Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird box + camera

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I must admit to being more interested in the Spotting Scope, can't be any
good at that price can it? It's toy priced.

Find binoculars difficult so tend to use a Monocular, a Spotting Scope
would be one better and it's a very cheap way to find out if you can get
on with one.

--

Pity there is no way of attaching a still camera to it though.
It would really be a bargain then !

I suppose you could set it up to do frame capture through a computer and
there is an IR activated camera available but then it starts to get pricy
btw what camera did you settle on finally?
DerekW

Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message

I suppose you could set it up to do frame capture through a computer and
there is an IR activated camera available but then it starts to get pricy
btw what camera did you settle on finally?
DerekW

Hi there,
I settled on the S 5800 Fuji.
It seemed to cover my requirements as much as any, at the right price.

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...3609#loginArea

seemed to be the cheapest source.

Apart from a brief test - I have not used it yet - too cold !

I hope to come back with a report fairly shortly.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 09-02-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...M-S5800/tab/re...

seemed to be the cheapest source.

Apart from a brief test - I have not used it yet - too cold !

I hope to come back with a report fairly shortly.

Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com

If you are thinkig of another Fuji Camera do go to their web site and
have a look at their referbished items,
Great value
https://secure.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/c...meras/view-all
Kodac also sell referbished cameras, a great saving and as they have
been gone over by the factory you know you are geting a good item.
I also got a Sony webcam through Amazon a return still boxed and with
a full 12 month guarantee and it was a few pounds short of £200
saving.
David Hill
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

If you are thinkig of another Fuji Camera do go to their web site and
have a look at their referbished items,
Great value
https://secure.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/c...meras/view-all
Kodac also sell referbished cameras, a great saving and as they have
been gone over by the factory you know you are geting a good item.
I also got a Sony webcam through Amazon a return still boxed and with
a full 12 month guarantee and it was a few pounds short of £200
saving.

I did check out Fuji refurbishments but chose to go for new.

Regards
Pete

Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

A good place to look before you buy for an objective review/evaluation is
http://www.dpreview.com/
--

One would have thought so - but I cannot find the S5800 featured therein !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:01:40 -0000, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..

A good place to look before you buy for an objective review/evaluation
is
http://www.dpreview.com/
--

One would have thought so - but I cannot find the S5800 featured therein !

It is too new maybe? The S5700 is there.
--

It is a bit of a mystery !
Cameras "announced" this year feature - but the S 5800 is a last years'

Regards
Pete

Old 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

It is a bit of a mystery !
Cameras "announced" this year feature - but the S 5800 is a last years'
model.
Too new, therefore is questionable.

I think they have limited resources. They don't do tests of all cameras.

As I said on Monday PM .

I hope to come back with a report fairly shortly.

I am not however qualified to do a full test.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 14-02-2009, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Alan wrote:
As this subject has been previously raised in this group, Aldi are
selling bird nest boxes with an inbuilt camera for £40 on Sunday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...d=2009-02-06-1
5-49

I would guess the camera to be of 'adequate' quality and 'built to
a price' so don't expect high definition pictures . It only has
an analogue TV output signal (S video) that can be connected
directly in to a suitable SCART socket on a TV. It would need an
additional video capture card in a computer to distribute the
pictures over the Internet.

I might give that a whirl. I guess I could feed the signal to my DVD
recorder?

In for a penny etc......picked one up today. Pic quality looks good
on test. However, inside box mught be a different matter. Hopefully
get it up and running by next weekend.

Well, it's up. Pic is great. With 6 IR LED's, the pic at night is as good as
day.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 20-02-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes

Pete C wrote:

In for a penny etc......picked one up today. Pic quality looks good
on test. However, inside box mught be a different matter. Hopefully
get it up and running by next weekend.

Well, it's up. Pic is great. With 6 IR LED's, the pic at night is as good as
day.

I also bought one and set it up, the night time picture being excellent,
as you say, in fact, the translucent side panels seem unnecessary, and I
wonder whether the birds might be put off.
I feed it into a DVD recorder, as I did with my camcorder, pointed at
the outside of the box when I caught 5 BTs fledging in 2006.
I'm still sorting out the final editing of the clips, which is tedious
unless you have a DVDR with good editing facilities. My ALDI one is
not as good as the Pioneer DVDR I bought since, so I had to transfer the
clips.

Now the question is, - will the blighters use the box?
I would have preferred to set it up in Autumn, with an external coat of
a darkish preservative.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply