Old 27-07-2008, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cactus flower

This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way, because
there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But since it puts out
only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning flower, I thought I'd share
it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th004.jpg

Steve

Old 27-07-2008, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...20stuff%20we%2...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...20stuff%20we%2...

Steve

Steve, it is fabulous, thank you for sharing it, how old is it?

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But
since it puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning
flower, I thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th004.jpg

Steve

I don't have the patience to grow cacti. That's brilliant. Bet you're
tickled pink!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-07-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But
since it puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning
flower, I thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th004.jpg

Steve

I don't have the patience to grow cacti. That's brilliant. Bet you're
tickled pink!
--

Oh, we are. But it's not so much patience as neglect. It sits in a corner of
the greenhouse and gets watered if I remember. We were given it about 4

Steve

Old 28-07-2008, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message
This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But since it
puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning flower, I
thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th004.jpg

Steve

Excellent bloom! I've never succeeded in persuading a cactus to flower,
despite my best neglect techniques. You make me want to try again. Thanks
for sharing it.

Spider

Old 28-07-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:10:24 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But
since it puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning
flower, I thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th004.jpg

Steve

Looks like an echinopsis, although there are also many echinopsis
hybrids. I have one looking superficially identical. Flowers about 6
inches long, pale pink to white, last a day, and have a delicate
perfume.

Spot on. Probably one of the Abbey Brook or Hollygate hybrids. Reliable
and easy to flower - just keep it cold and dry from September to March.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 28-07-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Spider writes

"shazzbat" wrote in message
This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But since it
puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning flower, I
thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...stuff%20we%20g
rew/July20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...stuff%20we%20g
rew/July20th004.jpg

Excellent bloom! I've never succeeded in persuading a cactus to flower,
despite my best neglect techniques. You make me want to try again. Thanks
for sharing it.

Depends on the species as to whether it's easy to flower. As a general
rule (with lots of exceptions), globular ones flower more readily than
columnar ones. Lots of light helps. And occasional tomato fertiliser.
--
Kay
Old 29-07-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Spider

In article ,
Spider wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message
This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But since
it puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning flower, I
thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th004.jpg

Steve

Excellent bloom! I've never succeeded in persuading a cactus to flower,
despite my best neglect techniques. You make me want to try again. Thanks
for sharing it.

Some cacti need to be quite old before they flower, so the first hint to
growing flowering cacti is "Buy a plant that is flowering". If it is
flowering when you buy it then there is every chance that it will flower next
year, given reasonable care.

Centrally heated houses are generally too warm for cacti in Winter. They need
to be cool and dry. Some cacti can stand a bit of frost. My collection spends
the Winter in a greenhouse which is just heated enough to keep out the frost.

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 31-07-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Rye" wrote in message

Some cacti need to be quite old before they flower, so the first hint to
growing flowering cacti is "Buy a plant that is flowering". If it is
flowering when you buy it then there is every chance that it will flower
next
year, given reasonable care.

Centrally heated houses are generally too warm for cacti in Winter. They
need
to be cool and dry. Some cacti can stand a bit of frost. My collection
spends
the Winter in a greenhouse which is just heated enough to keep out the
frost.

John

Yes they give a super display altogether - amazing as the flower only lasts
for a day.

Four separate plants performing here earlier this year.

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...2008006jpg.jpg

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 31-07-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Spider writes

"shazzbat" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Kay. The one I tried *was* columnar, so I shall try a globular one
next. My columnar cacti was mature (which I thought would help) and I had
tried tomato fertiliser at least once before I gave up. With the globular
one I shall try crossing my fingers as well!

Spider

Old 31-07-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Rye" wrote in message
Hello Spider

In article ,
Spider wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, John. I'll take your advice (and add it to Kay's!) and buy a
globular flowering cacti next time. My non-flowering cacti was kept in the
downstairs hallway which, although heated, was not nearly as warm as a
living room. I now have a (cold-in-winter/hot-in-summer) garden room, so
perhaps I'll over-winter my new cacti there - with a frost-stat of course!

Spider

Old 31-07-2008, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"John Rye" wrote in message

[...]

That's just showing off! ......... and this is just jealousy! :~)

Spider

Old 31-07-2008, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Spider writes
Thanks, John. I'll take your advice (and add it to Kay's!) and buy a
globular flowering cacti next time. My non-flowering cacti was kept in
the downstairs hallway which, although heated, was not nearly as warm
as a living room. I now have a (cold-in-winter/hot-in-summer) garden
room, so perhaps I'll over-winter my new cacti there - with a
frost-stat of course!

Important thing is to keep it bone dry over winter if you're keeping it
in the garden room. In Yorkshire, I stop watering mine at the start of
September and don't start again until May.

There isn't really enough light in winter, so it'll be happier in a
dormant state in a cold (but not below freezing) garden room than in a
warm centrally heated house where it'll be trying to grow.
--
Kay
Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Spider writes
Thanks, John. I'll take your advice (and add it to Kay's!) and buy a
globular flowering cacti next time. My non-flowering cacti was kept in
the downstairs hallway which, although heated, was not nearly as warm as a
living room. I now have a (cold-in-winter/hot-in-summer) garden room, so
perhaps I'll over-winter my new cacti there - with a frost-stat of course!

Important thing is to keep it bone dry over winter if you're keeping it in
the garden room. In Yorkshire, I stop watering mine at the start of
September and don't start again until May.

There isn't really enough light in winter, so it'll be happier in a
dormant state in a cold (but not below freezing) garden room than in a
warm centrally heated house where it'll be trying to grow.
--
Kay

Thanks, Kay, that really helps. Now all I need is the plant. Mmm..I feel a
GC visit coming on.

Spider

Old 06-08-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Spider writes
[...]

I could do you an old echinops at a very reasonable price.
Are you anywhere near ?
BTW they are about to flower again !

Regards
Pete