Old 26-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Mark Allison

Default Greenhouse - new or 2nd hand?

Hi there,

I've been looking through some greenhouse brochures and have been quite
shocked by the prices. Is it worthwhile buying a second hand one? Has
anyone done this - are they generally easy to dismantle and move?

New ones are ten times or more the price of a 2nd hand one.

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

Old 26-04-2003, 12:56 PM
aj

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been looking through some greenhouse brochures and have been quite
shocked by the prices. Is it worthwhile buying a second hand one? Has
anyone done this - are they generally easy to dismantle and move?

New ones are ten times or more the price of a 2nd hand one.

If you are anywhere near north wales i have an 8 x 6 one for free, its
alluminium with sliding door and automatic window, apex roof i would guess
it is under five years old. I inherited it with the house, you have to do
the donkey work mind you but i will assist if i can.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Charlie

We got ours second hand, it's lasted at our house for about ten years now.
We had to get some glass cut to size and buy some extra glass clips, but it
works as well as a new one!

Charlie.

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been looking through some greenhouse brochures and have been quite
shocked by the prices. Is it worthwhile buying a second hand one? Has
anyone done this - are they generally easy to dismantle and move?

New ones are ten times or more the price of a 2nd hand one.

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

---

Old 26-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Why not make your own? Have had four in my lifetime at different locations
and constructed each one from readily available materials.......every bit as
good as those high priced ones sold on the market......todays materials make
it much easier to constrruct than it did years ago.....now it is almost a
'no brainer' to construct a good looking and efficient one......Harold
W."Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been looking through some greenhouse brochures and have been quite
shocked by the prices. Is it worthwhile buying a second hand one? Has
anyone done this - are they generally easy to dismantle and move?

New ones are ten times or more the price of a 2nd hand one.

ast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Old 26-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been looking through some greenhouse brochures and have been quite
shocked by the prices. Is it worthwhile buying a second hand one? Has
anyone done this - are they generally easy to dismantle and move?

New ones are ten times or more the price of a 2nd hand one.

I sold mine cheap just to make sure I got rid of it(buyer dismantled it and
took it away) and it would have been just as easy to re-erect as a new one,
for example he knew it definitely had all the bits!
More work to dismantle, but otherwise probably better than buying one
already in bits since you might not know how to fit them together (my buyer
labelled everything and drew diagrams) or if all the bits are there.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 26-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Mike

In article , Charlie
writes
We got ours second hand, it's lasted at our house for about ten years now.
We had to get some glass cut to size and buy some extra glass clips, but it
works as well as a new one!

Charlie.

I can endorse everything said above.

Got it via a friend, another friend delivered it and apart from the odd
glass which got busted in transit, everything tickety boo :-))
(You will gather from this that I do have LOTS of friends :-))))

Mike
The original that is.
The one which doesn't knowingly tells lies. Does he Mabbett?
I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem
Old 26-04-2003, 10:44 PM
david

"........More work to dismantle, but otherwise probably better than buying
one already in bits since you might not know how to fit them together (my
buyer labelled everything and drew diagrams) or if all the bits are
there...."

If you have a dig. camera then photo all the joints etc, helps when re
assembling.
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 27-04-2003, 06:45 PM
gray bale

My experiences of moving a greenhouse.

1 - Watch out for the greenhouses that have a little M4 ?? slotted screws
and nuts that are positioned in the corners, these are a devil to undo after
10 years. I think they must have been stainless steel, as I had to grind
them off.

2 - Watch out for method of sealing the glass, as normally the rubber will
have hardened / perished. The one I have just bought, had foam sealing
strip, that ended up being just powder, when I took it apart.

3 - Watch out for the alloy square nuts and bolts, these tend to age and
will snap off.

4 - Label all struts up etc, label all verticals up starting with 1, 2, 3
etc and go in a clockwise manner. Do the same with the roof.

5 - You will smash some glass, in trying to get them out, or in transit. But
keep all the funny shaped broken bits, for use as a template.

Old 27-04-2003, 09:56 PM

I've been looking through some greenhouse brochures and have been quite
shocked by the prices. Is it worthwhile buying a second hand one? Has
anyone done this - are they generally easy to dismantle and move?

You can usually pick up 2nd hand greenhouses in the local papers for nothing
or very little. If you have a day or so to dismantle and re-erect them,
they can be good. All my greenhouses were 2nd hand and free ;-)

Best,

- h