Old 23-08-2008, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flies

On Aug 23, 3:28*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:39:52 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 23, 12:10*pm, Martin wrote:
[38 quoted lines suppressed]

I have checked, no flies breeding in the wheelie bin - yet!!

Where we live we don't get given wheelie bins. *We recycle what we can as
compost, paper gets burnt, tins and jars go to be recycled and the rest of
the stuff goes into a big black plastic bag which we leave outside the front
gate for dustmen to collect every Friday morning.

No flies in the rubbish but we do get flies coming into the house from time
to time. *We have a 'whacker' - but it's trying to catch the wretched things
first !
--
Every time you smile it is
a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.

We recycle a lot Val, paper is left in a bundle for starting the log
fires in Winter and all glass is taken to be recycled.

I have a whacker, it's called a Tapette, is that the same as your
whacker?

Judith
Old 23-08-2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 3:35*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:27:00 +0100, Sacha wrote:
More wasps than flies round here. *And I don't mean just us. *We had lunch
in Totnes yesterday at a pub overlooking the river and there were wasps
everywhere. *We decided to go inside eventually and two joined us in the
dining room!

we have wasps here too, must be a nest nearby ! *But what irritates me in
more ways than one are the midges that hover around the shrubs and veggies.
Whenever I go out to pick beans the attack me and I've even been bitten in
places that are covered with clothing - now how does that happen
--
What lies behind us and what lies before us
are small matters compared to what lies within us.

That's odd, simply because they tend to leave me alone, I can garden
in the middle of a cloud of midges whilst Edward goes indoors as he
will be bitten. Maybe I give off an aura that I am not bothered by
them, some sort of smell? Who knows? Mind you I give a different
aura off to mice, I run away! :-)

Judith
Old 23-08-2008, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
You are absolutely right Martin, how stupid to leave a bin for 2
weeks, in Summer????? What about young mothers and all those
disposable nappies, two weeks of disposable in the bin, I would think
we will end up with health problems before long.

Judith

Why are people still using disposable nappies?

Mary

Old 23-08-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/8/08 16:34, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
You are absolutely right Martin, how stupid to leave a bin for 2
weeks, in Summer????? What about young mothers and all those
disposable nappies, two weeks of disposable in the bin, I would think
we will end up with health problems before long.

Judith

Why are people still using disposable nappies?

Mary

Presumably for the same reason we don't all still go around in horses and
traps - convenience. If you give up your car to save the planet, will a
young mother you know, give up using disposables?
Not surprisingly, as many of mothers work nowadays, they don't want to
*have* to deal with dirty nappy liners, soaking nappies in buckets, lugging
the bucket around, pouring the filthy water away down an outside drain (if
they have one), watching the nappies revolve for an hour in the washing
machine, try to get them dry on cold, wet days if they haven't a tumble
dryer, (both of which use up earth's resources too) or spending a fortune on
using electricity if they have and then draping them around the house on
radiators or airers, trying to get them fit for junior to do it all over
again. I remember those days - what jolly laughs we had.
As it is, you can get biodegradable disposable nappies now
http://www.earthlets.co.uk/product/53/nappies.htm
and there is also a marvellous gadget for the bathroom which takes used
disposable nappies and twists each into its own little 'envelope' and then,
when the drum of plastic is finished, you take the whole sealed length out
and throw it away. It's not exposed to flies and there is almost zero
odour.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-08-2008, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pete C writes
tpow wrote:
anyone else having problems..........

dj
Hampshire

Yes. Non recycleables in black bag, securely tied........in wheelie bin,
lid closed, in shed, door closed. When opened a few days later, full of
maggots. The latest is more worrying.........when I come home from work,
one kitchen window has 8 - 12 flies on it. I can see no reason why they
congregate there.

Possibly an undiscovered corpse under a bit of furniture somewhere,
newly hatched flies trying to find a way out. If this is it, the
infestation will not last much more than a few days.
--
Kay
Old 23-08-2008, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 3:50*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 07:42:17 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 23, 3:35*pm, AriesVal
we have wasps here too, must be a nest nearby ! *But what irritates me in
more ways than one are the midges that hover around the shrubs and veggies.
Whenever I go out to pick beans the attack me and I've even been bitten in
places that are covered with clothing - now how does that happen

That's odd, simply because they tend to leave me alone, I can garden
in the middle of a cloud of midges whilst Edward goes indoors as he
will be bitten. *Maybe I give off an aura that I am not bothered by
them, some sort of smell? *Who knows? *Mind you I give a different
aura off to mice, I run away! :-)

Aha, I like mice but not in the house.

--
It's not the years *in your life that count.
It's the life in your years!

