Old 18-06-2008, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Good weather coming up - guaranteed

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Emery Davis writes:

| We had 2 C last Saturday morning. That's just wrong.

Not really. The latest frost that I remember in Cambridge was
June 20th, and the earliest September 6th. Frost in July and
August is rare in the south of England, France etc., but by no
means unknown. It is quite common in much of Scotland.

Ah, you misunderstand me, Nick. I mean "wrong" as in
"if-there's-a-God-in-heaven-who-cares-about-us-she-should-
be-more-kindly-like."

June 20, eh? That is late. What year, do you know?

-E
Old 18-06-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis writes:

| | We had 2 C last Saturday morning. That's just wrong.
|
| Not really. The latest frost that I remember in Cambridge was
| June 20th, and the earliest September 6th. Frost in July and
| August is rare in the south of England, France etc., but by no
| means unknown. It is quite common in much of Scotland.
|
| Ah, you misunderstand me, Nick. I mean "wrong" as in
| "if-there's-a-God-in-heaven-who-cares-about-us-she-should-
| be-more-kindly-like."
|
| June 20, eh? That is late. What year, do you know?

About 20 years ago, give or take rather a lot. It wasn't much of
one, and few plants suffered significantly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-06-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
[]
We haven't got anything quite that drastic yet but there is absolutely no
doubt that we have an autumnal feel to mornings and evenings. I think we've
had two evenings when we've wanted to take our wine outside and sit
overlooking the garden. We haven't done a real 'bat watch' once yet this
year, though we did see some flying around under the Atlantic cedar when we
did a garden tour a couple of nights ago.

We haven't managed an out of doors dinner yet, only 2 lunches that I can
recall.
Actually I'm not sure I've seen a bat this year, which is certainly
unusual, we normally
have loads.

It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind me.
He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that the
Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

The Romans were smart, and liked their juice!

This was once wine country here as well, our village provided it for the
Bishop of Seez throughout the 17th century. Now we make do with Calvados,
which has charms of its own.

There is a fellow making wine near Caen, and of course the English
industry is
growing in quality. I wonder if the enlargement of the Champagne
appellation will
slow French land purchases in Sussex?

Without taking too big a bite of the bait, I will point out that global
warming has to do
with average temperatures over large areas, particularly with respect to
sea level
changes. There's nothing that implies that our climate in particular
will warm.

Having said this Meteo France predicts that Parisian temperature will
rival those of
Rome by 2070. I do not intend to be here to verify.

-E
Old 18-06-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:07:22 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Have you looked at the Scilly webcams this morning?
http://www.scillyman.co.uk/HTWebcam.html

Ssshhhh! It's horrid here, grey, spotting with rain and windy. Ah well,
soon be Christmas. ;-)
snip

Brrr. The heating was on this morning when I got up, that's how cold
it was!
Is it longest day next week? That is always a depressing day.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Old 18-06-2008, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 10:28*am, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:16:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 18/6/08 07:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind
me.
| He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
| earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that
the
| Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

And they mixed it with honey to make it drinkable :-)

Oh yes, I didn't claim it was palatable. *;-)

The Germans mix their wine with sugar some years.
--

And with antifreeze other years... when the summer is chilly ???

Cat(h) ;-)

Old 18-06-2008, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/6/08 11:47, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:07:22 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

I've found that going on holiday makes it rain.

Have you looked at the Scilly webcams this morning?
http://www.scillyman.co.uk/HTWebcam.html

Ssshhhh! It's horrid here, grey, spotting with rain and windy. Ah well,
soon be Christmas. ;-)
snip

It's gone grey here too.

Misery loves company. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-06-2008, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/6/08 12:28, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Like washing the car to make sure it rains. ;-)

... and don't forget the Glastonbury Festival is the w/e
after next so it will be wet, very wet!

Jennifer

Bound to be - Ascot, Wimbledon, Glastonbury - guaranteed drought breakers!

Old 18-06-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/6/08 11:14, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[]
We haven't got anything quite that drastic yet but there is absolutely no
doubt that we have an autumnal feel to mornings and evenings. I think we've
had two evenings when we've wanted to take our wine outside and sit
overlooking the garden. We haven't done a real 'bat watch' once yet this
year, though we did see some flying around under the Atlantic cedar when we
did a garden tour a couple of nights ago.

We haven't managed an out of doors dinner yet, only 2 lunches that I can
recall.
Actually I'm not sure I've seen a bat this year, which is certainly
unusual, we normally
have loads.

I think it's been too cold most evenings. Which is very bad news for hungry
bats.

It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind me.
He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that the
Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

The Romans were smart, and liked their juice!

I should think that from their pov something had to make it worth their
while to leave sunny Rome!

This was once wine country here as well, our village provided it for the
Bishop of Seez throughout the 17th century. Now we make do with Calvados,
which has charms of its own.

There is a fellow making wine near Caen, and of course the English
industry is
growing in quality. I wonder if the enlargement of the Champagne
appellation will
slow French land purchases in Sussex?

Without taking too big a bite of the bait, I will point out that global
warming has to do
with average temperatures over large areas, particularly with respect to
sea level
changes. There's nothing that implies that our climate in particular
will warm.

I know but Ray does feel that like 'greenness' it's become a bit of an
overdone pc thing and he enjoys his little moan about it!

Having said this Meteo France predicts that Parisian temperature will
rival those of
Rome by 2070. I do not intend to be here to verify.

-E

We'll observe from our fluffy little clouds.

Old 18-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered User

Well, West Scotland on a hill farm - we've set the AGA off again. Midges are horrendous. Baby birds and rabbits are eating all the baby plants, slugs are out in huge numbers (does anyone else think the slugs are more numerous this year?)
I hope you are right about a scorching summer as last year was pretty dire.
Currently sharing garden with - Moles, voles, rabbits, pheasants, sheep, cat, dogs, hare, buzzards, crows, slugs, frogs . . . . .