Old 22-10-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Russian Vine

Please does anyone have a foolproof and/or easy method of killing a Russian
vine without killing everything else!

We`ve been invaded and it will soon swallow EVERYTHING!

Pat

--
"Be who you are and say what you feel....Because those that matter....don't
mind....And those that mind....don't matter."

Old 22-10-2008, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ironically, my Russian vine is struggling to survive here in France. I
planted one on the North side of a derelict old barn hoping it would
climb up some wire netting and onto what is left of the roof.

The Russian vine I had back in England was the exact opposite, a fast
growing thug.

I think they just like to be contrary. It has the perfect spot (as far
as I'm concerned) for it to run rampage! Instead it sulks.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 22-10-2008, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:37:09 +0100, Sacha wrote:

When I think the less garden-minded people here have actively promoted
the idea of planting *several* of these monsters, I'm quite relieved to
see a post that illustrates the trouble that's unleashed by putting one
of these in the wrong place!

Yebbutt the OP says 'invaded': it may very well not be his/her plant. If
it's a neighbours they might not appreciate his/her glyphosating it!
Old 22-10-2008, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:37:09 +0100, Sacha wrote:

When I think the less garden-minded people here have actively promoted
the idea of planting *several* of these monsters, I'm quite relieved to
see a post that illustrates the trouble that's unleashed by putting one
of these in the wrong place!

Yebbutt the OP says 'invaded': it may very well not be his/her plant. If
it's a neighbours they might not appreciate his/her glyphosating it!

Anyone who plants a RV and allows it to invade someone else deserves to be
glyphosated - as well as the plant!

pk

Old 22-10-2008, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:41:00 +0100, PK wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:37:09 +0100, Sacha wrote:

When I think the less garden-minded people here have actively promoted
the idea of planting *several* of these monsters, I'm quite relieved
to see a post that illustrates the trouble that's unleashed by putting
one of these in the wrong place!

Yebbutt the OP says 'invaded': it may very well not be his/her plant.
If it's a neighbours they might not appreciate his/her glyphosating it!

Anyone who plants a RV and allows it to invade someone else deserves to
be glyphosated - as well as the plant!

pk

but you've still got to live next door to them. Better to keep the
peace, if possible.
Old 22-10-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:41:00 +0100, PK wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:37:09 +0100, Sacha wrote:

When I think the less garden-minded people here have actively promoted
the idea of planting *several* of these monsters, I'm quite relieved
to see a post that illustrates the trouble that's unleashed by putting
one of these in the wrong place!

Yebbutt the OP says 'invaded': it may very well not be his/her plant.
If it's a neighbours they might not appreciate his/her glyphosating it!

Anyone who plants a RV and allows it to invade someone else deserves to
be glyphosated - as well as the plant!

pk

but you've still got to live next door to them. Better to keep the
peace, if possible.

in practice, the damn thing is so vigorous that glyphosating the ivading bit
will keep that bit at bay but the reas will continue to grow without
noticing.

Same with Ivy, i glyphosate the stuff coming trhought beh fence from next
door twice a year - is slows it down wnough to prevent it destroying the
fence but the main plant remains happy!!

pk

Old 22-10-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pat P" wrote in message
Please does anyone have a foolproof and/or easy method of killing a
Russian vine without killing everything else!

We`ve been invaded and it will soon swallow EVERYTHING!

Pat

Hi Pat

All that is need is to cut the stems as they appear from the ground.

HOWEVER, please bear in mind that they are a self layering and like
Blackberries, as soon as they touch the ground, off they go again.

SO, keep and eye on the area and keep the hoe/secateurs handy.

There is a place for Russian Vine and if you visit the Isle of Wight look at
the wonderful one in Newport on the exit from the car park of Marks and
Sparks :-))))

As a screen they are superb but need a very hefty support and MUST be kept
away from neighbours trees ;-(
Russian Vine is like Leylanddii, 'There is a time and place for everything'

One question. Why have you got one?

Mike
Keep that hoe going after you have cut ALL stems ;-)

Old 22-10-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:37:09 +0100, Sacha wrote:

When I think the less garden-minded people here have actively promoted
the idea of planting *several* of these monsters, I'm quite relieved to
see a post that illustrates the trouble that's unleashed by putting one
of these in the wrong place!

Yebbutt the OP says 'invaded': it may very well not be his/her plant. If
it's a neighbours they might not appreciate his/her glyphosating it!

Tough! If it was "thir" RATS poison them! It`s probably as much of a
menace! LOL!

Pat

Old 22-10-2008, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pat P" wrote in message
[...]

It crept in from further down the row of gardens behind - not quite sure
where it originated as it seems to be going/coming in/from all directions!

They`re very pretty in the right place but not invading a smallish garden
(or three).

Pat

Old 23-10-2008, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/08 22:40, in article , "Pat P"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pat P" wrote in message
[...]

QED

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-10-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

One question. Why have you got one?

Mike
Keep that hoe going after you have cut ALL stems ;-)

It crept in from further down the row of gardens behind - not quite sure
where it originated as it seems to be going/coming in/from all directions!

They`re very pretty in the right place but not invading a smallish garden
(or three).

Pat

Pat I quite agree with you. In a small garden a nightmare :-((

You can only attack it and knock it out every time it appears.

How well do you get on/know the neighbours concerned? Could you approach
them and ask if they ""really"" like it and 'might it be an idea on an all
out attack on it?' Of course that depends on your neighbours and their
feelings. I have wonderful neighbours and I know that if we had a problem
such as yours we would combine forces and rid our gardens of it. It's great
to have wonderful neighbours :-)

Worth a try?

Good luck

Mike

Russian vine Renee United Kingdom 36 09-04-2007 02:00 AM
Russian Vine - can it be killed off? ADH United Kingdom 3 10-06-2006 02:07 AM
Russian Vine Capt T United Kingdom 4 29-07-2005 01:06 PM
Growth habit of Clematis armandii (was Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)) Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM
Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum) iamhere United Kingdom 15 09-04-2003 06:56 PM