I don't like them anywhere - shudder!

Judith
Old 23-08-2008, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 4:34*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message
You are absolutely right Martin, how stupid to leave a bin for 2
weeks, in Summer????? *What about young mothers and all those
disposable nappies, two weeks of disposable in the bin, I would think
we will end up with health problems before long.

Judith

Why are people still using disposable nappies?

Mary

I dunno Mary, I don't have any babies.

Judith
Old 23-08-2008, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 6:30*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:41:31 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 23, 12:18*pm, Martin wrote:
On 23 Aug 2008 11:14:52 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin writes:

| We have fly screens. mozzies and flies. Flies breed in the wheelie bins in
| summer.

The solution is not to put food waste in them.

The flies aren't necessarily breeding in our bins.

We don't have any
problem with flies, because we chuck everything on the compost heap.
And, no, houseflies and similar don't breed on that.

One get rats instead, according to what has been posted here?

The solution is to empty the bins more often than once a fortnight, but they
knew that when they stopped doing it.
--

Martin

You are absolutely right Martin, how stupid to leave a bin for 2
weeks, in Summer????? *What about young mothers and all those
disposable nappies, two weeks of disposable in the bin, I would think
we will end up with health problems before long.

Feel sorry for us the wheelie bin pick up point for the block is on the pavement
outside our house.. The guy who drives the thing that picks them up has smashed
trees, bins and the street sign.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I feel very sorry for you Martin G

Judith
Old 23-08-2008, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Aug 23, 12:10*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 03:52:17 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 22, 10:06*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
tpow wrote:
anyone else having problems..........

dj
Hampshire

Yes. *Non recycleables in black bag, securely tied........in wheelie bin,
lid closed, in shed, door closed. When opened a few days later, full of
maggots. *The latest is more worrying.........when I come home from work,
one kitchen window has 8 - 12 flies on it. I can see no reason why they
congregate there. They seem to be becoming imune to sprays, I nearly have to
drown them in the stuff! *What are your problems dj?
--
Pete C
London UK

We have quite a big problem with flies here as we are in a National
Forest and next door is a farm. *We have fly screens at the bedroom
window and our doors have mosquito nets on the outside, even though we
don't have mozzies, fortunately! *I am just grateful that our bin is
emptied twice a week, once for plastic etc., and the other for
household waste.

We have fly screens. mozzies and flies. Flies breed in the wheelie bins in
summer.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I have checked, no flies breeding in the wheelie bin - yet!!

No flies on the naive blonde one, Sacha?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Behave you, or else!!

Judith

Old 23-08-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 6:32*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 23/8/08 18:28, in article ,

wrote:

On Aug 23, 12:10*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 03:52:17 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

snip We have fly screens. mozzies and flies. Flies breed in the wheelie
bins in

summer.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I have checked, no flies breeding in the wheelie bin - yet!!

No flies on the naive blonde one, Sacha?

Well you don't need to tell *me* that. *I counted when I met her. *Zero. ;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Bless, do you remember the first time we met? Uh are you
sacha????? :-)

Judith
Old 23-08-2008, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 8:52*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:32:24 +0100, Sacha wrote:

wrote:

On Aug 23, 12:10*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 03:52:17 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

snip We have fly screens. mozzies and flies. Flies breed in the wheelie
bins in
summer.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I have checked, no flies breeding in the wheelie bin - yet!!

No flies on the naive blonde one, Sacha?

Well you don't need to tell *me* that. *I counted when I met her. *Zero. ;-)

I was asking. Thanks for the reassurance.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

You Wanna smack ???

Judith
Old 23-08-2008, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 7:48*pm, K wrote:
Pete C writes

tpow wrote:
anyone else having problems..........

dj
Hampshire

Yes. *Non recycleables in black bag, securely tied........in wheelie bin,
lid closed, in shed, door closed. When opened a few days later, full of
maggots. *The latest is more worrying.........when I come home from work,
one kitchen window has 8 - 12 flies on it. I can see no reason why they
congregate there.

Possibly an undiscovered corpse under a bit of furniture somewhere,
newly hatched flies trying to find a way out. If this is it, the
infestation will not last much more than a few days.
--
Kay

I would smell a corpse Kay, I can smell them alive, they don't have to
die!!!

Judith
Old 24-08-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 9:42*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:26:33 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:34*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message
You are absolutely right Martin, how stupid to leave a bin for 2
weeks, in Summer????? *What about young mothers and all those
disposable nappies, two weeks of disposable in the bin, I would think
we will end up with health problems before long.

Judith

Why are people still using disposable nappies?

Mary

I dunno Mary, I don't have any babies.

Nor an oily bilge.
--