Old 15-06-2008, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default There went summer

We've had a couple of lovely days of brilliant sunshine. Late yesterday pm
we got a huge cloudburst and a bit later more sun. This morning dawned very
bright and now it is grey, dark and hissing down with rain. I really hope
that's not 'it' for this year!
Anyway, we're off to Tresco towards the end of this month so it better cheer
up!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-06-2008, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We've had a couple of lovely days of brilliant sunshine. Late yesterday
pm
we got a huge cloudburst and a bit later more sun. This morning dawned
very
bright and now it is grey, dark and hissing down with rain. I really hope
that's not 'it' for this year!
Anyway, we're off to Tresco towards the end of this month so it better
cheer
up!

--
Sacha

Wall to wall sunshine and blue skies on the Isle of Wight :-))

Mike

Old 15-06-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/6/08 10:47, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:43:41 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:17:29 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We've had a couple of lovely days of brilliant sunshine. Late yesterday pm
we got a huge cloudburst and a bit later more sun. This morning dawned very
bright and now it is grey, dark and hissing down with rain. I really hope
that's not 'it' for this year!

It rained here in ZH for the first time in more than a week last night.

Anyway, we're off to Tresco towards the end of this month so it better cheer
up!

It looked fine on 1 April 2007

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/webcams/scillies_offislands_webcam.shtm

This one updates
http://www.scillyman.co.uk/Web_Cam.html

That view of St Martin's must be pretty much opposite the Island Hotel on
Tresco, I think. The lighthouse looks familiar. ;-)) I'm told the hotel
on St Martin's is very good so we must try that one day but the lure of
Tresco is hard to resist. We just love it and this time we're doing a coals
to Newcastle thing and taking them some plants!

Old 15-06-2008, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/6/08 11:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:19:05 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 15/6/08 10:47, in article
,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/conten...ds_webcam.shtm

This one updates
http://www.scillyman.co.uk/Web_Cam.html

That view of St Martin's must be pretty much opposite the Island Hotel on
Tresco, I think. The lighthouse looks familiar. ;-))

On Round Island?

Yes, that sounds right.

I'm told the hotel
on St Martin's is very good so we must try that one day but the lure of
Tresco is hard to resist. We just love it and this time we're doing a coals
to Newcastle thing and taking them some plants!

They've provided a detailed map to help you locate it. Round Island isn't on
it

http://www.scillyman.co.uk/Large_map.html

How extraordinary not to show the rock with the lighthouse on it!

Old 15-06-2008, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/6/08 11:58, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:51:50 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

How extraordinary not to show the rock with the lighthouse on it!

It's on his small map.
http://www.scillyman.co.uk/Scillies_map.html

That's a relief! ;-)

Old 15-06-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/6/08 12:09, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:03:36 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 15/6/08 11:58, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:51:50 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

How extraordinary not to show the rock with the lighthouse on it!

It's on his small map.
http://www.scillyman.co.uk/Scillies_map.html

That's a relief! ;-)

If he is an island ferry boat operator.

The ferry seems very expensive.

We haven't used it at all except once to go to St Agnes and I think it was
just a couple of pounds each - not much anyway. But that's just one of the
small boats that run like buses between the islands. The Scillonian is the
'big' boat that runs from the mainland to Scilly. First time we went to
Bryher Mike Nelhams drove us across in his Land Rover because it was spring
tides! We hitched a ride back at high water with the Tresco harbour master.
At present Tresco is doing an extraordinarily good deal which involves a
stay at the hotel and free helicopter or ship connections. The helicopter
is a significant past of the cost normally, so while a day trip to the Abbey
Gardens is certainly possible, it's a costly 'day out', even if I do
recommend it very highly. Certainly treating oneself to a few nights at the
hotel or at the New Inn has to be one of the best short breaks ever.

Old 15-06-2008, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/6/08 14:09, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:25:33 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 15/6/08 12:09, in article
,

"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:51:50 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

How extraordinary not to show the rock with the lighthouse on it!

It's on his small map.
http://www.scillyman.co.uk/Scillies_map.html

That's a relief! ;-)

If he is an island ferry boat operator.

The ferry seems very expensive.

We haven't used it at all except once to go to St Agnes and I think it was
just a couple of pounds each - not much anyway. But that's just one of the
small boats that run like buses between the islands. The Scillonian is the
'big' boat that runs from the mainland to Scilly.

I meant that The Scillonian is very expensive. Judging from it's appearance it
has fully depreciated. It makes some Greek inter island ferries look modern,
perhaps because the Scillonian is 31 years old. The Greek govt. sets a maximum
permissible age of ferries at 35 years?

I've never made the journey but I gather it's bouncy at times, to put it
mildly. My step-daughter went on the Scillonian the first time she visited
Scilly and it was so horrendous that she vowed never to leave the islands
unless she could go home by helicopter!

