Old 14-12-2008, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poinsettia

My wife was given a poinsttia (from Sainsburys) just under a week ago.
It is at floor level in a centrally heated room and about six feet from
the window. It is dropping what appear to be heathy leaves at an
alarming rate. It is not overwatered (compost is just damp)

What does the panel think?

Malcolm
Old 15-12-2008, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message
My wife was given a poinsttia (from Sainsburys) just under a week ago.
It is at floor level in a centrally heated room and about six feet

from
the window. It is dropping what appear to be heathy leaves at an
alarming rate. It is not overwatered (compost is just damp)

What does the panel think?

Malcolm

I am not sure that lack of moisture is your problem but if it is it is
very well explained he http://tinyurl.com/5p8h6z

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 15-12-2008, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Dec, 23:21, Malcolm wrote:
My wife was given a poinsttia (from Sainsburys) just under a week ago.
It is at floor level in a centrally heated room and about six feet from
the window. *It is dropping what appear to be heathy leaves at an
alarming rate. *It is not overwatered (compost is just damp)

What does the panel think?

I bought one from the local independent garden centre, and it is
dropping leaves. I suspect the 'cold shock' of carrying it from the
coldhouse to the car and then from the car into a warm house. I
bought it on the frostiest day we had (The only day I had off work).

Plan B is to buy another on the 23rd. Let the professionals struggle
to keep it alive.

Old 15-12-2008, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Malcolm
writes
My wife was given a poinsttia (from Sainsburys) just under a week ago.
It is at floor level in a centrally heated room and about six feet from
the window. It is dropping what appear to be heathy leaves at an
alarming rate. It is not overwatered (compost is just damp)

What does the panel think?

Malcolm

They're banned from my house since I bought one for a lady friend and a
leaf stem broke. She must have come in contact with the sap and it
caused a nasty rash.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-12-2008, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote
after Malcolm writes
My wife was given a poinsttia (from Sainsburys) just under a week ago. It
is at floor level in a centrally heated room and about six feet from the
window. It is dropping what appear to be heathy leaves at an alarming
rate. It is not overwatered (compost is just damp)

What does the panel think?

They're banned from my house since I bought one for a lady friend and a
leaf stem broke. She must have come in contact with the sap and it
caused a nasty rash.

That is a problem with all Euphorbias, of which Poinsettia is one of a 2160.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia
That tells you about the sap etc.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered User

Having bought poinsettias every Xmas for decades, I can work out neither rhyme nor reason as to why some flourish and others are dead within weeks. They seem to like regular tepid water and light, but not direct sunlight; warmth but not too close to a radiator. Actually, this year's was still going in August and I was so bored with it that it went on the compost.
Old 16-12-2008, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Janet Conroy" typed:
Having bought poinsettias every Xmas for decades, I can work out
neither rhyme nor reason as to why some flourish and others are dead
within weeks. They seem to like regular tepid water and light, but
not direct sunlight; warmth but not too close to a radiator.
Actually, this year's was still going in August and I was so bored
with it that it went on the compost.

What an attitude to life! Had any relationships that have lasted longer?
--
Shaun.

Old 16-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~misfit~[_3_] View Post
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Janet Conroy" typed:
Having bought poinsettias every Xmas for decades, I can work out
neither rhyme nor reason as to why some flourish and others are dead
within weeks. They seem to like regular tepid water and light, but
not direct sunlight; warmth but not too close to a radiator.
Actually, this year's was still going in August and I was so bored
with it that it went on the compost.

What an attitude to life! Had any relationships that have lasted longer?
--
Shaun.
I'm struggling to see a connection between relationships and the care (or in this case, lack of it) of houseplants. Since you ask, 40th wedding anniversary this year. Basically, I don't really like poinsettias, except as Xmas decorations. All my other house plants are extremely elderly.