Old 28-09-2008, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Default Growing grapes

Hi all,

I know this is uk gardening but have a holiday home in Turkey, last year I
planted 2 small grape vines, I am back out in a couple of weeks and
apparently are about 3 feet high now, I basicall just have them tied to an
upright stake at the moment..
I intend to grow them straight up to a height of about 8 feet and then train
them along the outside of a covered roof area. At least thats the plan.
Is there anything I should be doing as I haven`t a clue other than keep them
watered. Any websites for beginners?

Any guidance appreciated.
thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "S" contains these words:

I know this is uk gardening but have a holiday home in Turkey, last year I
planted 2 small grape vines, I am back out in a couple of weeks and
apparently are about 3 feet high now, I basicall just have them tied to an
upright stake at the moment..
I intend to grow them straight up to a height of about 8 feet and then
train
them along the outside of a covered roof area. At least thats the plan.
Is there anything I should be doing as I haven`t a clue other than
keep them
watered. Any websites for beginners?

Dunno about websites, but if you want sensible crops you will have to
prune the vines. Uou'll need to do this before growth starts in the
spring, and after the fruit has set.

I'd try to find a website from a similar area for instructions - Israel
springs to mind as a not too dissimilar climate, and where you might
find a website written in English.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

OK Thanks for replying, will try that.

--

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "S" contains these words:

Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Oct, 19:54, "S" wrote:
OK Thanks for replying, will try that.

--

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in id.co.uk...

The message
from "S" contains these words:

[...]

Separator in search of a sig- Hide quoted text -

One thing that you should do is . Check with the locals to see which
grapes are best to plant in your area before planting anything. Grape
plants often take years to bear fruit, and it's best to know ahead of
time if your crop will turn out so you can avoid wasting time

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

One thing that you should do is . Check with the locals to see which
grapes are best to plant in your area before planting anything. Grape
plants often take years to bear fruit, and it's best to know ahead of
time if your crop will turn out so you can avoid wasting time

My Black Hamburg tried to fruit the first year I put it in, but I
removed the flowers. The next year I had 30 bunches...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Thanks for the comments, 1 more day to go and I will be out there pruning
the vines, it was the locals who bought the vines for me.
Got some info off the net for pruning advice.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 S wrote:

Thanks for the comments, 1 more day to go and I will be out there pruning
the vines, it was the locals who bought the vines for me.
Got some info off the net for pruning advice.

Pruning should not be done until December/January when the sap is at its
lowest. Vines have a great tendency to bleed from ripened wood.

David
(grower of vines for more than thirty years)

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 01:10 AM
Growing grapes in Austin. ceed Texas 3 01-05-2006 04:28 PM
Growing grapes from seeds - help please. Wolf Kirchmeir Gardening 12 15-09-2005 05:13 PM
Need help growing Concord grapes Toonartist Edible Gardening 4 04-09-2003 05:32 PM
Need help growing Concord grapes Toonartist Gardening 4 04-09-2003 05:32 PM