Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse Manure - Problems

On 12 Jul, 13:32, wrote:
I know what you are saying, but It might be more a case of fields
growing hay for winter use being treated with these hormones rather
than actual grazing pastures, I could be wrong though.

You had me thinking at least, and I've found that a field wouldn't
have needed herbicide if a) it had been sowed as part of a crop
rotation, say after deep rooted crop to surpress weeds, b) being
followed by grazing and then sowed with grass clover leys - both are
used in organic farming. Perhaps the lesson there, in the case you
describe, is not to use manure in mid winter/spring when the horses
are eating the 'poisoned' hay early in the winter. So sad to have to
come to this really. I use manure only in the autumn. Though I've used
a new farm last year and we got rather suprised with tons of sawdust
mixed pooh. It didn't do any harm, so far, but didn't look good on the
plot. Orange coloured beds is a strange sight ;o)
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 11 Jul, 21:34, "Cerumen" wrote:
Correct composting at a high temperature should kill all the weed seeds.
I have a feeling the spores in horse manure might be an urban scare
legend
or refer to a mould spore such as Aspergillus found on rotting plant
material.

It's nothing to do with weed seed, it's the various fungus that grow
in compost/straw/hay when it is damp but not wet enough to rot down.
hence things like Farmers Lung etc.

I thought that was what I said above?

--
Chris