Old 17-06-2008, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Good weather coming up - guaranteed

We've re-lit the AGA. The summer will now turn out to be a scorcher.......
;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-06-2008, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/6/08 00:44, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 17/6/08 23:52, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:23:27 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We've re-lit the AGA. The summer will now turn out to be a scorcher.......
;-))
There was a ground frost forecast for Friesland last night.

A couple of nights ago we went to a local pub for supper. Coming out around
9-ish, I could *just* see my 'haaaah' in the air. The evenings are much
colder than I would expect now and while the mornings are often sunny, the
air is cold.

We had 2 C last Saturday morning. That's just wrong.

Been down to 7-8 C every other night. This being Normandy we have a Godin,
but we lit it last week.

More than one maple already showing fall colour.

-E

We haven't got anything quite that drastic yet but there is absolutely no
doubt that we have an autumnal feel to mornings and evenings. I think we've
had two evenings when we've wanted to take our wine outside and sit
overlooking the garden. We haven't done a real 'bat watch' once yet this
year, though we did see some flying around under the Atlantic cedar when we
did a garden tour a couple of nights ago.
It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind me.
He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that the
Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

Old 18-06-2008, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis writes:

| We had 2 C last Saturday morning. That's just wrong.

Not really. The latest frost that I remember in Cambridge was
June 20th, and the earliest September 6th. Frost in July and
August is rare in the south of England, France etc., but by no
means unknown. It is quite common in much of Scotland.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-06-2008, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind me.
| He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
| earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that the
| Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

And they mixed it with honey to make it drinkable :-)

Look out for some evil weather in the far north-east of Scotland
in the last week of June - I shall be spending 6 nights out (i.e.
away from everywhere, in a tent). If the weather isn't evil, the
midges will be ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-06-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/6/08 07:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind
me.
| He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
| earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that
the
| Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

And they mixed it with honey to make it drinkable :-)

Oh yes, I didn't claim it was palatable. ;-)

Look out for some evil weather in the far north-east of Scotland
in the last week of June - I shall be spending 6 nights out (i.e.
away from everywhere, in a tent). If the weather isn't evil, the
midges will be ....

What a time to choose....!

Old 18-06-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind me.
He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that the
Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

Heretics must be burnt at the stake

Old 18-06-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Look out for some evil weather in the far north-east of Scotland
| in the last week of June - I shall be spending 6 nights out (i.e.
| away from everywhere, in a tent). If the weather isn't evil, the
| midges will be ....
|
| What a time to choose....!

Well, there isn't a better one :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-06-2008, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/6/08 10:24, in article , "stuart noble"
wrote:

It's all very strange for global warming - as Ray never ceases to remind me.
He gets into Grumpy Old Men mode about global warming, maintaining that
earth temps have fluctuated wildly throughout time and reminding me that the
Romans grew vines for wine making in what is now Yorkshire!

Heretics must be burnt at the stake

The ones supporting the vines, presumably? ;-))