Old 19-07-2008, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotments

On Jul 19, 10:40 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 19/7/08 18:03, in article , "Pete
C" wrote:

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)
Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.
I'm single, so I think a lottie would be too big for my needs. I'm
trying to find someone to share.............if I can get one!

Depends on the rules of your allotment group but if you're allowed to,
perhaps you can sell what you don't use yourself, or you could give
it to neighbours and so forth.....

I've been thinking along those lines. Circulate neighbours with what I'm
growing. Orders in Friday, delivered fresh Saturday. LOL

--
Pete C
London UK

'ave you got any asparagus mate? I feel like some with butter and a
glass of bubbly - in the bath!

Judith
Old 19-07-2008, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ed wrote:
On 19/07/08 17:00, Pete C wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta

Pete,

On my allotment , the sizes of plots are all different. The tenancy
now is to break standard sized plots up into halves when they become
vacant because of the waiting list.

I have a half plot. In English money, this is about 35 ft x 45 ft.

Ed

My council seem to do 250 and 125 sqm plots. Depends what if anything is
available.
Half would do me fine.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 19-07-2008, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 19, 10:29 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:

snippy Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith

Why thank you young lady.
Long time no speak.
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm still here sweetie, how are you?

Judith

Best not go OT..........
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 19-07-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 11:10 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 19, 10:29 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:

snippy Your garden is gorgeous Pete, I love your water feature.

Judith

Why thank you young lady.
Long time no speak.
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm still here sweetie, how are you?

Judith

Best not go OT..........
--
Pete C
London UK

o.k. I hope everything is fine. with you and Lewis.

Judith
Old 19-07-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 19, 10:40 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 19/7/08 18:03, in article ,
"Pete C" wrote:

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

I'll go run it

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 20-07-2008, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 11:25 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 19, 10:40 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 19/7/08 18:03, in article ,
"Pete C" wrote:

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

lol

Judith
Old 20-07-2008, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 11:33 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 19/7/08 22:40, in article , "Pete C"

C" wrote:

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet
please. Ta

Hullo - lotties are usually 10 rods, for the oldest ones, which is
10mx25m - 250sqm. What are you cooking, new plots? ;o)
Will soon need a mortgage to buy veg! And supermarket stuff is cr*p.
I'm single, so I think a lottie would be too big for my needs. I'm
trying to find someone to share.............if I can get one!

Depends on the rules of your allotment group but if you're allowed to,
perhaps you can sell what you don't use yourself, or you could give
it to neighbours and so forth.....

I've been thinking along those lines. Circulate neighbours with what I'm
growing. Orders in Friday, delivered fresh Saturday. LOL

Sounds mutually beneficial to me.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

When we lived in the City, many years ago, I would have been very
happy to buy from anyone who grew their own veg.

Judith
Old 20-07-2008, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/7/08 10:42, in article
, "Judith in

C" wrote:

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

Riverford Farm and its associates send out something like 35,000 boxes of
organic veg a week. An allotment growing food organically must have a ready
market among the neighbours who don't have allotments!

Old 20-07-2008, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jul, 19:21, "Pete C" wrote:
wrote:
Hehe........I love your enthusiasm! I've mailed in an enquiry form to my
local council. Picked the 5 closest sites............will see what happens.
My garden is tiny, and is now half pond. I've grown carrots, peas, various
beans onions etc in the past. Fav was sweetcorn, yum.
If I manage to get one, you/this group might regret you pushing me, cos the
question list will be looooong!

Can't wait! Only this morning we were scratching our heads looking at
the early, too early, profusion of red currants, black currants and
even the blackberries - the devil will have to be early to **** on
these this year LOL!!! With so much rain everything has shot up too
fast, the black currants are as fat as cherries but not really tasty
at all. We will be asking you questions too, I'm sure!

Old 20-07-2008, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 20, 1:22 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 20/7/08 10:42, in article
,
"Judith in France" wrote:

On Jul 19, 11:33 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 19/7/08 22:40, in article ,
"Pete C"

wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 19/7/08 18:03, in article ,
"Pete C" wrote:

wrote:
On 19 Jul, 17:00, "Pete C" wrote:
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in
feet please. Ta

snippy

Riverford Farm and its associates send out something like 35,000
boxes of organic veg a week. An allotment growing food organically
must have a ready market among the neighbours who don't have
allotments!

Ahh, organic..........TBH, I hadn't thought of that. Just what is not
permitted?
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm afraid I am not too organic, mea culpa although I am trying hard
to be. I wouldn't buy meat, eggs or poultry unless I know where they
come from and they have to be free range. I have been messing around
with soap sprays instead of chemicals but for the potatoes we have to
use a spray as the Colorado beetle is endemic here and without
spraying, twice, we would not get a crop. I hate the spray as it says
do not eat for x days, even I have worked out that is bad - what's an
alternative?

Judith
Old 20-07-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Jul, 13:28, Judith in France
wrote:
I'm afraid I am not too organic, mea culpa although I am trying hard
to be. *I wouldn't buy meat, eggs or poultry unless I know where they
come from and they have to be free range. *I have been messing around
with soap sprays instead of chemicals but for the potatoes we have to
use a spray as the Colorado beetle is endemic here and without
spraying, twice, we would not get a crop. *I hate the spray as it says
do not eat for x days, even I have worked out that is bad *- what's an
alternative?

Being organic is not spraying weely neely with chemicals on anything
that's moving. Never. You've said on the allotment thread that you've
sprayed quote 'some awful clinging stuff climbing up some bushes, I
put a tray behind it to protect the foliage and let it have all of one
barrel, hopefully it will die off soon'.

The alternative would be to stop spraying - find out what the
'clinging stuff' is, find out what 'some bushes' is, and then you'll
will understand why some creatures are climbing and eating your crops
and remedy in an organic responsible way. What did the 'awful clinging
stuff' looked like?

As for the colorado beetle - unless you're feeding thousands and
exporting tons of food to europe and the world, you shouldn't use
anything to kill it in your garden. You simply should purchase your
spuds which have been growing organically in some fields which doesn't
use chemicals and leave the spraying of the colorado beetle to large
farmers who understand how to control it, in a safe way. Having said
that, regulations are not entirely maintained everywhere - but I'd
like to think we're getting there. I'm not also entirely against
chemicals - I can't when it comes to our livelihoods. It would be
silly to think we can spray 500 acres with washing up liquid.

But when it comes to our allotments, our gardens, I really don't see
it to be sensible at all.