Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Bird box + camera

Pete Stockdale writes

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

Visa also do debit cards. When Excel collapsed last year, people were
being advised that those who paid by credit card could get a refund, and
also that those who paid by Visa *debit* cards might be able to get a
refund. Mate of mine booked by Visa debit, so I am very clear on what
advice was being given.
--
Kay
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards,
Visa for instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

I have to disagree. I have a Barclays Connect card, which is a debit card
and the Visa symbol appears on this.

Tina

Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird box + camera (paying for)

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards,
Visa for instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

I have to disagree. I have a Barclays Connect card, which is a debit card
and the Visa symbol appears on this.

I accept there may be "exceptions" (oops) !
Why should a Barclays debit card show the Visa symbol ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and *credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards,
Visa for instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

I have to disagree. *I have a Barclays Connect card, which is a debit card
and the Visa symbol appears on this.

I accept there may be "exceptions" (oops) !
Why should a Barclays debit card show the Visa symbol ?

Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com- Hide quoted text -

Debit cards are issued by the organisations that hold your money on
deposit and will be issued under a card scheme. The debit cards most
commonly used in the UK are Visa Debit, issued under the Visa card
scheme, and Maestro Cards, previously known as Switch cards, have been
rebranded Maestro to make them part of a worldwide scheme.
David Hill
Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards,
Visa for instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

Chris is correct - Aldi and Lidl will only accept debit cards that debit
your bank account PDQ !

For some reason they take credit cards in some stores in Scotland?
and my Halifax debit card issued last week has the Visa symbol on it.

If I get a chance I will try and get the bird box tomorrow, I have to
replace our original box as some wasps decided to build a nest in it last
year after many years of tit occupation!

Des

Des

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit
cards, Visa for instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would
never appear on a debit card.

Chris is correct - Aldi and Lidl will only accept debit cards that
debit your bank account PDQ !

For some reason they take credit cards in some stores in Scotland?
and my Halifax debit card issued last week has the Visa symbol on it.

If I get a chance I will try and get the bird box tomorrow, I have to
replace our original box as some wasps decided to build a nest in it
last year after many years of tit occupation!

Des

There has to be a joke there somewhere.
My debit card is Visa
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , shazzbat
wrote

I hope someone here will notice and post when they're doing cordless or
petrol strimmers.

Sign up for their junk email They will send the electronic form of
the in-store 'special offer' newsletter twice a week. Subscribe to the
newsletter until it comes along and then un-subscribe.

No way. I get quite enough spam already thanks. The trouble with signing
up for that sort of stuff is they take it as a licence to also send you
everything else they ever think of, and put you on a database so everyone
else can too.

Not evidence of Aldi (at least) doing that that I'm aware of; and it would
be illegal if they did.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Dieseldes
wrote

If I get a chance I will try and get the bird box tomorrow, I have to
replace our original box as some wasps decided to build a nest in it last
year after many years of tit occupation!

If you get one with a camera remember to test it out in your living room
when you get home. There will be no problems returning _faulty_ goods
to the store within a month otherwise you may have to get a refund
through their support service.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete Stockdale
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I must admit to being more interested in the Spotting Scope, can't be any
good at that price can it? It's toy priced.

Find binoculars difficult so tend to use a Monocular, a Spotting Scope
would be one better and it's a very cheap way to find out if you can get
on with one.

--

Pity there is no way of attaching a still camera to it though.
It would really be a bargain then !

There is probably a way to connect a digital camera to the scope. Most
scopes have that capacity but the coupling equipment can be surprisingly
expensive. And you must have a tripod. The old Nikon Coolpix 4500 is
reckoned to be one of the better digi-cameras to clamp on to scopes.
This type of photography takes a bit of getting used to but can be very
rewarding.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete Stockdale
writes

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards,
Visa for instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

I have to disagree. I have a Barclays Connect card, which is a debit card
and the Visa symbol appears on this.

I accept there may be "exceptions" (oops) !
Why should a Barclays debit card show the Visa symbol ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

In which case Nationwide Debit card is also an exception.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards,
Visa for instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

Chris is correct - Aldi and Lidl will only accept debit cards that debit
your bank account PDQ !

For some reason they take credit cards in some stores in Scotland?
and my Halifax debit card issued last week has the Visa symbol on it.

