Old 12-09-2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default TV alert

Toby Buckland presents his first programme of Gardeners' World tonight.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AriesVal wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:05:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Toby Buckland presents his first programme of Gardeners' World
tonight.

excellent prog which I've recorded. Did you see his raised veggie
beds? That's what I want for next year

I thought he did well. I loved his idea of a turf in a seed tray
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 13-09-2008, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/9/08 10:20, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:09:01 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 13/9/08 08:24, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:32:50 +0100, Pete C wrote:

AriesVal wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:05:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Toby Buckland presents his first programme of Gardeners' World
tonight.

excellent prog which I've recorded. Did you see his raised veggie
beds? That's what I want for next year

I thought he did well. I loved his idea of a turf in a seed tray

my brother has been doing that for years !

Ray raises ours in a compost bag then chucks the emergent seedlings onto the
required places but in a small garden the seed tray idea would do for most
people. And to be fair, a lot of people won't have thought of it and GW is
for gardeners at all states of expertise. I really liked his manner and
open character.

Oh yes I entirely agree with you, I wasn't being dismissive just surprised
to see something suggested that I've known about for years

I suppose it's a bit like urg. The same questions arise over and over again
because new and/or younger people are coming to gardening as beginners.
We've noticed a very welcome increase in the number of young people who come
to the Nursery now, whereas when I first knew it, 9 years ago, almost all
the customers were around 40 and older.

Old 13-09-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , AriesVal
writes
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:05:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Toby Buckland presents his first programme of Gardeners' World tonight.

Link here for those who didn't get to see it
http://www.gardenersworld.com/

Actually, I didn't see very much of it.
I was working as a volunteer on Wednesday helping a farmer salvage what
should have been hay, and will only be good for silage due to the awful
weather we have had.
I mowed my lawn after I got home, then on Thursday I raked it up with
aching limbs, and did some more tidying in the garden.
Friday we went swimming at the gym, then, too tired to go dancing, I
slept through most of GW in my comfy chair. ;-)

The GW website is useful, especially the "what to do this week".
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 13-09-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete C
writes
AriesVal wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:05:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Toby Buckland presents his first programme of Gardeners' World
tonight.

excellent prog which I've recorded. Did you see his raised veggie
beds? That's what I want for next year

I thought he did well. I loved his idea of a turf in a seed tray

And I'd like to go on record to say that I suggested him first, here on
the newsgroup
he is very self effacing and doesn't seem to have any hidden agenda.
Think he'll get along with the others too.
FWIW I thought the Rachel de Thame programme excellent, names of plants
on the Internet and details of what she did though i couldn't read the
place she ordered her plants from. I was looking upside down on the
label of the boxes but couldn't make it out.

She went up in my estimation of her gardening skills as she so seemed to
enjoy it all but unfortunately i really didn't think much of her flower
bed/border in the end. i was expecting great things
Still she likes it ..................

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-09-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/9/08 17:47, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Pete C
writes
AriesVal wrote:
[...]

Yes, I liked her programme. I'd like to see that border 3 years on but
didn't think it appeared very inspirational at the outset! But I did think
that given her head, as it were, she produced a really good result as a
programme.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

Old 13-09-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Sep, 17:47, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Pete C
writes

AriesVal wrote:
[...]

I'd have thought that the lawn mower would fall off.
David Hill
Old 13-09-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/9/08 17:59, in article
, "Dave

AriesVal wrote:
[...]

Back in your greenhouses, you!! Honestly.........it's like the joke about
the Irish tap dancer.

Old 14-09-2008, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

years !

Ray raises ours in a compost bag then chucks the emergent seedlings onto the
required places but in a small garden the seed tray idea would do for most
people. And to be fair, a lot of people won't have thought of it and GW is
for gardeners at all states of expertise. I really liked his manner and
open character.

It was on when lovely old Barnsdale was in it heyday and Geoff Hamilton.
i remember him suggesting it to repair grass.
I saw the pre germination of grass seed on a Wisely programme.

I agree though, some people won't know about it.
Old 15-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered User

I was pleasantly surprised by Tony Buckland. My money had been on Carol Klein, who I think is great, but I had thought that, even if offered it, she might not fancy having to commute so far every week.
I never took to Monty - too muscular and macho.