Old 15-06-2008, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Stella cherry problem

I have a fan trained Stella cherry on a South facing wall. It is about 6
years old, very healthy apart from blackfly which attacks the new growth
every year, which this year I have treated, thus reducing the blackfly
considerably. This year, for the first time, I have a a large number of
fruit set, however sadly they are not developing well. Most have dried
up and shrunk, with few remaining in reasonable condition. I know it is
too late for this year but any suggestions as to the problem and
possible cure for the future? TIA.
Old 15-06-2008, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
wrote

I have a fan trained Stella cherry on a South facing wall. It is about
6 years old, very healthy apart from blackfly which attacks the new
growth every year, which this year I have treated, thus reducing the
blackfly considerably. This year, for the first time, I have a a large
number of fruit set, however sadly they are not developing well. Most
have dried up and shrunk, with few remaining in reasonable condition. I
know it is too late for this year but any suggestions as to the problem
and possible cure for the future? TIA.

I've have the same with my cherry tree this year. Masses of flowers
early in the year when my Mason bee colony was active but most of the
fruit are shrunken with a few fruit developing well. No major problem
with pest observed. The crop this year will be around a 20th of that of
last year. The cause is probably climatic and global warming has
destroyed the crop

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 16-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback View Post
This year, for the first time, I have a a large number of fruit set, however sadly they are not developing well. Most have dried up and shrunk, with few remaining in reasonable condition.
Same happened on most of my fruit trees, due to nasty frosts in april.
Old 17-06-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

echinosum wrote:
Broadback;798450 Wrote:
This year, for the first time, I have a a large number of fruit set,
however sadly they are not developing well. Most have dried up and
shrunk, with few remaining in reasonable condition.

Same happened on most of my fruit trees, due to nasty frosts in april.

Thanks for the replies, seems like it is the weather conditions not a
dreaded lergy. Thanks, lets hope for next year.
Old 19-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback View Post
echinosum wrote:[color=blue][i]
Broadback;798450 Wrote:
This year, for the first time, I have a a large number of fruit set,
however sadly they are not developing well. Most have dried up and
shrunk, with few remaining in reasonable condition.

Same happened on most of my fruit trees, due to nasty frosts in april.

Same here

I have a sunburst cherry.
It gets attacked by black fly really badly every year. So I spray it after petal fall, if I dont the blossoms all stick together and the fruit yield is poor.

This year the "fruitlet drop" has been huge, with very similar description. The crop this year will be greatly reduced on last year.

I also assume this is due to poor polination due to adverse weather.
I tried manually polinating as well.

But is the poor polination due to reduced insects/bees or damage to the blossom etc?

My plum tree has completely lost all its fruitlets, again I manually polinated, but it snowed on the blossom. There were loads of fruitlets a week ago and now nothing

My apple has faired better, only losing half of its fruitlets.

Stella Cherry tiamaria53 United Kingdom 1 17-05-2009 11:16 PM
Stella Cherry ranger United Kingdom 2 21-04-2009 02:22 PM
"Stella " Cherries. Serendipity United Kingdom 5 09-05-2003 12:08 AM
Rosa "Alister Stella Gray" cross United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 09:56 PM
Stella Cherry in a pot Little Badger United Kingdom 2 25-03-2003 11:32 PM