Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default beware parsnips

The message
from K contains these words:
Mike..... writes
Following up to Nick Maclaren

Firstly, it affects only some people, and few people are seriously
affected.

assuming wild and cultivated have the same effect I suspect that isnt
true:-

"http://128.104.239.6/uw_weeds/extension/articles/wildparsnip.htm"

That's a big assumption to make here. The article refers to 'wild
parsnip' which is becoming a noxious weed in Wisconsin. Before jumping
to conclusions about cultivated parsnip, I would want to know the
species concerned (which on a quick skim read didn't seem to be in the
article), and that it was indeed the ancestor of the cultivated parsnip
(wild garlic is not te ancestor of cultivated garlic).

And judging by the results of sowing wild oats...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

I agree that the primary problem with strawberries is pectin (because
they have effectively damn-all), but am not entirely sure what the
problem is with Cydonia. Anyway, jam made from them alone typically
doesn't set properly.

Mine set pretty well. (Molished half a sack of them into jam...)

I have some wild strawberries but it would take rather a lot to make a jar
of jam innit :-)

Ah, I meant half a sack of oblong quinces. Half a sack of strawberries
might make a lot of juice...

BTW, if you put a bottle of whisky into a larger bottle, add some sugar
(not much!) and feed the result with wild strawberries, you get a
delightful liqueur (with no trace of a whisky flavour). When (after
multipples) it tastes right, strain into a really dark bottle (I use old
sherry bottles), or the liquor will lose its deep red colour.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Well, as I said, some of the jam was from the 1950s. The crystals had
around forty years to grow...

And you said that a couple of days after dissolving the crystals in the
m/wave they began to gorm again. I find that hard to believe - that
crystals
large enough to be detected would form after a couple of days.

Did I say how big they had grown to in a couple of days?

whisper

I have a numbered bottle of single-cask-bottling of Linkwood. I'm
saving
it for a special occasion and/or (a) deserving conoisseur(s) innit.

looks round

your place or mine?

Well, bringing it back from Naaaardge on the bus was terrifying enough.

So yours.

Well, I don't want to rish a heart-attack. I might have to have regular
doses of medicine on the way, to reassure myself.

p.s. so good to see that you use butter instead of something produced
by men
in white coats. Why not enhance it with your own produce?

I do, but ATM I haven't got a decent preserving pan. Well, I haven't
got
a preserving pan. I molish my own pickles and things though.

I have a large brass preserving pan going a-begging. I prefer to use a
very
large ss pan for all preserving. it's not as pretty but it was very cheap
and cleans easily - and of course there's no observable reaction between
metal and ingredients.

Hmmm. Linkwood meets preserving pan?

When are you in?

Playing darts tonight. Tomorrow morning, weather permitting, there's a
local lad coming to help get the disordered parts of the garden in some
semblence of order. I'll be in tomorrow afternoon, though. Do you like
working on motorcycles?

/Microwave jam/

Freezer jam is even more efficient...

And excellent for strawberries. Since I can't grow strawberries and won't
buy them any more that's just a memory.

Want some runners? I'm sending - er - someone - note="must make" must
look in my emu box! /note some wild strawb runners when I've got round
to rooting some. Also have some rather tasty tame strawbs. You can get a
plastic oil drum and cut holes in the side, then fill it with soil and
plant strawberries in the holes.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-07-2008, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

/wild strawbs/

We once had some, don't know why I can't grow them these days :-)

Plenty of sun, some soil, and a good deal of water is all they require,
and IME, they will attack the surrounding plot en masse within a year of
planting.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "The Old OakTree" contains these words:

The arms, legs, torso, face, and neck are most vulnerable

Doesn't seem to leave many less vulnerable bits, does it?

Oh, you've got horseflies in your neck of the woods then, too?

Lucky shot, but not unintended. Couldn't reach the thing to swat it...

( http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ked002.jpg )

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Well, as I said, some of the jam was from the 1950s. The crystals had
around forty years to grow...

And you said that a couple of days after dissolving the crystals in the
m/wave they began to gorm again. I find that hard to believe - that
crystals
large enough to be detected would form after a couple of days.

Did I say how big they had grown to in a couple of days?

And you could detect them?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

your place or mine?

Well, bringing it back from Naaaardge on the bus was terrifying enough.

So yours.

Well, I don't want to rish a heart-attack. I might have to have regular
doses of medicine on the way, to reassure myself.

'ang on. You wouldn't hve to travel to yours ...

I have a large brass preserving pan going a-begging. I prefer to use a
very
large ss pan for all preserving. it's not as pretty but it was very
cheap
and cleans easily - and of course there's no observable reaction
between
metal and ingredients.

Hmmm. Linkwood meets preserving pan?

When are you in?

Playing darts tonight. Tomorrow morning, weather permitting, there's a
local lad coming to help get the disordered parts of the garden in some
semblence of order. I'll be in tomorrow afternoon, though. Do you like
working on motorcycles?