When I was a small child I went from St Marys to Tresco on the same boat that
featured in the recent TV series about the Scilly vicar.

An Island Parish? We enjoyed that.

First time we went to
Bryher Mike Nelhams drove us across in his Land Rover because it was spring
tides! We hitched a ride back at high water with the Tresco harbour master.
At present Tresco is doing an extraordinarily good deal which involves a
stay at the hotel and free helicopter or ship connections. The helicopter
is a significant past of the cost normally, so while a day trip to the Abbey
Gardens is certainly possible, it's a costly 'day out', even if I do
recommend it very highly. Certainly treating oneself to a few nights at the
hotel or at the New Inn has to be one of the best short breaks ever.

I don't trust helicopters.

I love that flight and I enjoy helicopters, though I know they have all the
glide propensity of a housebrick. I particularly enjoy the take off and
landing bit - none of that racing down runways and hoping it's going to make
it into the air before the tarmac runs out!

Old 16-06-2008, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:41:06 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:28:52 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip
[...]

When a helicopter engine conks out there isn't another to keep it flying.

Cough Never heard of a twin-engine helicopter then? Or did you mean
rotor? Plenty of twin rotors too.

(Love helicopter rides, especially the one from Penzance to St Mary's.)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 16-06-2008, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Love helicopter rides, especially the one from Penzance to St Mary's.)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Hope to do the Helicopter trip in the Grand Canyon next year. My daughter
has done it and says it's great :-))

Mike

Old 16-06-2008, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I love that flight and I enjoy helicopters, though I know they have all the
glide propensity of a housebrick.

When I used to fly in one regularly we were told that in the case of an
emergency engine failure (not sure what other dead engine scenario there
could be other than "emergency") the aircraft could "autogiro" glide in for
a heavy but controlled landing. Was this just the operators trying to make
us feel safe? or did that only apply to that particular model, a Bell
Jetranger, I think.

Mike

Old 16-06-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/6/08 09:26, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

I love that flight and I enjoy helicopters, though I know they have all the
glide propensity of a housebrick.

When I used to fly in one regularly we were told that in the case of an
emergency engine failure (not sure what other dead engine scenario there
could be other than "emergency") the aircraft could "autogiro" glide in for
a heavy but controlled landing. Was this just the operators trying to make
us feel safe? or did that only apply to that particular model, a Bell
Jetranger, I think.

I don't know Mike. The ones that fly to Scilly are Sikorsky S61s and they
give you a fabulous flight over Land's End and Mousehole Bay etc. If you
ever do it, sit on the right of the aircraft on the outward trip as this
gives the best view leaving Cornwall and approaching Scilly.
http://www.islesofscillyhelicopter.com/helicopters.html
Approaching the islands the colour and clarity of the water is breath
taking. My one regret is that we are too old to be able to get jobs on
Tresco - assuming I could ever get Ray to give things up here, of course!
I'd live there in a red hot minute. ;-) Mike Nelhams, who is the Curator
of the Abbey Gardens, travels a lot, giving talks and taking parties on
garden tours. He freely admits he has the best job in the world.
When you get to the heliport to take the flight there is a short safety film
which shows someone clambering through an emergency exit with a relaxed
expression and it usually raises a bit of a laugh. We can never hear the
safety talk on the helicopter because of the noise of the engines, so we
simply sit back and enjoy the ride. ;-)

Old 16-06-2008, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sally Thompson writes:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:41:06 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

When a helicopter engine conks out there isn't another to keep it flying.

Cough Never heard of a twin-engine helicopter then? Or did you mean
rotor? Plenty of twin rotors too.

To operate over water in UK airspace a helicopter must be a twin
engine job, either one of which is enough to get it somewhere dry and
land it. Twin rotor jobs have multiple engines plus a drive shaft so
that both rotors keep turning if an engine fails, rather advisable as
the rotors intersect. Any helicopter can freewheel down to a good
("It's a good landing if you can walk away from it, if you can use the
aircraft again that's a bonus" as the saying goes) landing provided it
is high enough and/or moving forwards fast enough (There's a
height/speed dead zone) and engine failure is the only major problem.

A news editor I once worked with got several very nice meals bought
him when it was realised he'd booked the only available twin engine
helicopter able to fly out past the Scillies and film the end of some
trans-Atlantic record attempt...

Anthony

[IBC] How and went to I transplant my sprouted Bonsai seeds? Kitsune Miko Bonsai 1 22-12-2003 10:03 PM
How and went to I transplant my sprouted Bonsai seeds? KC Bonsai 0 22-12-2003 05:33 PM
Went shopping, now need help keeping things alive Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 5 07-10-2003 08:22 PM
Went to the store... Eroyee Orchids 2 07-08-2003 01:02 PM
spines and summer surprises, summer regulars and total garden MADNESS again........... madgardener Gardening 4 10-07-2003 03:20 AM