Old 25-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Registered User

Default Not a clue!!!

As a complete novice to ponds any info on raised garden ponds would be greatful.I have approx 7ftx6ft of ground to play with.
Q; How deep do I go into the ground.
Q;How high do I raise the pond.
Q;What type of set up will I need.
Q;Gold fish how many could I keep comfortably.
Q;Or how many if I were to go for koi instead.
Q;Final question how much do you think it would cost!
Old 26-07-2005, 03:21 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Pond Virgin" wrote in message

As a complete novice to ponds any info on raised garden ponds would be
greatful.I have approx 7ftx6ft of ground to play with.
Q; How deep do I go into the ground.

## Go at least 12 to 18" below the frost line where you live.

Q;How high do I raise the pond.

## As high as you find appealing. Some people like them at seat height so
they can sit on the edge and watch the fish.

Q;What type of set up will I need.

## Have you Googled ponds? There is more to read then you can imagine.
You will need adequate filtration for the size of your pond and the number
of fish you decide to keep.

Q;Gold fish how many could I keep comfortably.

## See above.

Q;Or how many if I were to go for koi instead.

## Koi can get 3' long so you need at least a 1000 gallon pond to keep only
a few.

Q;Final question how much do you think it would cost!

## I'm in the USA so can't even guess..... :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 26-07-2005, 04:01 AM
kathy

I'd start with goldfish, they stay relatively small,
compared to koi and can be just as pretty.

Try for 20 gallons per goldfish.

Then if you have room and get really into ponding
you can build a bigger pond and fix all the mistakes
you might have made the first time around.

If you post your plans as you go along we'll have lots
of advice for you.

Price - your biggest expense will be the liner and
whatever you use to raise the sides. Then there will
be the pump and whatever kind of filtration you decide
on. As with many things, a filter you build yourself will
be cheaper and work better.

Check the second site in my sig for some more information.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ shoot the heron?

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 26-07-2005, 06:34 AM
David

Hi PV,
Just to assure that you receive at least one response to your Q's:
Honestly, it would require tens of hours of time to respond properly
to your questions. And then, after that, the next person's response
would almost certainly be different.
They are good questions. However, I would recommend that you spend at
least a few weekends
1) Googleing in this fine NG, rec.ponds, using:
2) http://www.koiphen.com/forums/
3) http://www.awgs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
4) http://www.koivet.com/
These sites will answer your questions, many times over. But, IMHO,
you will never be content with the responses, unless you invest some
of your own time doing your own research. And trust me, you will
regret it later if you don't plan on spending some research time
upfront. JMO.
Wish you well, David

Old 26-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Gareee©

and the BEST advice I got here.. make your pond twice as large as you think
you want it.. because next year you WILL want it twice as large!

1st pond.. 2 ft square... 2nd pond.. 5 ft square. 3rd pond (current) 13x13.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 26-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Derek Broughton

Gareee© wrote:

and the BEST advice I got here.. make your pond twice as large as you
think you want it.. because next year you WILL want it twice as large!

Of course, that only saves you a year :-)
--
derek
Old 26-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
and the BEST advice I got here.. make your pond twice as large as you
think you want it.. because next year you WILL want it twice as large!
1st pond.. 2 ft square... 2nd pond.. 5 ft square. 3rd pond (current)
13x13.

==================================
This happened to me! The year before I got online I dug an 800 gallon pond.
Two years later we had a 2000 gallon pond dug. I still have both.

Old 27-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Registered User

I am sure you are researching as I post but here is my 2 cents. lol

Make the pond at least 3' deep, even if only the middle of you pond is that deep.

Level the edges, and research how you want the edges. I like the invisible liner look. A coping shelf 6" wide x 4" deep that has coping stones, with larger flat edge stones over, and overhanging about 2" over the pond edge. Also make a raised berm 2" high by at least 18" wide to keep run off out of the pond and to fit your edging rock.

Use the excavated soil to build up the waterfall area.

Install a bottom drain, or at least a retro-fit bottom drain. Greg Bickal sells a CD on the net with instructions. This will improve pond circulation. Savio and Pondsweep sell skimmers with retro-fit BD kits.

Did I mention to get a skimmer? lol

Research how to make a skippy filter or buy an out of pond filter. You will be glad you did- trust me.

Koi are beautiful- and demanding. They will eat your plants and they need very good filtration and oxygenation. I keep only 3 Koi in a 3500 gallon pond with a skimmer, UV, pressurized filter, and bio-waterfall, with 10% weekly water changes. I am upgrading this year. I don't think I knew what I was getting myself in to when I got those cute 6" Koi. They are now over 28" and I can not keep floating plants in the pond, and they tear up everything. Those crazy kids!

Oxygenating plants release oxygen during the day and absorb it at night. Plan on running your pump 24/7.

I suggest you do not put Koi in your pond due to size. I am not trying to be a Koi snob or anything- but I don't think they will do well when they get big, and they get big relatively fast. I love shubunkins for their personality and beauty. They would do well in a pond the size you are planning.

Big is not always better IMHO. My pond is very big for 150'x50' lot. I had to change the landscaping around to make it look natural. Expensive.

Landscaping- I suggest you incorporate evergreens around the pond edges such as spreading junipers, ect if you are using a lot of rocks. Ponds can look kind of dismal in February before things get growing.

Hope this helps. Good luck in planning and building your pond. Post pics when you get started and let us know if you run in to problems during construction.