If I get a chance I will try and get the bird box tomorrow, I have to
replace our original box as some wasps decided to build a nest in it last
year after many years of tit occupation!

Then open it and remove the old wasps nest. Wasps build a new nest each
year. If you can get the old nest out fairly intact, a local school or
natural history group might be interested in it to exhibit it to show how
such a nest is made.

--
Jeff

Old 08-02-2009, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Rick... (The other Rick)" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 09:56:28 +0000, Alan wrote:

As this subject has been previously raised in this group, Aldi are
selling bird nest boxes with an inbuilt camera for £40 on Sunday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...d=2009-02-06-1
5-49

I would guess the camera to be of 'adequate' quality and 'built to a
price' so don't expect high definition pictures . It only has an
analogue TV output signal (S video) that can be connected directly in to
a suitable SCART socket on a TV. It would need an additional video
capture card in a computer to distribute the pictures over the Internet.

If you have never used an Aldi store before....

Popular special offers often sell out soon after the store opens on the
first day when they are available (in this case on Sunday). Once it's
gone - it's gone - there will be no more deliveries. Sometimes a special
offer doesn't get delivered to all stores.

They don't take credit cards. Debit cards (chip and pin) or cash only
(probably no cheques).

No free bags - bring your own or expect to pay (assuming that they have
any stock of carrier bags).

No packing of bags at checkout. Everything goes back into the trolley
which you then take to the 'packing area' with shelves or to your car.

The trick at Lidl and aldi is to grab an empty box out of the veg area, or
from one of the BIG cardboard boxen on pallets that they put the smaller
boxen in. At the checkout it's too late to be thinking about a box.

And yes, the good stuff does sell out early. I got my compressor at 0815,
by 0900 they were gone, as were the air tools.

I hope someone here will notice and post when they're doing cordless or
petrol strimmers.

Steve

Flippin' eck Steve did you have to tell everybody those boxes are thin on
the ground at the best of times :-) and before anybody takes issue with the
quality of the specials they should remember it is guaranteed and not in the
Curry/Dixons manner where you pay for the cost of a replacement for the
'extended' guarantee. btw no issues with extra spam tho' I really don't need
the very reasonable photoprinting offers cos I do me own.
DerekW

Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I saw a German test of power tools on German TV. The cheap no name makes
had a
very short life.
--

Martin

No doubt about it but I'm happy to get 12 months out of an angle
grinder(landrovers!!) failure before and its returned under guarantee but
if you put say a budget angle grinder from Sealey , Silverline and a
Powercraft (Lidl) on a bench together you will notice two differences the
label and the price, the manufacturers are the same in the ones I have
handled down to impressed part numbers . When it comes to the airtools the
price variations are amazing the major difference is the customer service
the Powercraft CS are brilliant when I needed a replacement compressor seal
they had it to me next day FOC
DerekW

Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote

I saw a German test of power tools on German TV. The cheap no name makes had a
very short life.

That's always been true but these days the no-name tools are probably of
an equal quality to the cheaper tools of the past that carried well
known brand names and were sold in the sheds to the DIY market. If you
want something of a professional grade then still expect to pay a lot of
money.

Even well known brands are made in China to a price and often the same
no-name item will carry different main stream branding. Sometimes the
quality of a product improves when manufacture is moved to a modern far
eastern assembly plant!

It's not just tools, the well known brands of the UK hi-fi market,
Wharfedale, Mission, Quad and Audiolab are just a brand name owned by
IAG that is put the badges on items built in their Shenzhen factory.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Alan wrote:
As this subject has been previously raised in this group, Aldi are
selling bird nest boxes with an inbuilt camera for £40 on Sunday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...d=2009-02-06-1
5-49

I would guess the camera to be of 'adequate' quality and 'built to a
price' so don't expect high definition pictures . It only has an
analogue TV output signal (S video) that can be connected directly in
to a suitable SCART socket on a TV. It would need an additional
video capture card in a computer to distribute the pictures over the
Internet.

I might give that a whirl. I guess I could feed the signal to my DVD
recorder?

In for a penny etc......picked one up today. Pic quality looks good on test.
However, inside box mught be a different matter. Hopefully get it up and
running by next weekend.
--
Pete C
London UK