Old 21-10-2008, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID help, please

Could some kind person identify this plant for me, please?

It is growing outside on the island of Islay.

www.indaal.demon.co.uk/pictures/plant.html

A bit broke off a couple of months ago and we stuck it in a large pot
and it rooted and grew immediately.

--
Malcolm
Old 21-10-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Could some kind person identify this plant for me, please?

It is growing outside on the island of Islay.

www.indaal.demon.co.uk/pictures/plant.html

A bit broke off a couple of months ago and we stuck it in a large pot
and it rooted and grew immediately.

It would. It's a succulent of some sort, but not, I believe, native.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-10-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote

Could some kind person identify this plant for me, please?

It is growing outside on the island of Islay.

www.indaal.demon.co.uk/pictures/plant.html

A bit broke off a couple of months ago and we stuck it in a large pot and
it rooted and grew immediately.

Looks like an Aonium to me. Yellow flowers?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-10-2008, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/08 16:49, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

Could some kind person identify this plant for me, please?

It is growing outside on the island of Islay.

www.indaal.demon.co.uk/pictures/plant.html

A bit broke off a couple of months ago and we stuck it in a large pot
and it rooted and grew immediately.

It's an Aeonium. They do root quite easily but are tender in much of UK so
keep yours indoors for the winter unless you live in one of those places! In
Scilly they seem to seed themselves all over the place and grow wild.
There are some interesting varieties, one being an almost black one called
'Zwartkop' but usually called 'Schwarzkopf'.
(My Godson and his wife had a holiday with their twins on Islay this summer
and are lyrical about it.)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-10-2008, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
wrote:

Could some kind person identify this plant for me, please?

It is growing outside on the island of Islay.

www.indaal.demon.co.uk/pictures/plant.html

A bit broke off a couple of months ago and we stuck it in a large pot
and it rooted and grew immediately.

It's an Aeonium. They do root quite easily but are tender in much of UK so
keep yours indoors for the winter unless you live in one of those places! In
Scilly they seem to seed themselves all over the place and grow wild.
There are some interesting varieties, one being an almost black one called
'Zwartkop' but usually called 'Schwarzkopf'.
(My Godson and his wife had a holiday with their twins on Islay this summer
and are lyrical about it.)

Glad you settled that. We also have a black/very dark one and I could
not recall its name. It saved me calling my wife who is visiting
relatives.

Also glad your Godson enjoyed Islay. I used often to spend school
holidays there when my home was in Argyll some decades ago. Also enjoyed
a wonderful week in May this year. Malcolm runs the Islay Wildlife
Centre in Port Charlotte .... and superbly comprehensive facility
appealing to all ages.

Thanks again!
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset

Old 21-10-2008, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It's an Aeonium. They do root quite easily but are tender in much of UK so
keep yours indoors for the winter unless you live in one of those places!

He does. Washed by the Gulf Stream, and not a million miles from Poolewe...

In
Scilly they seem to seed themselves all over the place and grow wild.
There are some interesting varieties, one being an almost black one called
'Zwartkop' but usually called 'Schwarzkopf'.
(My Godson and his wife had a holiday with their twins on Islay this summer
and are lyrical about it.)

I think 'Zwartkop' would be Dutch...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-10-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It means the same thing - black head - but 'Zwartkop' is what is given in
the Plant Finder and I wondered if it could be Afrikaans. I have always
known it as 'Schwarzkopf', though.

Schwarzkopf is German.

Zwartkop is similar: kop is certainly an Africaans word, but much
Africaans is derived from Dutch, and I'd guess 'Zwart' is either Dutch,
or Africaans, or both.

I'll ask Richard Bos...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-10-2008, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Tom Withycombe contains these words:

Also glad your Godson enjoyed Islay. I used often to spend school
holidays there when my home was in Argyll some decades ago. Also enjoyed
a wonderful week in May this year. Malcolm runs the Islay Wildlife
Centre in Port Charlotte .... and superbly comprehensive facility
appealing to all ages.

I have title to a square foot of Islay...

When I wrote (tongue in cheek, as usual) to ask if I had shooting
rights, the (Laphroaig) distillery did not deign to reply.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-10-2008, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It means the same thing - black head - but 'Zwartkop' is what is given in
the Plant Finder and I wondered if it could be Afrikaans. I have always
known it as 'Schwarzkopf', though.

Schwarzkopf is German.

Zwartkop is similar: kop is certainly an Africaans word, but much
Africaans is derived from Dutch, and I'd guess 'Zwart' is either Dutch,
or Africaans, or both.

I'll ask Richard Bos...

An aside here, it always makes me smile when I see the adverts for
'Schwarzkopf' ladies cosmetics, fancy using something called blackhead!
Old 22-10-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It means the same thing - black head - but 'Zwartkop' is what is given in
the Plant Finder and I wondered if it could be Afrikaans. I have always
known it as 'Schwarzkopf', though.

Schwarzkopf is German.

Zwartkop is similar: kop is certainly an Africaans word, but much
Africaans is derived from Dutch, and I'd guess 'Zwart' is either Dutch,
or Africaans, or both.

I'll ask Richard Bos...

His reply is as follows:

As a nonce-word meaning "blackhead", could be Dutch. As a name for a
bird, same meaning, /Albione/ Blackcap, it _is_ Dutch. As a name for a
succulent I've never seen it, but a quick websearch does seem to show it
to be of African origin. All the same, it's a normally formed Dutch
word, and would immediately be understood by any Dutchman if used to
refer to a black succulent.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-10-2008, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/08 16:33, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 22/10/08 20:04, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:
[...]

So, it's African with dual nationality...... ;-))

Good job it wasn't a crucifer, or it might have had a dual cabbageway.

Listen you, you're already responsible for what may hold the record for the
longest punning thread in the history of urg!