Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oleander

I've seen quite a lot of Oleander growing in Baden-Baden, Germany and
Seville, Spain and they seem to thrive. Two extremes I'd say during the
Winter/Summer.

Any advice for growing them in this country?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Saxman wrote:
I've seen quite a lot of Oleander growing in Baden-Baden, Germany and
Seville, Spain and they seem to thrive. Two extremes I'd say during
the Winter/Summer.

Any advice for growing them in this country?

I've seen Oleander left growing outside in pots in West Sussex with no
protection over winter, and surviving quite well. Of course, there may well
be different cultivars about with differing resistance to cold.

Might help if you could obtain cuttings from the Baden-Baden plants, root
them, and grow them on.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman View Post
I've seen quite a lot of Oleander growing in Baden-Baden, Germany and
Seville, Spain and they seem to thrive. Two extremes I'd say during the
Winter/Summer.

Any advice for growing them in this country?
They hate cold wet weather, so ours is in a pot that goes out in the summer and comes into the conservatory in the winter.

Beware - they are one of the most poisonous plants. All parts are highly toxic.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beccabunga wrote:

Beware - they are one of the most poisonous plants. All parts are
highly toxic.

I'm surprised they used for public display in such quantities then?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 4, 9:15 am, Sacha wrote:
On 4/7/08 07:08, in article ,

"Saxman" wrote:
beccabunga wrote:

Beware - they are one of the most poisonous plants. All parts are
highly toxic.

I'm surprised they used for public display in such quantities then?

In Med. Countries they're used on the meridian of highways. I suppose they
either don't know or don't care. Of course they might not expect motorists
to hop out and chew a leaf or three. ;-) Our local council planted Ricinus
on a roundabout not far from here. IME they will live and flower outdoors
in warmer spots in UK but they don't flower as well as they do in places
with longer, hotter summers.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Do you remember you posted a pic for me last Summer of the Oleander in
a pot that the villagers gave us? I brought it into the barn for the
Winter and kept it almost dry. Now it's back outside lush and green
with flower buds and it's put on new growth, I will post a pic when it
is in flower.

Judith
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

beccabunga wrote:

Beware - they are one of the most poisonous plants. All parts are
highly toxic.

I'm surprised they used for public display in such quantities then?
You will find the countries on the continent are so stupidly nanny-state like as the UK. Their attitude is that if you eat something without knowing what it is then you're a pillock. :-) And quite right too
Old 04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
You will find the countries on the continent are so stupidly nanny-state like as the UK. Their attitude is that if you eat something without knowing what it is then you're a pillock. :-) And quite right too
Also, in its native countries people are very well aware of its dangers - on the whole.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beccabunga wrote:
Granity;801794 Wrote:
You will find the countries on the continent are so stupidly nanny-state
like as the UK. Their attitude is that if you eat something without
knowing what it is then you're a pillock. :-) And quite right too

Also, in its native countries people are very well aware of its dangers
- on the whole.

Is that the thing that grows everywhere in Greece? Almost as prolific as
Bougainvillea and comes in white and pink IIRC

Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
stuart noble writes:

| Is that the thing that grows everywhere in Greece? Almost as prolific as
| Bougainvillea and comes in white and pink IIRC

Yup. It kills the occasional tourist who uses it for making kebab
skewers for the barbeque, but ignorant tourists are a dime a dozen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/7/08 13:43, in article , "stuart
noble" wrote:

beccabunga wrote:
Granity;801794 Wrote:
You will find the countries on the continent are so stupidly nanny-state
like as the UK. Their attitude is that if you eat something without
knowing what it is then you're a pillock. :-) And quite right too

Also, in its native countries people are very well aware of its dangers
- on the whole.

Is that the thing that grows everywhere in Greece? Almost as prolific as
Bougainvillea and comes in white and pink IIRC

Sounds like it. It's very pretty, especially when seen in pots on a terrace
or in great masses in banks. I love it but we don't even try to grow it in
our garden. We have friends with them in seaside locations and they do
pretty well.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Saxman writes
beccabunga wrote:

Beware - they are one of the most poisonous plants. All parts are
highly toxic.

I'm surprised they used for public display in such quantities then?

As others have said, locals are very aware of their toxicity. And they
are ideally suited for their purpose, which is to provide shade for
people travelling along the road - lots of dense growth in summer and an
ability to tolerate a fairly hostile growing environment.
Decorativeness is a bonus.
--
Kay
Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/7/08 15:46, in article , "K"
wrote:

Saxman writes
beccabunga wrote:

Beware - they are one of the most poisonous plants. All parts are
highly toxic.

I'm surprised they used for public display in such quantities then?

As others have said, locals are very aware of their toxicity. And they
are ideally suited for their purpose, which is to provide shade for
people travelling along the road - lots of dense growth in summer and an
ability to tolerate a fairly hostile growing environment.
Decorativeness is a bonus.

The other factor is that a lot of Med inhabitants still take food from the
wild and know what is and isn't safe. On the whole, that isn't something we
seem to do much in this country any more.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 4/7/08 15:46, in article , "K"
wrote:

Saxman writes
beccabunga wrote:

Beware - they are one of the most poisonous plants. All parts are
highly toxic.
I'm surprised they used for public display in such quantities then?

As others have said, locals are very aware of their toxicity. And they
are ideally suited for their purpose, which is to provide shade for
people travelling along the road - lots of dense growth in summer and an
ability to tolerate a fairly hostile growing environment.
Decorativeness is a bonus.

The other factor is that a lot of Med inhabitants still take food from the
wild and know what is and isn't safe. On the whole, that isn't something we
seem to do much in this country any more.

Last year when I was picking blackberries in the local park, a schoolboy
asked me what I was collecting. Sad isn't it? A true taste delight that,
literally, money can't buy.

Oleander - How Poisonous? David Hare-Scott Gardening 14 06-05-2003 11:20 AM
Oleander Big Wave Lawns 0 28-04-2003 08:32 PM
Oleander yellow aphids bentcajungirl Lawns 1 28-04-2003 05:56 AM
Red Oleander Seeds Angela Coffey Gardening 2 26-04-2003 05:08 PM
Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 07:03 PM