Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderflower cordial

It's that time again. Anyone else going to make some?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
It's that time again. Anyone else going to make some?

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Only if you tell me how to!

Judith
Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
It's that time again. Anyone else going to make some?

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Only if you tell me how to!

Judith

It's very easy but it smells of cat's pee, so you might like to let it stand
somewhere that it won't offend your nostrils while it's 'brewing'.

Ingredients
30 elderflower heads
6 pints (approx. 3 litres) of boiling water
2lb (900g) caster sugar or preserving sugar
1 packet of citric or tartaric acid (available from chemists)
2 unwaxed oranges
3 unwaxed lemons

Method
1. Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little
creatures.
2. Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir
well and leave to cool.
3. Add the citric acid, the oranges and lemons sliced, and then the flowers.
4. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Strain through some muslin and bottle and freeze.

It's a sticky business but I pour mine into those individual ice cube bags
because one cube is just right for one drink and if you defrost a few a day,
they'll keep in a jug in the fridge for a few days anyway.
The undiluted cordial is lovely poured over gooseberries.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Thanks Sacha, I wonder if this acid is available at our chemist in
France or whether lemon juice would be a good alternative?

Judith
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
,
"Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Had this by email today

http://m.fw-reply.com/www/2C646N/A6z...IaCI/index.htm

Old 04-06-2008, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| [ Citric acid ]
|
| Thanks Sacha, I wonder if this acid is available at our chemist in
| France or whether lemon juice would be a good alternative?

Probably. It's a widely used food additive. And, yes, lemon juice
works perfectly well as an alternative, essentially anywhere citric
acid is specified.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/6/08 17:57, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I can't answer that, having absolutely no knowledge of chemistry! I think
it's part of the preserving process, so possibly not. I DO know that it can
be hard to find because addicts use it to 'cut' heroin with. I found this
out because I had great difficulty getting hold of it one year and our local
chemist told me why. This year, they've ordered it for me and others, of
course!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/6/08 18:39, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:57:51 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Lemon juice is citric acid.

Finding unwaxed oranges and lemons is a bit more difficult. The wax contains
pesticide.

Not here. Lemons are labeled as unwaxed in the supermarkets. I haven't
looked for unwaxed oranges but personally, I don't use the oranges, just the
lemons. I'm afraid I don't agree with Nick's remark that lemon juice would
do as well because I think that, in addition to the lemons already in the
recipe, *might* make it too sharp. Of course, with all these country
recipes, the point is to experiment, too. So try it, Judith and see what
you think. But freeze the juice. I see different recommendations with
regard to keeping it. Some say, fridge, some say freezer, some say
cupboard. I always freeze mine and take it out when needed. It keeps for
about a week in the fridge, IME and may do so for longer but I err on the
side of caution simply because there seems to be a wide range of opinion on
this.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

We don't make the cordial but I make elderflower 'champagne' ('fizz' for the
purists):

ELDERFLOWER CHAMPAGNE
a.. 50 elderflower heads
b.. 3 2lb bags of caster sugar
c.. 11 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
d.. 25 litres of cold water
e.. 11 large lemons
Pick the elderflowers when fully out and shake to remove insects. Place the
flowers in a cloth bag, seal it and put it into the water with the sugar,
vinegar, juice and zest from the lemons. Mix well, cover and stand for 72
hours. Bottle and leave for 2 weeks releasing the fizz every couple of days
or the bottles will burst.

I use plastic fizzy drink bottles which I beg from friends because we don't
use them. PET bottles will withstand the pressure. You really do have to
release the pressure regularly. The plastic bottles I use would not stand up
to the fiercest pressure because it rounds out the bottoms, but they do not
burst. I have known glass bottles explode on rare occasions, and for the
screw tops to be blown off. If you release the fizz and don't leave the
bottles in a warm place you should be alright.

You can reduce the amounts in proportion and make smaller batches. The drink
is ideal for barbecues with plenty of ice. Or just on a warm summer
afternoon, sitting in the garden and being civilised :-)

Mary

Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 7:05 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 18:39, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:57:51 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Thanks Sacha, you much would be in a sachet in England, just in case I
have to get it loose here? I will freeze it as you suggest but also
try and make some Champagne as well. I wonder how elderflower ice
cream would go down as I have a gelatiere .

Judith

Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 6:28 pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
,
"Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I have bookmarked this Robert for future use, thank you.

Judith
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 6:37 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| [ Citric acid ]
|
| Thanks Sacha, I wonder if this acid is available at our chemist in
| France or whether lemon juice would be a good alternative?

Probably. It's a widely used food additive. And, yes, lemon juice
works perfectly well as an alternative, essentially anywhere citric
acid is specified.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick.

Judith
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 6:39 pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:57:51 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I only buy unwaxed cirtus fruits, and these are easy to obtain in
France.

Judith
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 7:00 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 17:57, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:59 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 4/6/08 12:35, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:59 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Good grief, I might like a glass of Bubbly to get a bit high but other
than that I am quite boring. When we were on holiday last week, I
said to my daughters that I could smell a whiff, they fell about

Judith
Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

I only buy unwaxed cirtus fruits, and these are easy to obtain in
France.

Judith

They are here too.

Mary