Old 02-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered User

Default Transplanting lavenders

I've decided that several lavenders in the parterre are getting too big and leggy and want to dig them out and move younger, smaller specimens from other parts of the garden to replace them. Is it too late for this year?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I've decided that several lavenders in the parterre are getting too big
and leggy and want to dig them out and move younger, smaller specimens
from other parts of the garden to replace them. Is it too late for
this year?

Yes, although being gardening all things are possible!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Conroy" wrote in
message ...

I've decided that several lavenders in the parterre are getting too

big
and leggy and want to dig them out and move younger, smaller specimens
from other parts of the garden to replace them. Is it too late for
this year?

--
Janet Conroy

Janet,

Now is about the right time, apparently
http://www.lavenderenchantment.com/G...nsplanting.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Registered User

Thanks to you both. Given that the likely transplants are freebies inherited when we moved here in March 2007, I'll give it a go.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:
'Emrys Davies[_2_ Wrote:
;821445']"Janet Conroy" wrote
in
message ...-

http://tinyurl.com/693mn4

Thanks to you both. Given that the likely transplants are freebies
inherited when we moved here in March 2007, I'll give it a go.

You might think of stripping some seeds from spikes and laying them on a
bed of poor sandy soil, then covering them with very small pea shingle.

Keep moist but not wet.

You'll have a forest of them.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 04-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Hinge View Post
The message
from Janet Conroy
contains
these words:
'Emrys Davies[_2_ Wrote:
;821445']"Janet Conroy"
wrote
in
message ...-

I've decided that several lavenders in the parterre are getting too-
big-
and leggy and want to dig them out and move younger, smaller
specimens
from other parts of the garden to replace them. Is it too late for
this year?

Now is about the right time, apparently
http://tinyurl.com/693mn4

Thanks to you both. Given that the likely transplants are freebies
inherited when we moved here in March 2007, I'll give it a go.

You might think of stripping some seeds from spikes and laying them on a
bed of poor sandy soil, then covering them with very small pea shingle.

Keep moist but not wet.

You'll have a forest of them.

Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Rusty: funny you should say that. I garden on sand and, when I cut one back this morning, there were some babies growing underneath.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 2, 10:29 pm, Janet Conroy Janet.Conroy.
wrote:
I've decided that several lavenders in the parterre are getting too big
and leggy and want to dig them out and move younger, smaller specimens
from other parts of the garden to replace them. Is it too late for
this year?

--
Janet Conroy

Janet, when I pruned my lavenders, severely, they didn't shoot again.
I find that in my garden in France, quite sandy in places and clay in
others, that in the sandy part, the lavenders have self seeded and I
have many new plants.

Judith
Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

You might think of stripping some seeds from spikes and laying them on
bed of poor sandy soil, then covering them with very small pea
shingle.

Keep moist but not wet.

You'll have a forest of them.

Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period
uk
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty: funny you should say that. I garden on sand and, when I cut one
back this morning, there were some babies growing underneath.

Not funny at all - lavender is a poor soil shrub.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-11-2008, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:22:39 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

You might think of stripping some seeds from spikes and laying them on
bed of poor sandy soil, then covering them with very small pea
shingle.

Keep moist but not wet.

You'll have a forest of them.

Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period
uk
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty: funny you should say that. I garden on sand and, when I cut one
back this morning, there were some babies growing underneath.

Not funny at all - lavender is a poor soil shrub.

Babies normally grow under gooseberry bushes.

Ah, but do babies gro normally under gooseberry bushes?

Discuss.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 5, 7:55 pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 13:44:07 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:22:39 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

You might think of stripping some seeds from spikes and laying them on
bed of poor sandy soil, then covering them with very small pea
shingle.

Keep moist but not wet.

You'll have a forest of them.

Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period
uk
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty: funny you should say that. I garden on sand and, when I cut one
back this morning, there were some babies growing underneath.

Not funny at all - lavender is a poor soil shrub.

Babies normally grow under gooseberry bushes.

Ah, but do babies gro normally under gooseberry bushes?

Discuss.

Is this leading to a bury a dead donkey first thread
--

Martin

No, that's for grapes Martin!! Don't you know nuffink?

Judith

Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

/prune/

Is this leading to a bury a dead donkey first thread
--

Martin

No, that's for grapes Martin!! Don't you know nuffink?

Rhetorical question?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 5, 9:44 pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 13:36:44 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:22:39 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

You might think of stripping some seeds from spikes and laying them on
bed of poor sandy soil, then covering them with very small pea
shingle.

Keep moist but not wet.

You'll have a forest of them.

Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period
uk
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty: funny you should say that. I garden on sand and, when I cut one
back this morning, there were some babies growing underneath.

Not funny at all - lavender is a poor soil shrub.

Babies normally grow under gooseberry bushes.

Ah, but do babies gro normally under gooseberry bushes?

Discuss.

Is this leading to a bury a dead donkey first thread

No, that's for grapes Martin!! Don't you know nuffink?

If you have a dead donkey any hole will do.

I thought Rusty advocated a dead donkey for rhubarb, others prefer custard.
--

Martin

Sheesh, a dead donkey, in France, on chalkiest soil, is that they do
when planting vines, duh Martin, I know my vines, I grew one in
England. In a greenhouse Balck Hamburg, I think, anyway, if you want
good grapes anything dead in a trench will produce good grapes, innit.

Judith
Old 05-11-2008, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 5, 10:26 pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 22:01:18 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

/prune/

Is this leading to a bury a dead donkey first thread
--

Martin

No, that's for grapes Martin!! Don't you know nuffink?

Rhetorical question?

Drop the dead donkey?
--

Martin

No, no, that is not on topic Martin, do 100 lines," I will put
fertiliser on my crops and flowers using one part of manure to x parts
of ?" Now show us your knowledge Martin?

Judith
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Our best vine grew where the builders had dumped some plaster. It
reached the
eves before a gale brought it down. It is 34 years old and has
survived several
very cold winters. I had it growing in a box on a third floor balcony when I
first bought it. It started life in the monastery at Maria Lach in Germany.

My best vine is doing its best to strangle the house...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

lavenders Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 30 28-11-2007 12:13 AM
Transplanting lavenders Staycalm Australia 6 25-04-2007 10:19 AM
Lavenders where to buy Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 11 02-07-2005 09:19 PM
Transplanting Pride of India Maryanne Gardening 0 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Transplanting Roses TCrevison Roses 1 02-02-2003 05:59 AM