Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Impatiens problem

Most of my buzzy lizzies are dying with something that looks similar
to the dampng off disease you can get in young plants.

The plants are from several different sources and are spread around
the garden (which is a decent size front and back) and also in the
consevatory.

From fist signs it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the plants to rot back to
the ground.

Any idea what this is and how it may be treated or, just in case,
prevented next year?
About 150 out of around 300 plants are affected at present but the
disease seems to progress steadily everywhere.
I do not know if it is that significant but the white plants (so far)
have remianed unaffected - but htere are only about 20 white ones in
total.

Other bedding plants - french marigolds, alyssum, lobelia, begonias
petunias, are (so far) unaffected.

Any help greatly appreciated

Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:42:44 -0700 (PDT), ROB L
wrote:

Most of my buzzy lizzies are dying with something that looks similar
to the dampng off disease you can get in young plants.

The plants are from several different sources and are spread around
the garden (which is a decent size front and back) and also in the
consevatory.

From fist signs it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the plants to rot back to
the ground.

Any idea what this is and how it may be treated or, just in case,
prevented next year?
About 150 out of around 300 plants are affected at present but the
disease seems to progress steadily everywhere.
I do not know if it is that significant but the white plants (so far)
have remianed unaffected - but htere are only about 20 white ones in
total.

Other bedding plants - french marigolds, alyssum, lobelia, begonias
petunias, are (so far) unaffected.

Any help greatly appreciated

Mine too! I've scrapped them all.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Zhang DaWei" wrote in message
I have this problem as well. Only two have survived out of more than
36, though neither of the survivors are whiter (one is red, the other
pinkish)
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Please use the Reply-To
field. The email address given there is guaranteed to

I had 2 in very large pots last year and had a brilliant display , this year
along with the ones in the pots are ruined . anything to do with the
monsoons with have been having

Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 11:07*pm, Zhang DaWei wrote:
I have this problem as well. Only two have survived out of more than
36, though neither of the survivors are whiter (one is red, the other
pinkish)
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Please use the Reply-To
field. The email address given there is guaranteed to
work for two weeks from the date of this message.

Lovely to see you posting again, my busy lizzies are great, I just
wish our veg was. I will try and take a photo to post so you can see
for yourself.

Judith
Old 12-08-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 11:12*pm, "Tony D" wrote:
"Zhang DaWei" wrote in message

I have this problem as well. Only two have survived out of more than
36, though neither of the survivors are whiter (one is red, the other
pinkish)
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Please use the Reply-To
field. The email address given there is guaranteed to
work for two weeks from the date of this message.

I had 2 in very large pots last year and had a brilliant display , this year
along with the ones in the pots are ruined . *anything to do with the
monsoons with have been having

We had a huge amount of awful rain in May but the weather here has
been really hot. Mind you, tonight, it is pouring, I feel like going
out and standing in it, the rain is so welcome.

Judith

Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Zhang DaWei" wrote in message
I have this problem as well. Only two have survived out of more than
36, though neither of the survivors are whiter (one is red, the other
pinkish)

Same colors here too !

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 11:12 pm, "Tony D" wrote:
"Zhang DaWei" wrote in message

I have this problem as well. Only two have survived out of more than
36, though neither of the survivors are whiter (one is red, the other
pinkish)
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Please use the Reply-To
field. The email address given there is guaranteed to
work for two weeks from the date of this message.

I had 2 in very large pots last year and had a brilliant display , this
year
along with the ones in the pots are ruined . anything to do with the
monsoons with have been having

We had a huge amount of awful rain in May but the weather here has
been really hot. Mind you, tonight, it is pouring, I feel like going
out and standing in it, the rain is so welcome.

Got just over a week to go before I get away from all this rain for a bit ,
Bet it will be in the 80's here when I go :))

Old 13-08-2008, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 11:17*pm, "Tony D" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Aug 12, 11:12 pm, "Tony D" wrote:

"Zhang DaWei" wrote in message

.. .

I have this problem as well. Only two have survived out of more than
36, though neither of the survivors are whiter (one is red, the other
pinkish)
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Please use the Reply-To
field. The email address given there is guaranteed to
work for two weeks from the date of this message.

I had 2 in very large pots last year and had a brilliant display , this
year
along with the ones in the pots are ruined . anything to do with the
monsoons with have been having

We had a huge amount of awful rain in May but the weather here has
been really hot. *Mind you, tonight, it is pouring, I feel like going
out and standing in it, the rain is so welcome.

Got just over a week to go before I get away from all this rain for a bit ,
Bet it will be in the 80's here when I go :))- Hide quoted text -

Where are you off to?

Judith
Old 13-08-2008, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 11:17 pm, "Tony D" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in

,
Bet it will be in the 80's here when I go :))- Hide quoted text -

Where are you off to?

Off to Bentota in Sri Lanka for 3 weeks .............. Can't wait :))

Old 13-08-2008, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 1:23*am, "Tony D" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Aug 12, 11:17 pm, "Tony D" wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in
On Aug 12, 11:12 pm, "Tony D" wrote:

[...]

Off to Bentota in Sri Lanka for 3 weeks .............. Can't wait :))- Hide quoted text -

Lucky you, I'm not jealous I am just off to shop :-)

Judith

Old 13-08-2008, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Aug, 12:28, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article 4bb52633-ce41-4b4d-a21f-
,
says...

Most of my buzzy lizzies are dying with something that looks similar
to the dampng off disease you can get in young plants.

The plants are from several different sources and are spread around
the garden (which is a decent size front and back) and also in the
consevatory.

From fist signs it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the plants to rot back to
the ground.

Any idea what this is and how it may be treated or, just in case,
prevented next year?
About 150 out of around 300 plants are affected at present but the
disease seems to progress steadily everywhere.
I do not know if it is that significant but the white plants (so far)
have remianed unaffected - but htere are only about 20 white ones in
total.

Other bedding plants - french marigolds, alyssum, lobelia, begonias
petunias, are (so far) unaffected.

Any help greatly appreciated

Not much of a mystery surely? just look at the weather we have had this
year (or perhaps havn't had!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

I admit that the weather has not been the finest in living memory but
how do the Impatiens in the conservatory know this. Is my thermostat
at fault?

What is the disease?

Is there a cure and/or suitable preventive measures for next year?

Old 13-08-2008, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ROB L" wrote in message
On 13 Aug, 12:28, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article 4bb52633-ce41-4b4d-a21f-
,
says...

Most of my buzzy lizzies are dying with something that looks similar
to the dampng off disease you can get in young plants.

The plants are from several different sources and are spread around
the garden (which is a decent size front and back) and also in the
consevatory.

From fist signs it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the plants to rot back to
[...]

Was talking to a friend and she said the same thing had happened to her
bizzie lizzies, and she lives 40 miles from me . So must be a wide spread
problem

Old 13-08-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ROB L" wrote in message
On 13 Aug, 12:28, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article 4bb52633-ce41-4b4d-a21f-
,
says...

Most of my buzzy lizzies are dying with something that looks similar
to the dampng off disease you can get in young plants.

The plants are from several different sources and are spread around
the garden (which is a decent size front and back) and also in the
consevatory.

From fist signs it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the plants to rot back to
[...]

Mine are doing really well, pictures to follow.

Mike