Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderflower cordial

On Jun 5, 11:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 5/6/08 14:04, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:27:19 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 5/6/08 12:08, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| My knowledge of chemistry is limited, but I have replaced citric acid
| in lemon juice in several recipes, very successfully.
|
| I never use citric acid, lemon juice is more than adequate. After all,
what
| is the acid in lemons?
|
| :-)

Not all citric :-)

No, but so what? In this recipe any acid could be used (if you know what
you're doing and understand acids). Lemons add flavour as well as acid(s).

Mary

In the recipe I give you use lemons *and* acid.

Skip the elder flowers and go straight to Limoncello.
You know it makes sense.

I think this may prove why your wife doesn't let you do much cooking! But
yes, working on the Limoncello idea with the help of our Meyer's lemon.
Another "round tuit".
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

I did wonder whether I should ask him to come with me to the cooking
course on Sunday, on seconds thoughts maybe not if he can't tell if
Limoncello is off :-)
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| ROFL I am back, just about and covered in a nasty rash - I didn't go
| into the sun at all, this was caused by laying on a recliner, very
| comfy, under a huge parasol, complete with a huge black hat to keep
| out any stray sun - it was the heat wot dun me in, 44 degrees :-)

Ah. Prickly heat. Common with high humidity, but sensitive people
can get it even in dry heat. Not nice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 11:05 am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 02:59:46 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 5/6/08 14:04, in article ,

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| My knowledge of chemistry is limited, but I have replaced citric acid
| in lemon juice in several recipes, very successfully.
|
| I never use citric acid, lemon juice is more than adequate. After all,
what
| is the acid in lemons?
|
| :-)

Not all citric :-)

No, but so what? In this recipe any acid could be used (if you know what
you're doing and understand acids). Lemons add flavour as well as acid(s).

Mary

In the recipe I give you use lemons *and* acid.

Skip the elder flowers and go straight to Limoncello.
You know it makes sense.

I think this may prove why your wife doesn't let you do much cooking! But
yes, working on the Limoncello idea with the help of our Meyer's lemon.
Another "round tuit".

I did wonder whether I should ask him to come with me to the cooking
course on Sunday, on seconds thoughts maybe not if he can't tell if
Limoncello is off :-)

If it's off, you need more alcohol in your Limoncello.
--

Martin

I'll tell the makers then shall I? What's your weather like, ours is
awful, rain, rain and more rain. We had the wood burner on last
night!!!!

Judith
Old 06-06-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 11:10 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| ROFL I am back, just about and covered in a nasty rash - I didn't go
| into the sun at all, this was caused by laying on a recliner, very
| comfy, under a huge parasol, complete with a huge black hat to keep
| out any stray sun - it was the heat wot dun me in, 44 degrees :-)

Ah. Prickly heat. Common with high humidity, but sensitive people
can get it even in dry heat. Not nice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I often have prickly heat in hot climates Nick, this is different it
is just like measles. The humidity was extremely high in Dubai,
higher than I have ever experienced.

Judith

Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| Ah. Prickly heat. Common with high humidity, but sensitive people
| can get it even in dry heat. Not nice.
|
| I often have prickly heat in hot climates Nick, this is different it
| is just like measles. The humidity was extremely high in Dubai,
| higher than I have ever experienced.

My guesss is that you had only the mild forms before; did you get the
formication?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

... What's your weather like, ours is
awful, rain, rain and more rain. We had the wood burner on last
night!!!!

Ours has been lovely, mostly, if you like sun and heat. There's been enough
rain for the garden but not while we've been outside.

Ideal growing and leisure conditions - we've had almost every meal outside
for some time. Heating hasn't been on a months, boiler rarely for hot water,
the solar panel has usually made more than enough - a large cylinder full
and up to 70+ yesterday.

But that's Yorkshire :-)

Mary

Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 11:49 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| Ah. Prickly heat. Common with high humidity, but sensitive people
| can get it even in dry heat. Not nice.
|
| I often have prickly heat in hot climates Nick, this is different it
| is just like measles. The humidity was extremely high in Dubai,
| higher than I have ever experienced.

My guesss is that you had only the mild forms before; did you get the
formication?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes I did, quite severely. The humidity in Dubai was 98%, I can only
liken it to being in a sauna.

Judith
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 12:08 pm, Martin wrote:
On 6 Jun 2008 10:49:00 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| Ah. Prickly heat. Common with high humidity, but sensitive people
| can get it even in dry heat. Not nice.
|
| I often have prickly heat in hot climates Nick, this is different it
| is just like measles. The humidity was extremely high in Dubai,
| higher than I have ever experienced.

My guesss is that you had only the mild forms before; did you get the
formication?

double take oh! formication )
--

Martin

Martin!!! what have I told you about that mind of yours?

Judith
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 11:49 am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 03:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

Judith in France writes:

| ROFL I am back, just about and covered in a nasty rash - I didn't go
| into the sun at all, this was caused by laying on a recliner, very
| comfy, under a huge parasol, complete with a huge black hat to keep
| out any stray sun - it was the heat wot dun me in, 44 degrees :-)

Ah. Prickly heat. Common with high humidity, but sensitive people
can get it even in dry heat. Not nice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I often have prickly heat in hot climates Nick, this is different it
is just like measles. The humidity was extremely high in Dubai,
higher than I have ever experienced.

Its not World of Leather syndrome is it?
--

Martin

Do tell as I haven't the faintest!!

Judith

Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| | Ah. Prickly heat. Common with high humidity, but sensitive people
| | can get it even in dry heat. Not nice.
| |
| | I often have prickly heat in hot climates Nick, this is different it
| | is just like measles. The humidity was extremely high in Dubai,
| | higher than I have ever experienced.
|
| My guesss is that you had only the mild forms before; did you get the
| formication?
|
| Yes I did, quite severely. The humidity in Dubai was 98%, I can only
| liken it to being in a sauna.

Yuck. That's like the nastiest areas of West Africa. It's a real
killer (literally, for people without air conditioning). I am not
surprised at full-blown prickly heat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.