Old 29-07-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Learned something new today

which may be of interest to some of you.

I have got my cabbages growing well and covered
with a net to keep pests off, (mainly Pigeons)

This morning I noticed a lot of white butterflies had got
in, not wanting said cabbages to be covered in caterpillars
I filled my spay bottle with soapy water (Fairy liquid) and
sprayed over the cabbages, hoping this would make them
less attractive for them and also directing the spray at
the butterflies whenever possible.

A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

Old 29-07-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 29, 5:05 pm, "Wally" wrote:
which may be of interest to some of you.

I have got my cabbages growing well and covered
with a net to keep pests off, (mainly Pigeons)

This morning I noticed a lot of white butterflies had got
in, not wanting said cabbages to be covered in caterpillars
I filled my spay bottle with soapy water (Fairy liquid) and
sprayed over the cabbages, hoping this would make them
less attractive for them and also directing the spray at
the butterflies whenever possible.

A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

What dilution did you use Wally?

Judith
Old 29-07-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 29/07/08 17:05, Wally wrote:
which may be of interest to some of you.

I have got my cabbages growing well and covered
with a net to keep pests off, (mainly Pigeons)

This morning I noticed a lot of white butterflies had got
in, not wanting said cabbages to be covered in caterpillars
I filled my spay bottle with soapy water (Fairy liquid) and
sprayed over the cabbages, hoping this would make them
less attractive for them and also directing the spray at
the butterflies whenever possible.

A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

Why u not use butterfly netting?

Ed

Old 29-07-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

What dilution did you use Wally?

Judith

Not all that strong Judith, I didn't measure it but my spray bottle
is two litre and I added about an egg cup full of soap.

Wally

Old 29-07-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AriesVal wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:05:01 +0100, Wally wrote:

which may be of interest to some of you.

I have got my cabbages growing well and covered
with a net to keep pests off, (mainly Pigeons)

This morning I noticed a lot of white butterflies had got
in, not wanting said cabbages to be covered in caterpillars
I filled my spay bottle with soapy water (Fairy liquid) and
sprayed over the cabbages, hoping this would make them
less attractive for them and also directing the spray at
the butterflies whenever possible.

A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

sounds good to me Wally - I hate those cabbage whites

But we mustn't kill flutterbyes
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 29-07-2008, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

Why u not use butterfly netting?

Ed

The mesh of the net is small enough to keep them out
but the little b****8 will always find a way in, usually
at a join where I have missed a bit.

Wally

Old 29-07-2008, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

sounds good to me Wally - I hate those cabbage whites

But we mustn't kill flutterbyes
--
Pete C
London UK

And I keep telling them they mustn't lay eggs on
my cabbages, but do the listen????
anyway I didn't kill them, they committed suicide by
getting too close to me. )

Wally

Old 29-07-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote:

Why u not use butterfly netting?

but the little b****8 will always find a way in, usually
at a join where I have missed a bit.

Wally

I have two different makes of 'butterfly netting', and I've watched the
little b***'s (probably the 'small whites') squeeze their way even through
the smaller diameter mesh ', certainly not through any gaps - they seem to
be able to fold their wings and squash through. Maybe a case for trading
standards/trade descriptions ?? Just a thought ;)

Ros

Old 30-07-2008, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 29/07/08 20:33, Ros Butt wrote:
"Wally" wrote:

Why u not use butterfly netting?

but the little b****8 will always find a way in, usually
at a join where I have missed a bit.

Wally

I have two different makes of 'butterfly netting', and I've watched the
little b***'s (probably the 'small whites') squeeze their way even through
the smaller diameter mesh ', certainly not through any gaps - they seem to
be able to fold their wings and squash through. Maybe a case for trading
standards/trade descriptions ?? Just a thought ;)

Ros

Then you need a smaller mesh size. Probably 9mm or less.

Ed
Old 30-07-2008, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote:
And I keep telling them they mustn't lay eggs on
my cabbages, but do the listen????
anyway I didn't kill them, they committed suicide by
getting too close to me. )

Rather than use any chemicals, my late father and I used to
spend many a happy hour on our allotment rubbing the
butterfly eggs from the cabbage leaves with thumb and forefinger.
Those we missed soon turned into caterpillars which also had
to be picked off. As we grew a wide range of Brassicas, for us,
netting was out of the question. Happy days indeed.

MD

Old 30-07-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
AriesVal wrote:
sounds good to me Wally - I hate those cabbage whites

But we mustn't kill flutterbyes

Precisely!

I just go round every morning and squish any eggs I find and if any do
manage to hatch into caterpillars they get fed to the birds ;-)
Old 30-07-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wally wrote:

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Would this work on those dreaded whitefly?

My brassicas are infested with them

Every time I turn over the leaves in search of butterfly eggs, a cloud
of white "ash" descends upon me GRRR
Old 30-07-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sandy" wrote in message
Wally wrote:

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Would this work on those dreaded whitefly?

My brassicas are infested with them

Every time I turn over the leaves in search of butterfly eggs, a cloud of
white "ash" descends upon me GRRR

Give it a try Sandy, you've got nothing to lose, last year it got rid
of whitefly on my Brussels sprouts and also gets rid of blackfly on beans.

BTW, I've been on the allotment this morning and no butterflies on
the greens, don't know if its the taste or the smell of soap but the
little sods don't like it.

Wally

Old 30-07-2008, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sandy
writes
Wally wrote:
Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Would this work on those dreaded whitefly?

My brassicas are infested with them

Every time I turn over the leaves in search of butterfly eggs, a cloud
of white "ash" descends upon me GRRR

I only ever use dilute fairy liquid for any spraying, aphids or
whatever.
--
Gordon H
Old 30-07-2008, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 29, 6:03 pm, "Wally" wrote:
A short time later I saw that the b/flies had got out and
flown off but the ones that I hit with the spray where
laying on the ground dead.

Fairy liquid is fast becoming my best friend.

Wally

What dilution did you use Wally?

Judith

Not

all that strong Judith, I didn't measure it but my spray bottle
is two litre and I added about an egg cup full of soap.

Wally

Thanks Wally I was just seeking approval that my concentration was
o.k. We use about the same strength.

Judith

What I learned at the APS meeting: oak wilt Nina Bonsai 0 04-08-2005 01:39 PM
it irrigated, you jumped, yet Rudy never badly learned above the planet Isabelle United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 01:18 PM
Hard lesson learned :( Chad Ponds 10 08-11-2003 05:02 AM
Lessons learned. Sheepkeeper Orchids 5 31-10-2003 09:02 PM
with all the good stuff I learned on here I rebuilt our old pond bighead Ponds 19 10-06-2003 03:32 PM