would have been nicer with a
little less furniture for sale. Or a little less furniture that you
don't have to re mortgage your house to buy!
Old 22-05-2008, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I think tonight's programme was better than others with a bit more
"meat".
I'm VERY sad about the news about Monty Don. Who will replace him?
Any suggestions? Carol is the one with most enthusiasm, but perhaps
they'll bring in someone new.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-05-2008, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Why not Penelope Keith or any other 'personality' gardener if that's what
is needed?

Think Andy Sturgeon comes over very self effacing and still pleased to get
a medal, but weird fence/hoops. Glad not to see the dreaded Dermuid.

Why did Titchmouse read out 2 emails complaining that Dermuid only got
bronze - in front of an RHS judge. I think it's high time the Beeb and the
RHS parted company.

Bertie

Old 23-05-2008, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Am i just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female
personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves?
snipped

I am convinced that the BBC's so called coverage of the Chelsea Flower
Show is just an excuse for them to parade on our TV's the media
equivalent of the "great and the good".
The amount of info on plants and gardens is miniscule, and grows smaller
every year. The amount of silly "waffle" from the so called "famous"
grows greater each year. Why don't the BBC come clean, drop all
reference to the Flower Show and put on a version of "Spot the
celebrity" instead.
I've given up watching.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 24-05-2008, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes

I'm VERY sad about the news about Monty Don. Who will replace him?
Any suggestions? Carol is the one with most enthusiasm, but perhaps
they'll bring in someone new.

Pam in Bristol

As long as it's not Chris Beardshaw i don't mind!

Joe watsit might just do or might 2 share? It's got to be someone with
commitment to actual gardening and there's not many of them any more!
What might be good would be to have an unknown keen gardener perhaps.

Carol Klein is just a bit over the top but would be possible, Trust it's
someone that does vegetables as well as down to earth gardening!
What about Bob Flowerdew for food stuff and someone else for decorative
things?