Old 26-07-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Watering question

I have a one year old Oleander, about 1 metre and a half high in a
huge pot. It is flowering right now. How often do I need to water
it. Sacha has seen the size of the urn/pot as as she is more au fait
with stuff can probably explain better than I. Help please?

Judith
Old 26-07-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
I have a one year old Oleander, about 1 metre and a half high in a
huge pot. It is flowering right now. How often do I need to water
it. Sacha has seen the size of the urn/pot as as she is more au fait
with stuff can probably explain better than I. Help please?

Judith

You do know that it is an extremely toxic plant?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-07-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I have a one year old Oleander, about 1 metre and a half high in a
huge pot. It is flowering right now. How often do I need to water
it. Sacha has seen the size of the urn/pot as as she is more au fait
with stuff can probably explain better than I. Help please?

Judith

You do know that it is an extremely toxic plant?
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm not going to eat it sweetie!!!!! Wot bout watering then?????

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I have a one year old Oleander, about 1 metre and a half high in a
huge pot. It is flowering right now. How often do I need to water
it. Sacha has seen the size of the urn/pot as as she is more au
fait with stuff can probably explain better than I. Help please?

Judith

You do know that it is an extremely toxic plant?
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm not going to eat it sweetie!!!!! Wot bout watering then?????

Judith

Not fussy.....drout tolerant.
And wash your hands.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-07-2008, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 12:08 am, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I have a one year old Oleander, about 1 metre and a half high in a
huge pot. It is flowering right now. How often do I need to water
it. Sacha has seen the size of the urn/pot as as she is more au
fait with stuff can probably explain better than I. Help please?

Judith

You do know that it is an extremely toxic plant?
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm not going to eat it sweetie!!!!! Wot bout watering then?????

Judith

Not fussy.....drout tolerant.
And wash your hands.
--
Pete C
London UK

lol my hands are quite safe.

Judith

Old 27-07-2008, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 09:20, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:54:42 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I have a one year old Oleander, about 1 metre and a half high in a
huge pot. It is flowering right now. How often do I need to water
it. Sacha has seen the size of the urn/pot as as she is more au fait
with stuff can probably explain better than I. Help please?

Judith

You do know that it is an extremely toxic plant?
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm not going to eat it sweetie!!!!! Wot bout watering then?????

When my son was born, we were given a brochure listing common house and garden
plants that might poison small children. It's amazing any child survives
childhood.

More plants are poisonous than are not. Sometimes I think that applies to
children too...... ;-)) The only plant Ray will not sell is rue.

It rained last night. Now it is stifling hot, windless and a 100% humidity
AND
sunny. 22C here ATM. On the beach it is 20C and misty.
http://www.noordwijk.info/noordwijk/...ms/livecam.asp

Very hot beautiful day here. We had the most extraordinary sky last night
but it lasted for mere minutes. There was a lot of that ruffled, fluffy
cloud and it was shot through with every shade of pink. I've never seen
anything quite so vivid round here. But by the time we walked to the other
end of the car park it had disappeared entirely.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-07-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 09:43, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

Poinsettia was the one that they recommended getting rid of immediately if you
have small children in the house.

Seems to be based on an urban myth
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

I've had poinsettias in the house every Christmas for more than 35 years and
my eldest is now 32! Why people persist in spreading these myths, heaven
knows.

snip

Old 27-07-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 12:44 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/08 23:54, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I have a one year old Oleander, about 1 metre and a half high in a
huge pot. It is flowering right now. How often do I need to water
it. Sacha has seen the size of the urn/pot as as she is more au fait
with stuff can probably explain better than I. Help please?

Judith

You do know that it is an extremely toxic plant?
--
Pete C
London UK

I'm not going to eat it sweetie!!!!! Wot bout watering then?????

Judith

I'd say 'drench and drain well in really hot weather', Judith. Basically,
keep an eye on it but while I've never grown it in your conditions, I think
you need to find a balance between drowning it and letting it dry right out
to the point of wilting. It grows in the meridian of roads in e.g. Greece
and must be about as harshly treated as possible in such locations. But pot
culture is different so I think a good drink but good drainage is the way to
go. On cooler, cloudier days, leave it alone. This isn't geared to your
sort of climate but might help http://www.oleander.org/culture.html

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Thanks Sacha, it looks superb, I will try and post a pic, you will
remember that I posted one last year when it was given to me by the
villagers as a welcome gift when I came here to live full time.

Judith

Old 27-07-2008, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

It's also amazing that we parents survive their childhood, I started
turning grey when I had my first child, now that I have grandchildren
I will have to resort to L'Oreal (because I'm worth it).

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 11:02 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:58:29 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

The older they get the bigger the problems. ((((
--

Martin

Don't I know it, unfortunately we are no longer in charge and can't
tell them what they should do, only advise and then they don't always
listen!!!! Deja vu, I'm sure I just heard my Father's voice saying
that lol

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 10:56, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 27, 12:44 am, Sacha wrote:

snip
This isn't geared to your
sort of climate but might help
http://www.oleander.org/culture.html

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Thanks Sacha, it looks superb, I will try and post a pic, you will
remember that I posted one last year when it was given to me by the
villagers as a welcome gift when I came here to live full time.

Judith

I do remember - lovely present and I can certainly see why you're so keen to
hold onto it.

Old 27-07-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 11:21 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 03:08:36 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

and the old guy I worked with at the time we had our first child who told me "my
kids are 40 and the problems get worse every year". I'm reaching the point where
I would rather not know about their latest problems.
--

Martin

That makes two of us, we bring up our children to be independent
adults, we let them go, I cried when both of our went to University.
Now if the phone goes late evening I think please don't let it be
another problem. It's not that they always bring their problems big
or small to us, it's just that if I have a problem, I wouldn't have
worried my late Father with it, I would deal with it myself.

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 11:08, in article
, "Judith

wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:39 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

I loved it when my daughter who had a baby a few months ago told me she
understands me better now. I pointed out that I had *always* understood
her. ;-))

watering question kate Gardening 6 23-04-2006 08:14 PM
watering question Boots Crofoot Lawns 10 11-09-2003 06:42 PM
Watering question Lattés Edible Gardening 7 25-07-2003 06:12 PM
A garden watering question John_john Gardening 3 04-04-2003 11:44 AM
A garden watering question John_john Gardening 0 04-04-2003 11:32 AM