No, but I did it for very many years. British I hope?

/Microwave jam/

Freezer jam is even more efficient...

And excellent for strawberries. Since I can't grow strawberries and won't
buy them any more that's just a memory.

Want some runners? I'm sending - er - someone - note="must make" must
look in my emu box! /note some wild strawb runners when I've got round
to rooting some. Also have some rather tasty tame strawbs. You can get a
plastic oil drum and cut holes in the side, then fill it with soil and
plant strawberries in the holes.

Believe me I've tried all sorts of ways with strawberries.

I've met my match.

Sometimes one has to admit that one can't control the Earth. Even my little
bit of it.

Mary

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

/wild strawbs/

We once had some, don't know why I can't grow them these days :-)

Plenty of sun, some soil, and a good deal of water is all they require,
and IME, they will attack the surrounding plot en masse within a year of
planting.

Wonder if the hens have anything to do with it ...

Mary

Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "The Old OakTree" contains these words:

The arms, legs, torso, face, and neck are most vulnerable

Doesn't seem to leave many less vulnerable bits, does it?

Oh, you've got horseflies in your neck of the woods then, too?

Lucky shot, but not unintended. Couldn't reach the thing to swat it...

( http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ked002.jpg )

That's style :-)

Glad it wasn't my leg though ...

Mary

Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Well, as I said, some of the jam was from the 1950s. The crystals had
around forty years to grow...

And you said that a couple of days after dissolving the crystals in the
m/wave they began to gorm again. I find that hard to believe - that
crystals
large enough to be detected would form after a couple of days.

Did I say how big they had grown to in a couple of days?

And you could detect them?

Like a beach picnic...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

your place or mine?

Well, bringing it back from Naaaardge on the bus was terrifying enough.

So yours.

Well, I don't want to rish a heart-attack. I might have to have regular
doses of medicine on the way, to reassure myself.

'ang on. You wouldn't hve to travel to yours ...

looks round

Oh, that's right. I seem to be in.

/looks

/snip/

Do you like
working on motorcycles?

No, but I did it for very many years. British I hope?

No. Nipponese. I also have a Krautish one, and a lot of British bits,
but the latter are in store.

/Microwave jam/

Freezer jam is even more efficient...

And excellent for strawberries. Since I can't grow strawberries and won't
buy them any more that's just a memory.

Want some runners? I'm sending - er - someone - note="must make" must
look in my emu box! /note some wild strawb runners when I've got round
to rooting some. Also have some rather tasty tame strawbs. You can get a
plastic oil drum and cut holes in the side, then fill it with soil and
plant strawberries in the holes.

Believe me I've tried all sorts of ways with strawberries.

Oo-er!

I've met my match.

I've just acquired (SFP)¹ two plastic waterbutts - being thrown out from
two separate addresses! One of them was 'no good' because it had a hole
for a tap at the bottom!

Sometimes one has to admit that one can't control the Earth. Even my little
bit of it.

I have that promble TAAAW.

¹Sheddi Favourite Price

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

/wild strawbs/

We once had some, don't know why I can't grow them these days :-)

Plenty of sun, some soil, and a good deal of water is all they require,
and IME, they will attack the surrounding plot en masse within a year of
planting.

Wonder if the hens have anything to do with it ...

Oooooo, I doubt it...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mine set pretty well. (Molished half a sack of them into jam...)

I have some wild strawberries but it would take rather a lot to make a
jar
of jam innit :-)

Ah, I meant half a sack of oblong quinces. Half a sack of strawberries
might make a lot of juice...

BTW, if you put a bottle of whisky into a larger bottle, add some sugar
(not much!) and feed the result with wild strawberries, you get a
delightful liqueur (with no trace of a whisky flavour). When (after
multipples) it tastes right, strain into a really dark bottle (I use old
sherry bottles), or the liquor will lose its deep red colour.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

That sounds very nice Rusty, must give it a go :-)

kate

Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...

Mine set pretty well. (Molished half a sack of them into jam...)

I have some wild strawberries but it would take rather a lot to make a
jar
of jam innit :-)

Ah, I meant half a sack of oblong quinces. Half a sack of strawberries
might make a lot of juice...

BTW, if you put a bottle of whisky into a larger bottle, add some sugar
(not much!) and feed the result with wild strawberries, you get a
delightful liqueur (with no trace of a whisky flavour). When (after
multipples) it tastes right, strain into a really dark bottle (I use old
sherry bottles), or the liquor will lose its deep red colour.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

That sounds very nice Rusty, must give it a go :-)

He's in right now ...

Mary

parsnips skeletonized simy1 Edible Gardening 3 17-07-2005 04:59 PM
Parsnips shazzbat United Kingdom 5 26-02-2004 08:55 PM
Bitter Parsnips Charles Drown United Kingdom 22 13-02-2004 02:51 PM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 2 22-07-2003 04:11 AM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 0 21-07-2003 02:55 AM